At this moment, Who is your favorite Drummer??

At this moment, Who is your favorite Drummer?

• Jason Rullo

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Mike Terrana

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Joe Nevolo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mike Portnoy

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Casey Grillo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Anders Johansson

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Mark Zonder

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Other

Votes: 20 31.3%

• Total voters
I did. He's awesome, isn't he? What's your favorite Zonder-era Fates Warning album? I dig Disconnected most(I don't own Parallels).

Yes, he is awesome. He has got his totally own style, I can recognize his drumming only after a few or so seconds.

My favorite Zonder-era Fates album is APSoG (my favorite album of all times), but Still Remains off Disconnected might be their strongest song. It's so incredibly atmospherical, dramatic and sad...

Of the 80's, Perfect Symmetry is my favorite.

Dennis Chambers? Vinnie Colaiuta? Beuford? Buddy Rich? Dave Weckl? Thomas Lang? Marco Minneman?
etc to the infinity that arkimedes could handle.

There are too many good ones to pick a fav. :)

Collapse Generation said:
Yes, he is awesome. He has got his totally own style, I can recognize his drumming only after a few or so seconds.

My favorite Zonder-era Fates album is APSoG (my favorite album of all times), but Still Remains off Disconnected might be their strongest song. It's so incredibly atmospherical, dramatic and sad...

Of the 80's, Perfect Symmetry is my favorite.

Yes... "Still Remains" is their best song... amazing.

Thomen Stauch (Blind Guardian)
Brent Smedley (ex-Iced Earth)
Mark Prator (ex-Iced Earth)
Nicko McBrain (Iron Maiden)
Dan Zimmermann (Gamma Ray/Freedom Call)
Jason Rullo (take a fuckin guess)

:headbang:

You know, Jason is not that good. In fact, most metal drummers only share one thing in common. They are fast as hell. Oddyssey proves he is not that diverse. Listen to A Night At the Opera (BG), at least Thomen plays a variety through each song.

I just want to say the from a drummers perspective, Portnoy IS THE MOST OVERRATED DRUMMER EVER!!!!!!!!!!! :yell: :yell: :yell: I can play nearly everything he can, but somehow everyone thinks he's god. The fills and solos he plays are actually very basic once you break them down. His double kick is often uneven too. Shit, he can't even play doubles with one foot.
Rullo is my favorite metal drummer over Portnoy because his fills are much more solid and he's more tasteful than just pounding the shit out of the set. Portnoy needs to learn that there is something called dynamics. I guess that Portnoy being the frontman of DT lets him get away with all the crazy fills and nonsense. Just because he plays more doesn't mean hes a better player.
However, Dave Dicenso is my favorite drummer off all time at this point. He's a teacher at Berklee College of Music. He was in the Cro-mags and did some stuff with Duran Duran, plus some other solo shit. But he's playing on Petrucci's solo album. Check out some of his solo's at www.davedicenso.com. It'll blow your fucking mind.

.Has anyone even HEARD Liquid Tension Experiment? Most of you seem to be judging Portnoy by his awesome work in Dream Theater. You should check out some LTE, and if you want to go further, see them live, or some of their footage live. When he freestyles, it pretty much contradicts everything some of you have critisized of him.

Sixxxpounder said:
.Has anyone even HEARD Liquid Tension Experiment? Most of you seem to be judging Portnoy by his awesome work in Dream Theater. You should check out some LTE, and if you want to go further, see them live, or some of their footage live. When he freestyles, it pretty much contradicts everything some of you have critisized of him.

I have heard Mike Portnoy in just about every situation possible, whether it be on every DT record, or LTE or Transalatantic or even OSI. I have heard him live several times and seen many of his solos.

His is a damn fine drummer, but in a lot of cases, he is indeed overrated. Portnoy is a proud user of his tool bag, and unfortunately, that tool bag is not very large. He he will use the "double drop" in 60 different ways, and whether it be on a hard rock song, or a soft song (where the drums should lay back) Portnoy always finds room to add in his famous double drop fill.

Jason Rullo on the other hand, is trained, and probably knows more rudiments with one hand than Portnoy knows with both. Is that bad? No. Portnoy has earned a style of his own, and that style is great for DT, LTE whatever. But calling him the best is a taking a step into the wrong direction, because Mike Portnoy is no where near the best.

Listen to Virgil Donati, or Bobby Jarzombek, or Dave Weckl, or Dennis Chambers possible. There is a group of drummers who definitely can find themselves in the "best" category.

I was also wondering what the hell happened to christy... fucking amazing. I was convinced after the first.... 5 seconds of the sound of perseverence, but as the album goes on it only gets better. Out of these choices though, rullo.

Silent Spirit said:
Exactly!

If everything works out, I'll be seeing him, and the rest of the band on May 3rd in L.A.!
headbob.gif
Anyone else going?

Definitely Martin Lopez from Opeth .... drum solo in the end of deliverance is breath-taking...live he is even better

theodyssey said:
I was also wondering what the hell happened to christy... fucking amazing. I was convinced after the first.... 5 seconds of the sound of perseverence, but as the album goes on it only gets better. Out of these choices though, rullo.

mmmm, what do you mean with ''what the hell happened to Christy''?

mrpigonkow said:
I just want to say the from a drummers perspective, Portnoy IS THE MOST OVERRATED DRUMMER EVER!!!!!!!!!!! :yell: :yell: :yell: I can play nearly everything he can, but somehow everyone thinks he's god. The fills and solos he plays are actually very basic once you break them down. His double kick is often uneven too. Shit, he can't even play doubles with one foot.
Rullo is my favorite metal drummer over Portnoy because his fills are much more solid and he's more tasteful than just pounding the shit out of the set. Portnoy needs to learn that there is something called dynamics. I guess that Portnoy being the frontman of DT lets him get away with all the crazy fills and nonsense. Just because he plays more doesn't mean hes a better player.
However, Dave Dicenso is my favorite drummer off all time at this point. He's a teacher at Berklee College of Music. He was in the Cro-mags and did some stuff with Duran Duran, plus some other solo shit. But he's playing on Petrucci's solo album. Check out some of his solo's at www.davedicenso.com. It'll blow your fucking mind.

I can agree with that solo shit, portnoys solo`s sucks. If you here on the LTE record portnoys playing is incredible, in some of the DT songs Portnoy`s playing is easy, but thats Rullo`s also!
And i think one of the reason Rullo is not so well known drummer in the metal is that he dont have his own style like Portnoy!
Anyway thats my opinion, im glad to hear your outhers.

Chainrider said:
I have heard Mike Portnoy in just about every situation possible, whether it be on every DT record, or LTE or Transalatantic or even OSI. I have heard him live several times and seen many of his solos.

His is a damn fine drummer, but in a lot of cases, he is indeed overrated. Portnoy is a proud user of his tool bag, and unfortunately, that tool bag is not very large. He he will use the "double drop" in 60 different ways, and whether it be on a hard rock song, or a soft song (where the drums should lay back) Portnoy always finds room to add in his famous double drop fill.

Jason Rullo on the other hand, is trained, and probably knows more rudiments with one hand than Portnoy knows with both. Is that bad? No. Portnoy has earned a style of his own, and that style is great for DT, LTE whatever. But calling him the best is a taking a step into the wrong direction, because Mike Portnoy is no where near the best.

Listen to Virgil Donati, or Bobby Jarzombek, or Dave Weckl, or Dennis Chambers possible. There is a group of drummers who definitely can find themselves in the "best" category.

Yes, yes im agree with you. Thats exactly my opinion too! Especially in OSI the drums should be more laid back, but no...
You have read my thoughts! Scary! :cool: