Avid cripling HD?

I dunno, I have no interest in the HD cards but the HD software is much more appealing than M-Powered or LE. Anyone I know who runs HD still mixes entirely natively unless they are forced to use a plugin that is TDM only. Computers are pretty ok in 2010!

@Blackest: But still, I don't think I'm getting through here haha. The cards are limited, limited by the DSP chips on them. I don't think the HD software/DAW itself was ever advertised as being limited when it came to voices. You want more voices with TDM? You get another card, or a 3rd card. HD isn't limited, the cards are - unless I missed something along the way. The thing is now you can avoid using the HD cards altogether by running native, assuming it's even stable.

@Adam: Definitely. I'm hoping this is the push Avid needed to get something out to replace HD... a native HD would be perfect.

@Blackest: But still, I don't think I'm getting through here haha. The cards are limited, limited by the DSP chips on them. I don't think the HD software/DAW itself was ever advertised as being limited when it came to voices. You want more voices with TDM? You get another card, or a 3rd card. HD isn't limited, the cards are - unless I missed something along the way. The thing is now you can avoid using the HD cards altogether by running native, assuming it's even stable.

The concern is that somewhere through all of this, it has been construed that even the cards themselves can support WAY more voices and it is an artificial limit to coerce people into buying more accel cards... I'm not sure if there's any truth to this but there's a bunch of big players in the PT world that know more about it than me and are quite convinced this is the case, so I'm curious to see where it goes...

The concern is that somewhere through all of this, it has been construed that even the cards themselves can support WAY more voices and it is an artificial limit to coerce people into buying more accel cards... I'm not sure if there's any truth to this but there's a bunch of big players in the PT world that know more about it than me and are quite convinced this is the case, so I'm curious to see where it goes...

Said it way better than I would have. :cool:

I agree that HD Native would be sweet as well. It is weird thinking of a version of Pro Tools HD that wouldn't require core/accel cards.

I checked it out, out of curiosity... and it doesn't work well, using my Duet as the interface I get all kinds of pops/clicks/glitches when trying to play back a session, I wouldn't even dare to try and record a session with a band under these conditions... but hopefully this will be the kick in the ass Avid needs to make Pro Tools open platform

I checked it out, out of curiosity... and it doesn't work well, using my Duet as the interface I get all kinds of pops/clicks/glitches when trying to play back a session, I wouldn't even dare to try and record a session with a band under these conditions... but hopefully this will be the kick in the ass Avid needs to make Pro Tools open platform

I tried it with my FF800, and I can't record audio or get a click sound going. Plugins work, but don't have delay compensation, and I can import audio just fine... but it's pretty glitchy. I suppose it might be cool for session transfers if you receive something that's just PT and you need to consolidate wavs, but as-is the crack is unusable for anything serious.

I love the implications, though - we need a completely Native, non PCI version of HD.

I can record and playback audio just fine using HD and I'm doing it through my onboard sound on my Macbook. The M-Powered version will work perfectly with my Profire 2626 as well... Probably just going to use that instead of my legit copy because of the extra busses :/

I don't know why people are not complaining why every CPU etc you buy is "crippled", they all can run much faster when overclocked....
maybe it would have been possible for Avid to unlock more voices for HD1 and HD2, but would they have been able to guarantee the stability of the system?
or would it just have been another PC user-overclocker-tweaker DAW without professional reliability?

every car you're buying could be faster with some minor tweaks...but does that mean the manufacturer is crippling the engine? or does it just mean the manufacturer wants to guarantee a long lasting engine in a reliable car?

the other thread got deleted cause "leakage news" are not allowed on this board, that includes software/cracks.
I do see why this tpic is interesting nonetheless, so I'll keep it open until the shitstorm starts.

(will move it to the right subforum though)

I checked a forum too, but it's not HD.
It's an M-Powered with some unlocked functions like 128 tracks instead of 64, and something else.
I friend of mine tested the HD and it has the HD icon, the HD word in the menu, etc...but it's M-Powered, because there isn't the HD mixer, there is no I button.
Someone answer me that you can use the HD unlocked only with HD hardware......but it's a ridicolous thing because.....why should I use a cracked HD if I already have all the legit hardware? :D
To me the only usefull things to unlock should be the track numbers and the possibility to use PT without the M-Audio interface.

just one more reason why no one should support AVID in my opinion

I'll gladly support REAPER, who is created, controlled, and owned by Justin aka Winamp creator, who is already a millionaire and doesn't have any bad motives with his product. Cockos (his company) is also only a 2 - 3 man operation. So instead of someone in a suit hiring someone in another country to program the next product update, you've got a humble guy working from home, fixing bugs posted on open messageboard.

