Are Tool worth a damn?

Are Tool a quality metal band?

• Yes, they rock

Votes: 108 76.1%
  • No, they suck

Votes: 34 23.9%

• Total voters
Silent Downfall-
wtf so far i am the only one that voted that they suck, come on people.

Oh shit! That's right! What the hell... I almost... thanks man, I nearly forgot. :loco: NO. I don't agree. :D I've always liked them. The only thing that never really settled was his voice. Sometimes I liked it and other times I was like "that one nasal mother fucker!" but, overall, I like the band. I like the drummer a lot.

Triumphant Apostle-
2) they can write a song without the same two note riff played over and over...

Lateralus didn't seem too entertaining at first. Some songs didn't go anywhere. They seemed to be repeating things. A few weeks back I made a death metal sampler tape for a friend. I added a few songs from newer albums, Tool's Lateralus being one. I scanned the whole album quickly looking for variety and intriguing parts. It ended up a toss up between the title track and Schism, which is played daily on the radio here.

Tool definitely has their moments IMO, BIG moments, and that's what has kept me as a fan through the years. I've never turned their music off. I think they're worth a damn.

And what is the "salival version" of Pushit, warsofwinter?

I dont agree with the poll: "are tool a quality METAL BAND?" the answers being "yes, they rock" and "no, they suck".... first off, a band doesnt have to be metal to either rock, or suck.... tool isnt metal, not in the least bit. but they dont rock or suck. they deserve respect for their artistic style, whgich they havent lost at all, even with their music videos, they never pimp themselves or the name tool, by never showing themselves "jamming". But in my opinion, tool is rather dull, and quite overrated. A perfect circle on the other hand is fresh, very good non metal music.

No they don't, but when someone says that they hate them, they sucks and things like that I would be happy to get a explenation why. But I accept if someone dosn't like thier music, everyone have their own taste...I just think that it's "bad behavior" to say such things about a band like Tool.

sure, but what if they really hate them?(or think they suck)

Like we hate Dispatched?;)

Tool.

Drumming, Time Sigs, Production, Effects, Song Structures, etc... as good as it gets.

Guitar (playing, scales, technique, range) - Nothing. He's shit.

Maynard does an amazing job to come up with the lines he does, and he is the saving feature for the music/melody side of it. Its so tragically unfortunate that the guitarist is so shit and has such a limited range of things he can do, i mean there's only so many different vocal lines you can sing over tool-riffs. I dont actually like maynard's heavier voice that much, but thats just personal opinion, i love his clean voice and he's got a very strong voice and can write interesting melodies and such to sing.

Drums are incredible, the time sigs they use are done extremely well (to the point where most people wouldnt even notice some of the weirder time sigs, they are placed purely for artistic reasons). Tools drumming is the way it should be in my opinion, they are using the drums as another instrument to add to the riffs and be an important element, rather than using them purely as a rhythm instrument. I mean there's stand alone drum riffs on Lateralus, there are riffs where the drums are the main instrument and are the largest part of the riff. (not talking about where most band simply drop out the guitars to create an empty feeling.. ). The drum sound is also awesome, imo. I am unsure if he is a tight drummer live, ive heard it said that he is, and ive heard it said that he isnt, but im analysing his drums on the CD (ie what his drums achieve for the songs, songwriting-related stuff).

If the guitarist writes these riffs in the weirder time sigs then thats something i guess, but possibly its the drummer who develops the weirder time sigs and the guitarist is forced to fit in. But every other part of his guitaring is boring, which makes it easier to implement 1 hard technique. There is so much that the guitarist could work on or do differently that would so help in what tool are trying to achieve.

Their use of effects and production is great, though again the guitarist is extremely limited and uses the same weird settings and techniques (ie pick scrapes) over and over.

Its kinda weird. If i look at Lateralus then any 1 song taken by itself and analysed is brilliant. Yet judge the album as a whole and the holes start appearing, and for my ears pretty much every limitation of the band is because of the guitarist.

If he helps construct the songs, then credit to him. If he helps with the production, and layering of effects, then credit to him. Im sure he's got talent in some areas and is responsible for some of the great elements of tool. But tool could be amazing if it werent for him. He is the problem, and a large large problem.

If its not clear yet, i love the band, extremely talented and some great songs, but the guitaring sucks and i struggle to listen to more than 1 song without this becoming an issue. Oh, and my sister overplays them too which doesnt help.

I like Tool, but only Lateralus really does it for me! I mean, when I first heard Lateralus, I didn't like it at all, then tried it again after 6 months and was amazed. Especially the drumming is amazing! The thing that I don't like in older Tool-stuff, is the lyrics, I just don't like humor in music, but on Lateralus, lyrics was much better and it's very well produced album...Well, after all, a band that makes musicvideos for such long songs can't be that bad ;)

Not in my eyes...find Maynord (Dont' care enough to get his name right) His vocals bother me. And I just hate the music. I've yet listened to Tool and have went

"Damn! That riff kick ass!"

