Avid cripling HD?

I think Avid bases his market only on the fact they are the "standard" but they are losing popolarity because of their choices.
No support for 64bit, limited ram usage, etc... I mean, if you're the leader of the market and you aim to be the best, you have to do some choice before your rivals.
In my opinion you can put on the market a new daw without features that your rivals already uses for 2 years.
It's very sad because in my opinion PT is the best daw I've ever used but it lacks some stupid features...I mean, we are in the 2010 and we can't deal with a stupid ADC limitation or dongle forcing.
If I buy a DAW I wanna use it everywhere, because if I wanna edit on a plane or on a train I can't carry my fucking 19" rack interface.

Slightly off topic but this is some interesting reading,
Looks like there is as much dissapointment on the inside of avid as the outside:

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Avid-Technology-Reviews-E2291.htm

Thanks for the link! Great to read some inside opinions.

You always have to take these comments and ratings with a grain of salt because the people not being satisfied are way more likely to vent their frustration there than the people who are actually satisfied.

But that being said, if you compare that corporate climate with some of the competitors', Avid's is quite significantly lower.

Personally, this leaves me with even less hope for that company to get back on track.

Thanks for the link! Great to read some inside opinions.

You always have to take these comments and ratings with a grain of salt because the people not being satisfied are way more likely to vent their frustration there than the people who are actually satisfied.

But that being said, if you compare that corporate climate with some of the competitors', Avid's is quite significantly lower.

Personally, this leaves me with even less hope for that company to get back on track.

No problem,
it certainly makes you wonder doesnt it,

They have to be struggling now, look how hard they are pushing the 50% of retail LE to HD upgrade,
i get emails about it almost daily and actually had digidesign call me asking if i was interested in an upgrade, - and the guy didnt even ask why when i told him id just sold my HD system :loco:

Avid need to stop rolling round buying up all these other companies and concentrate on what the have already for a little while or the floor is gonna fall out from under them.

Thanks for posting the GlassDoor.com link! The rumor that is circulating about Avid being primed by their new CEO (Gary Greenfield, 2007-present) for a sell-off to the highest bidder is to me the most important (and likely) revelation. Greenfield has brought in a team of his hand-picked insiders to do this, so it seems, and he has a history of doing similar things at other companies.

Culturally, the company seems to be losing a lot of its development team core, which will make it very difficult for them to surmount the technical challenges ahead. I've worked for corporations at a similar crossroads and I have to say, it isn't any fun working for a company during these kinds of transitions, but things can improve afterwards, it's just entirely dependent on who Avid's new owners will be, and what they plan to do.

To that end - wouldn't it be crazy if Apple bought them? Or Microsoft? Or Adobe? All are possible, IMO.

The rumor that is circulating about Avid being primed by their new CEO (Gary Greenfield, 2007-present) for a sell-off to the highest bidder is to me the most important (and likely) revelation from GlassDoor.com. Greenfield has brought in a team of his hand-picked insiders to do this, so it seems, and he has a history of doing similar things at other companies. Thanks for posting that!

Possible, but why would AVID spend so much time and money re-branding "DigiDesgin" to "Avid" on a well established brand that is on the market.

wow yeah Apple or Microsoft would be mental !

very bad.... very very bad....

Possible, but why would AVID spend so much time and money re-branding "DigiDesgin" to "Avid" on a well established brand that is on the market. .

Arguably, that's precisely why they are doing this. They want to make the business turnkey. Think about it - unifying the business makes it more immediate for another corporation to take on. Not only that, it makes the business a lot more comprehensible to new customers who may be confused and unfamiliar with the history of the acquisitions and sub-brands.

The intention is clear - sell another company on one unified turnkey multimedia software company, not 5 or 6 disparate brands with redundancy, overlap, and conflicts of interest.

Yea Ive been waiting for them to listen for years. I have kinda just gave up all hope and im looking to move on to a new daw. Unless they pull a rabbit out of there hat real soon Im over protools.

Ive spent the past 24 hours trying to get protools instaled on my new I7 and windows 7 with no luck (fucking beta driver bullshit). Now im trying XP again and its been like 8 hours of the same bullshit with no luck on protools. Reaper works great though on my new system with no fuss. Funny i built this Pc on specs from the protools forums and its still a nightmare to get it working. I mean this alone has got me wanting to just move on. FUCK YOU AVID!!!

Yea Ive been waiting for them to listen for years. I have kinda just gave up all hope and im looking to move on to a new daw. Unless they pull a rabbit out of there hat real soon Im over protools.

Ive spent the past 24 hours trying to get protools instaled on my new I7 and windows 7 with no luck (fucking beta driver bullshit). Now im trying XP again and its been like 8 hours of the same bullshit with no luck on protools. Reaper works great though on my new system with no fuss. Funny i built this Pc on specs from the protools forums and its still a nightmare to get it working. I mean this alone has got me wanting to just move on. FUCK YOU AVID!!!

Get a MAC!! ....... (run and Hide :saint:)