The most underrated porg metal musician.

Who deserves more recognition?

• Total voters
Word. Devin Townsend is one of the most talented musicians in the scene - he has been for quite some time.

"Terria" surpasses any prog album released in the last 5-7 years, in fact, I would say longer.

i went with Jason, altho not saying that any of the other ppl on the list dont deserve more recognition. im tired of getting Modern Drummer Magazine every month and seeing crap like "AWESOME PUNK DRUMMING" and "PORTNOY'S SET IS BIGGER THAN YOURS, BUT BUY OUR PRODUCTS AND YOU'LL BE JUST AS GOOD AS HIM!" and crap like that. i mean they have A LOT of quality stuff in there. great interviews with great drummers, lotsa tips and stuff, product reviews, but ... jason's name has only been in there once, for him winning 2nd in the up & coming category of the reader's pole. which i think is a steaming pile of dry cat's crap cuz Jason's been owning those crappy punk drummers since they couldnt even hold their big ol' heads up by themselves. he's most certainly not up & coming cuz SX has been around since 94 and i know he's been focused on drumming for a while before that, while other ppl on that list were from crappy everyday *radio-bands*. I would really like to see Jason get the recognition that he deserves. he has so much to offer the drumming community, yet the crappy talentless punk drummers rule the pages of most drumming mags. and its not just Modern Drummer(which is definately the best drumming mag out there:cool: ). thats just the one i have a subscription to. other drum mags are like that, too.

I went with Rullo, even though Mark Zonder is awesome too. Jim Metheos and Kevin Moore aren't great instumentalists in my opinion, I mean they are good but not incredible. Although they are great writers especially Kevin Moore.

I believe this guy, "Red", is the most underrated porg metal musician ever. A multi instrumentalist who can shred on just about every instrument with the best of them, he never ceases to amaze me with his intricate compositions, remeniscent somewhat of a mix of Mozart, Bartok, and Zappa. Its a shame more don't know of him...
red%20porg_small_small.jpg

I'M the most underrated prog metal musician! I've been playing the stuff for a while now and no one's ever heard of me! It's all because I'm an artist, man, and not a big showoff...

Anyway, from that list I'd probably go for Kevin Moore - I think DT's downhill journey has a lot to do with his departure.

Andersen is a good take, as are Matheos, Werno and Dan Rock. Other people that spring to my mind when I hear "underrated" are Andre Olbrich and Alex Lifeson... how anybody can value some random shredder above musicians with real class eludes me.

Cunt troll-denied777 wrote
devin townsend=overrated bitch.he totally sux ass

He's the only bitch on the above list that sent me a X-mas card so in my book he's a champ.....amazing singer and a great guitarist (doesn't need to bust his chops out on every song....and he did a lot of Vai's guitar harmony parts when he was on tour with him which says something).

Taliwakker said:
Cunt troll-denied777 wrote

He's the only bitch on the above list that sent me a X-mas card so in my book he's a champ.....amazing singer and a great guitarist (doesn't need to bust his chops out on every song....and he did a lot of Vai's guitar harmony parts when he was on tour with him which says something).

Most Symphony X fanatics (that I know), dislike Townsend due to some B.S. he was talking when the two bands were on tour together. Get over it.

Of course, this doesn't change the fact that he's brought something entirely original to the "prog" genre - I can't say that for the 98% of prog (or wank) bands around today.

Yes, Tali, he is indeed a talented vocalist with great range, and can shred the fretboard better than what most people are aware of.

He also has "feel", something most prog nerds can't comprehend these days. Listen to "Deep Peace" for one of the best, well-written, and emotionally driven solos put out there.