Never...it's not NU-Metal/Mall core...but it's close. :D

Originally posted by Austin7
NO EVOLUTION!?!?!?! Danny Carrey has gotten so much more technical and comfortable around his kit since Opiate and Undertow, it's almost amazing. The drumming on Lateralus is superb. Tool is one of the most innovative bands today, and I wouldn't call them nu-metal at all. They've taken music in a totally different direction than anybody before them. The lyrics, if you're into the occult and such, are so deep and entwined. The videos are also just mind-blowing.

there's a difference between maturity and evolution. if you care to notice, their sound has remained pretty similar since their ep. slight alterations: technical aspect, subtle arreangements and a bit more proggy style. their sound is the very same as in the beggining, just a bit more polished. and do you even know what the word "innovative" means, for fuck's sake?

Since discovering them back in '96, I have had nothing less than a deep respect for Tool. While they have unfortunately been somewhat 'mainstreamed' by their numerous singles, it's quite obvious (from interviews, etc) that the four of them have not been tainted by the popularity.

I wouldn't expect someone who's an "all extreme black metal or extreme death" type to enjoy their stylistics, but the more progressive-minded seem to be the fans. I've, sadly, seen that the same kids who dig Korn, Linkin Park, etc., do seem to idolize Tool as well, and this has no doubt given them a bad name in the underground metal community, but nonetheless, Tool's message is a spiritual one: life and all facets of humanity are an endless spiral, but one's life holds the potential for beauty if time is taken to 'breathe it all in'. Maynard Keenan recently said, "It's not about us focusing upon our egos, but it's more of an ego loss ."

Witnessing them in concert twice, once on Halloween of last year and once a few days ago, strengthened the devotion I feel towards this band and their creations.

YaYoGakk.. i listened to Forestall.. It's brilliant:)

I haven't listened that much to Tool yet, but I think it's quite good. And I think they've got the wrong types of fans (i.e. Linkin Park and such):) If they had somewhat the same "image" as Porcupine Tree or something, I might actually like them better.

Originally posted by Mammon
YaYoGakk.. i listened to Forestall.. It's brilliant:)
hehe, thanks :)

I haven't listened that much to Tool yet, but I think it's quite good. And I think they've got the wrong types of fans (i.e. Linkin Park and such):) If they had somewhat the same "image" as Porcupine Tree or something, I might actually like them better. [/B]
The problem is that the guitarist is no better than any nu-metal guitarist, uses very ordinary sounds and effects and chords and etc etc that even the shittest nu-metal band uses, this is why they are so popular. Its easy listening. On a shallow level anyway. Behind that there is a whole side to Tool that i reckon many of the numetal listeners dont even appreciate (beyond using it to say how good tool are). I mean listen to a band like Earshot (i think thats them) and everything about them is trying to sound like tool, yet they miss EVERY important part of the songs that make tool a good band.

And its also the reason why so many people say tool suck, because metal is largely riff based and in that area tool do suck (though they arent necessarily trying to do the riff thing), whereas most metal bands suck at what tool do good.

Its just all because people listen for different things in music and listen in different ways. Tool just happens to be one of those bands that can be listened to by very casual music listeners and also listened to by people who devote their lives to music.

Originally posted by Mammon
I haven't listened that much to Tool yet, but I think it's quite good. And I think they've got the wrong types of fans (i.e. Linkin Park and such):) If they had somewhat the same "image" as Porcupine Tree or something, I might actually like them better. [/B]

It's a shame that the popularity of a band dictates whether or not you like it. Good music is good music, all according to taste. If you like the music, fuck the other fans. Enjoy it for yourself. Don't do anything for anyone else.

Originally posted by Opet
And what is the "salival version" of Pushit

Salival was a DVD/CD set that came out around xmas 2000 (or was it 1999?) to appease the demand for a new album (Lateralus came several years late). It has Third Eye, Part of Me, and Pushit live (Among some other stuff, including a nice cover of No Quarter). All of them sound amazing, but the version of Pushit is phenomenal. Just look for Pushit (live) on Kazaa or something. I guarantee it's one of the best tracks they've ever produced.

---------------

I've been listening to Tool since 1996 and have never really stopped listening to them. Other bands have come and gone, but Tool's always been there. I never get sick of it - only Opeth can stand alongside Tool in my esteem.

I wouldn't necessarily classify them as metal per se, but certainly hard rock. And while they're not the definition of progressive, they've definitely got attributes usually assigned to progressive bands.

Originally posted by Aethernal
I wouldn't expect someone who's an "all extreme black metal or extreme death" type to enjoy their stylistics, but the more progressive-minded seem to be the fans.

I agree completely..

I'm going to see Tool live August 25 - I've never seen them live before. It's supposed to be an experience. On top of that, this tour is said to have the most visually stunning show they've done yet... Only a little over a month left.. :D

Originally posted by Silentjohan

sure, but what if they really hate them?(or think they suck)

Like we hate Dispatched?;)

well:lol: ...that's another story....hehe...don't know..then there's nothing to say!?

Dispatched rocks!?:confused: :lol:
Mother war and final countdown are the only tracks that doesn't sound the same as all the other tracks;)

Otherwise I don't have any answers on that one...

Silent(who's not sure if he gave an answer;) )

Tool does not suck. whoever says that, either hasnt listened to them, or has poor musical taste...and i would assume that most people in the opeth forum have good taste, and an open mind. otherwise they would listen to a band like opeth. Anyhow, Tool along with Opeth are the best around, period.