The most underrated porg metal musician.

Who deserves more recognition?

• Total voters
My vote goes to Martin Lopez, the Opeth drummer. While he can't achieve the pure technical level of Portnoy, he creates a wonderful atmosphere while maintaining the flow of the songs. He's very innovative and has a very distinct style. Opeth wouldn't be Opeth without him.

López is cool, too. :)

He kinda reminds me of a metal version of Manu Katché, the really cool drummer who's appeared with Peter Gabriel and Rick Wright, among others.

Luis said:
Call me purist, but Opeth is not prog metal IMO.

PURIST!!!!

I bought Opeth's Black Water Park a while ago because I really really liked the logo(i bought Odyssey for the same reason so I thought it might work again).

It was an ok album, nothing too special for me. I too do not consider it prog.

(i have a link to some funny pictures...i didnt want to start a new thread about it so ill put it here for you guys :) CLICKY!!!!!...don't comment on this site, i don't want to change the topic of this thread...just enjoy it)

control-denied777 said:
im sure its more prog than devin townsend band

One word, Terria.

You can't possibly say that is not a prog album.

However, i will agree with you on Physicist and Accelerated Evolution. Not very proggish IMO

Umm.... Prog is not really a "sound", it is moreorless a style. Death Metal is Death Metal and Black metal is Black Metal, but Prog can range from Dream Theater to Symphony X to Kamelot to Pink Floyd to Paatos to Pain Of Salvation. Now compare Dream Theater and Symphony X and you'd find Black metal and Death Metal more similar.

Tomas Bodin is probably the best prog keyboardist out there.

I'm a total Gunter Werno fanboy, but Tomas has ENDLESS creativity, and is the main reason that I love The Flower Kings.

I voted for Kevin Moore, besides his work in Dream Theater, Chroma Key has written some incredibly beautiful songs. "You Go Now" is one of my favorite cds. Also, his soundtracks are perfect for setting the mood/atmosphere

The number one under rated/rarely heard of musician =

Ron Jarzombek

I could talk about him, but he's got a website and the offical forum is actually the Spastic Ink/Watchtower forum here at UM. I've never heard anything like him and his brother Bobbly Jarzomek is insane with his trills on the high hat everyother second (I don't think I've ever heard him use his ride BTW) on the drums. In fact, I want you guys to check this out so much, that I'll give you link to check out some of his song writing processes, videos of him soloing/playing, and guitars he's built himself.

http://www.spasticink.com/

Browse the website and seriously check him out! I know someone here will have to like it!

Yeah, I have to go with Ron Jarzombek too. I thought i was going to be the only person to name him, but i think i'm the 3rd now. not bad for someone who wasn't on the original list. I think Jarzombek is more creative then Romeo and his technical skills are at least as good.

Divine Wings Of The Machine said:
Yeah, I have to go with Ron Jarzombek too. I thought i was going to be the only person to name him, but i think i'm the 3rd now. not bad for someone who wasn't on the original list. I think Jarzombek is more creative then Romeo and his technical skills are at least as good.
Ron is awesome ,but he sometimes sounds like a computer

Rullo. Thats it! He is at least as qualified as Portnoy. They have some technical diversities, nonetheless, Rullo is awesome!!!