avant garde metal

Linqua5150

New Metal Member
May 8, 2008
can someone recommend me some stuff similar sounding to bucketheads tribute to dimebag if youve ever heard it? i love this song

this song is a great representation of what im looking for.
i like this weird style of writing. the really wierd sounds and the beats that sound in the middle of nowhere that work out anyway with like symbols crashing to exemplify nothing in particular etc, dissonance and all that. i already have the skullgrid album by beholed... the arctopus its pretty cool.

EDIT: preferably instrumental, though not a necessity.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have listened to these guys for a while not realy avant garde. more like shred instrumental prog ish. ive already explored alot of that end of the genre. paul gilbert ftw!

Yeah, that's what I thought. I mean, it's just prgressive.

Avant Garde metal is Borknagar (they're avant-garde black metal), but they sound nothing like what you're looking for.

well technically all the bands people label as avant-garde metal aren't really avant-garde, they're just experimental. Though I don't think buckethead fits in the commonly used definition of "Avant-Garde Metal" either. I haven't ever heard a real Avant-Garde Metal band so I suppose it's alright to use the term for simply experimental bands, but if real avant-garde metal were to gain popularity, there could be some issues.

Check out the song Our Reality Dissolves by Korova. It's so awesome, unfortunately the band did not stay together for long.. you can also try the song One Play No Script by Peccatum..

If you like Behold... the Arctopus, I assume you know of Dysrhythmia. They aren't exactly metal but are still quite heavy. Check them out if you haven't already heard them.

Some other bands:
Ved Buens Ende (avant-garde black metal. Really meloncholic stuff.)
Psyopus (they're more tech-grind, but they write some of the most chaotic and technical music I've ever heard.)
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum (not exclusively metal but still has a strong metal presence. I consider them one of the most innovative bands in the avant-garde/progressive scene. Check out their album Of Natural History.

wow thanks jimm. dysrhythmia is awesome. sgm reminds me of pink floyd on more drugs haha pretty good stuff.