I'll gladly support REAPER, who is created, controlled, and owned by Justin aka Winamp creator, who is already a millionaire and doesn't have any bad motives with his product. Cockos (his company) is also only a 2 - 3 man operation. So instead of someone in a suit hiring someone in another country to program the next product update, you've got a humble guy working from home, fixing bugs posted on open messageboard.

You making the full move to Reaper Joey?

Anyone who knows a thing or two about computer science can easily deduce that all of Avid's limitations on the various editions of Pro Tools are enforced via the software itself, and are semi-arbitrarily decided upon for business reasons. I think a large portion of their core professional HD user base realizes this and begrudgingly accepts it, at least that's the impression I've always gotten.

This is not really about software piracy anymore - it's a cry from the user community to decouple Pro Tools from the associated proprietary hardware. Any company that tries to forcibly couple popular hardware with software will end up battling a certain element of its user base over this very issue. Apple is fighting this same battle with Mac OS X and with the iPhone.

The worst irony is that every HD user I know ends up using a third-party ADC and DAC system with their HD rig, whether it's Apogee, CraneSong, Prism Sound, Lavry, etc. - none of them are using the stock Avid converters. It really does beg the question - if Avid isn't interested in competing at that level, why are they in the hardware business at all?

Tough times are here for Avid, and to survive in the next 10 years, they will have to make some equally tough decisions. It will be interesting to see what they are willing to do to stay relevant.

It's easy to find deception if your perception is that you could have had more for your money with no consequences. As Lasse pointed out you've got to draw the line somewhere any come up with a figure that you know even a fairly modest system can support. 64bit OSes are still new, imagine the noise users would have made if AVID came out with HD and said it could have 1000 tracks but you need 12gb ram etc etc. Sure soon enough this will be reality but for now that's more money you need to spend on hardware.

I think 006 is right, the cards are a big deal.

No doubt AVID is falling behind. The whole LE/HD model IMO is antiquated and needs to be radically overhauled if PT is to survive.

I not entirely sure what the crack does, there are various postings, but the notion of PT running native should be no surprise to anyone, Pro Tools Free ran native and was a huge boost in the arm for PT. Maybe a the crack is a good thing.

I checked a forum too, but it's not HD.
It's an M-Powered with some unlocked functions like 128 tracks instead of 64, and something else.
I friend of mine tested the HD and it has the HD icon, the HD word in the menu, etc...but it's M-Powered, because there isn't the HD mixer, there is no I button.
Someone answer me that you can use the HD unlocked only with HD hardware......but it's a ridicolous thing because.....why should I use a cracked HD if I already have all the legit hardware? :D
To me the only usefull things to unlock should be the track numbers and the possibility to use PT without the M-Audio interface.

You get all the other HD features as well that don't run on the DSP chips. PDC, Input Monitoring and TDM plugins are based on the DSP so they can't be run natively anyways.

You do get the advanced track grouping, all the import session data options, a bunch of new key commands, VCA tracks, extra edit window scrolling options, etc. It is an HD crack, not just an M-Powered crack with a new icon. It includes an M-Powered crack as well with the up'd track and bus counts, but not any of the other HD features that come with the HD crack.

I also believe this HD crack will function with full HD features if you actually do have HD hardware connected and aren't running the emulator.

maybe it would have been possible for Avid to unlock more voices for HD1 and HD2, but would they have been able to guarantee the stability of the system?
or would it just have been another PC user-overclocker-tweaker DAW without professional reliability?

This. Even though I'd love to see a non-crippled native version of ProTools, this is one of the things that makes me feel good about working with it. I know it was intended to work with that particular hardware in a particular way, and so far it's been doing a good job on that. Works for me, at least.

Umm, so you're basically saying it's better to have 2-3 guys working on a product intended for a professional market as a kind of a hobby, than having a big company with lots of employees providing it? I have absolutely nothing against Reaper, it's great for what it is, but I just can't compare it with PT.

No offense dude, but I can already see the off-topic and equipment subforums full of your "reaper sucks compared to cubase" topics ;)

I don't think the HD software/DAW itself was ever advertised as being limited when it came to voices.

Um, yes it is?

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/support/docs/Pro_Tools_HD Accel_36074.pdf

"In practical terms, the use of HD Accel cards result in higher voice counts across all sample rates (44.1 – 192 kHz)"

Samplerate 44.1/48 88.2/96 176.4/192
Pro Tools|HD 96 48 12
Pro Tools|HD Accel 192 96 36
Previous Max 128 64 24

edit:

It's under the "number of voices" on hardware options

Pro_Tools_hardware_buffer_size_window.png