Awful news....don't know how else to say it

It is starting to sound like Dime is the only band member who was killed.

Like gugs said, this is having more of an effect on me than I would have guessed. I'm shocked.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dimebag is one of my absolute heros. Motherfuck!!!

I don't know what else to say. Seriously. This is a terrible thing. You guys can go on arguing about who should have died and why it doesn't matter and so on, but in the end Dimebag was one of the MAJOR reasons I got into metal and guitar. Metal and guitar are two of the major influences in my life. I spent 1000s of hours in my bedroom as a child playing along to Pantera albums.

Fuck . . .

I have yet to read that Vinnie is dead.... I read that he was shot at and someone jumped on top of him...

Regardless, this is FUCKED. Being from Texas, it hits home hard. They flew the flag for metal in Texas... this is fucked up to wake up to.. I leave my tv on at night and this is one of the things that woke me from my slumber... :cry:

I expect this kind of shit from my other fave genre of music, rap, but this is ridiculous. WTF is up with the midlands of our country?? First they vote a shit head back in to office, then Mac Dre (a popular Bay Area rapper) is killed somewhere in the breadbasket (can't remember exactly where) and now this!

Just another example of how fucking moronic guns are, what waste of the human mind.

J. said:
If it's on NBC news, then chances are it's true, unless someone copied the news site.

How am I a moron? People are shot and killed everyday. Hell, 3 or 4 of the top news stories in Houston are shootings every day. Just because those two played in a band doesn't mean they were more important than anybody else.

Like I said, it sucks, and I truly am sorry it happened, but where's your bleeding heart for other shooting victims?
Oh SHUT THE FUCK UP ALREADY.

Yea so i wake up like any normal day to this. While i may not listen to Pantera anymore, man this is so surreal. As with others they were a huge part of my growing up. R.I.P. Dime and the others unfortunate enough to lose their life at that show.

Waking Up Insane said:
scaring the Ghosts away wake me when i'm sane
on Mardi Gras day the cold of death
it may tear you from my breast
yet I know you are the smoke that is my breath
under the sky to live is to die
raven black the night and I
opel on the highway side
as we pass her a million times this night
don't seem like no sun exists that could eclipse this
scaring the Ghosts away wake me when I'm sane
again you are the smoke that is my breath
this bouquet of regret
radiation black the night and I
radiation black the night and I
don't seem like no sun exists that could ever eclipse this
waking up insane on Mardi Gras day
just wake me when I'm sane

Wow, I'm glad to see so many of my old UM/Carnage friends in here paying their respects. I woke hungover as a motherfucker to no hot water, and hoping that maybe this story would go away or be disregarded. Not the case.

Today is Pantera day in my house. Glasses will be raised in tribute of (yet another) fallen hero. :(

I wonder if we'll smile in our coffins while loved ones
Mourn the day, the absence of our faces, living, laughing,
Eyes awake. Is this too much for them to take?

Too young for ones conclusion, the lifestyle won.
Such values you taught your son. That's how.

Look at me now. I'm broken.
Inherit my life.

One day we all will die, a cliched fact of life. Force fed
To make us heed. Inbred to sponge our bleed. Every
Warning, a leaking rubber, a poison apple for mingled
Blood. Too young for ones delusion the lifestyle cost
Venereal Mother embrace the los$. That's how

Look at you now. You're broken
Inherit your life.

Pretty hard-hitting lyrics in retrospect.

Such horrible news. I grew up listening to Pantera and Damageplan were a great band. :(

It's just so... absurd and horrid that this psycho killed innocent people who were just doing their jobs (including something for their fans) or attending a concert.

RIP and my thoughts go out to all the people killed in this incident. :(

I was never a huge fan of Pantera and grew to dislike them intensely, but Darrell was a very talented guitarist and this type of violence has absolutely no place in music and will only have negative effects on the metal concert experience and further stigmatize our music in the eyes of the public. He will be missed.

This is really tragic news for metal. I dont know who said it before in this thread, but the media will latch on to this and make a bigger deal about the violence, because metal symbolizes violence to the popular masses. There will now definitely be metal detectors at entrances. I'd say tour attendence goes way down, insurance way up.

This is just indicative of the sickness of our country, jesus one will not be able to go anywhere anymore, without getting searched like a common criminal. I accept it, but man, there are so many fucked up people in our country, compared to the rest of the industrialized world--something must be wrong for one to think that by killing your idol out of nothing more than jealousy and possesiveness, you are doing something to improve your own life.

J I thought your comments were horribly insensitive. When people are shot with no motive, as total innocents, then I think everyone deserves to at last show some respect. Sure a lot of people are killed every day, but alot of those are because of different circumstances, and an acceptance of risk that the victim took- if they were a drug dealer, or a convenient store clerk, etc.
The whole community mourns when innocents are killed, he problem as you stated, is that we are so used to such killings, we have no feeling anymore.

speed said:
J I thought your comments were horribly insensitive. When people are shot with no motive, as total innocents, then I think everyone deserves to at last show some respect. Sure a lot of people are killed every day, but alot of those are because of different circumstances, and an acceptance of risk that the victim took- if they were a drug dealer, or a convenient store clerk, etc.
The whole community mourns when innocents are killed, he problem as you stated, is that we are so used to such killings, we have no feeling anymore.
I apologize for sounding insensitive. But I think my comments were misunderstood. It depresses me like hell when I read of ANYBODY being shot and killed, no matter who they are. After all, everyone is someone's child. I mean, I was shaken up after I learned a coworker was the victim of an attempted carjacking. He hit the gas and the asshole opened fire, hitting my coworker's son in the shoulder. This shit should just not happen.

Am I going to lose sleep over this? No. Am I sorry this happened? You bet your ass, and my thoughts go out to the families, because more people, not just Dimebag, were killed in this tragedy. Hopefully something good will come out of this though, such as stricter gun laws. One can hope.

I think I know where you were coming from; that it is sad we have been so conditioned by killing, we dont even care anymore. You just were a little too cynical and flippant in the beginning. If it was W Bush, I would have had a much different reaction however.

I'm still in shock. Regardless of how you felt about the music, Dimebag was an American metal icon, his contributions have been influential and far reaching and I believe you are seeing that in droves today. I think this tragedy has affected many a metal fan in more ways than they could ever have visualized, including yours truly. This is a sad and terrible day for all of us.

I'm so proud to see the outpouring of affection, support and respect around these parts. You guys rule.

Rest in knowing you have had such a profound influence on the great community you are always a part of. Rest in knowing that your family, your friends (including Phil, who I am sure is just devastated right now) and your legion of fans are all lighting candles and raising a glass in your honor today because you mean so much to them. Rest in knowing that you will never be forgotten. Rest in peace Darrell.

I'm still just lost today. Its probably hard for a lot of you to understand but Dimebag was my Michael Jordan. I idolized his guitar playing. My guitar style is more closely related to Dimebag than to any other guitarist. This is the worst loss in the entertainment industry I've ever experienced. I was a tiny bit affected by Kurt Cobain's senseless act of selfishness, but the Dimebag situation is terrible. In fact, I don't think any person in the entertainment industry would have affected me more.

How the fuck can a song like Use My Third Arm make you wanna cry????

Ain't supposed to be like this.

I am a ,member of many rap message boards, and this is a topic on there as well. I am shocked at how many people he's touching. The rap community is stunned that this happened, not even in rap has an artist been murdered on stage in front of fans. And that's where everyone expects it with all of this beef these guys exude.