ask Akerfeldt your questions

I'd love the 1st two albums done with better production, but i doubt they'd do that. They'd probably say that those albums were a document of what they were doing at the time and should be left like that.

opeth_353 said:
I'd love the 1st two albums done with better production, but i doubt they'd do that. They'd probably say that those albums were a document of what they were doing at the time and should be left like that.

reproducing it is one thing(which opeth will probably never do and for a good reason too), remastering is just improving the quality of the sound of the final mix to fit to todays standarts.Hell, it's not even a process the band has to participate.Every band that re-releases an album usually reamsters it.
What opeth did was release a remastered bonus track versions of the first three albums and that so called remastering is no remastering.It sounds exaclty the same.

Did you have to practice to get that Evil voice? I tried it last night and it almost killed me. How do you do it?

paradoxile said:
reproducing it is one thing(which opeth will probably never do and for a good reason too), remastering is just improving the quality of the sound of the final mix to fit to todays standarts.Hell, it's not even a process the band has to participate.Every band that re-releases an album usually reamsters it.
What opeth did was release a remastered bonus track versions of the first three albums and that so called remastering is no remastering.It sounds exaclty the same.
..touché.. obviously didn't read it properly haha. Nah i would like a remastered or reproduced record.. i'd rather reproduced because i think they could make it so much better.. just not with the GR production!

Factorplayer said:
Did you have to practice to get that Evil voice? I tried it last night and it almost killed me. How do you do it?

Erika: Well, I’m glad it worked out to your advantage. [Laughter] As far as your vocals go and your approach to your vocals on the upcoming album, you go from melodic heavenly vocals to the deep demonic growl. Do you strain your vocal chords? Do you perform any specific pre-show warm up exercises?

Mikael: Three cigarettes and a shot of Scotch! [Laughter] But no, it’s no problem for me. The actually hardest part for me is the clean singing, that will put a strain on my vocal chords. But I’ve been doing it for such a long time, it’s more or less effortless these days. As long as I don’t drink so much when I’m sick or if I have a cold or the flu or something and I drink then I will loose my voice otherwise it will be there for me.

source:http://www.fourteeng.net/opeth.html

1) What about the Portnoy/Wilson-project? I'd die for any infos on this one!

2) Martin Lopez update... he is not replaceable. Just listen to Closure live and you know what a creative and good drummer is. This Bloodbath guy is nowhere next to Lopez!

3) Some more personal questions (about his everything, about his musical interest -> just because of him mentioning Camel I recently checked them out and actually liked them a fucking lot)

4) Is Opeth going more into the prog way? First steps were taken with the fantastic additions to the old material on stage done by Per Wiberg (mellotrons, hammond organ and stuff). Will there be more experimental passages like in Closure live? That was so fucking amazing!

opeth_353 said:

I think the production is great

It feels different because of the overall 'sound' of the band

Songs don't always flow as well on Orchid and Morningrise as they do on, say Blackwater Park.

But I don't think they need remastering or anything, they are fine the way they are.

RamsesBringerOfWar said:
I think the production is great

It feels different because of the overall 'sound' of the band

Songs don't always flow as well on Orchid and Morningrise as they do on, say Blackwater Park.

But I don't think they need remastering or anything, they are fine the way they are.
Agreed, the albums are fine the way they are. Remastering them would not produce anything better than the original albums.

I can't really think of any good questions :(

I am one of the very very few fans in India who revels in Opeth's music. I am currently in the US on a temporary basis. Rock/Metal is growing in India, especially the southern portion - a city called Bangalore. Deep Purple, Pink Floyd and Scorpions have all toured this city, in India. But, is there any chance that Opeth might throw a concert there? If so, we would be UTTERLY grateful!!

Jude said:
Agreed, the albums are fine the way they are. Remastering them would not produce anything better than the original albums.
Well, if they could make the drums sound better that'd be an improvement.. but i think the only way the problems i have with them could be solved is by a total production overhaul.. which i doubt they could be bothered with and which isn't really necessary seeing as most people love the albums, me included.

The day Rob Halford dies (as I know Mike likes him), will Opeth shave all their hair off, wear tight leather with whips and have a gang bang as a mark of respect?

Do you still keep in contact with Anders Nordin? What does he think of the direction Opeth has taken MAYH and after. What does he think about Ghost Reveries? Has he ever expressed regret about leaving the band?

Have you ever visited www.opethforum.com ? What do you think of it?

What made you decide to make homosexuality the theme of your latest jokes?

Do the other band members ever complain about you berating them on stage?

how do feel about the other swedish metal bands (apart from hating their music)? like on a personal level, and as musicians, do you respect them as musicians in spite of your hatred of their music?