AYDY Sound

(__Joonas__)

† Followed the Reaper †
Mar 23, 2005
Finland
I listened to some Inearthed and then switched straight to Are You Dead Yet? It's so damn visible how little the keyboard has been used to create astmosphere. Actually, not at all. For example Hatecrew Deathroll has some ultra pretty keyboard shit in the background (Angels Don't Kill, Sixpounder..) Is it purposeful, that they wanted AYDY to sound purely heavy as fuck?

I'm not talking about the mixing work. Everybody knows the guitars can't be heard, and that sucks, but they haven't been used the way they did before to create the "feeling". And with keyboards they only do some ultimately cool stuff in Punch Me I Bleed (and T,L&S chorus if you listen super carefully.) Of course AYDY might sound "atmospheric" after listening to Death or something..

Only the intro to Living Dead Beat (plus the general psychological affection of the song AYDY, especially with the parts with low piano and the dissonance guitar riff) is something legendary about the album. I just hope they won't keep going this same pure trash path on their next album.. Of course there's this other kind of attraction about songs like In Your Face, it's so clear that it bites almost real. I'd like a mix of FtR & AYDY?

Just tell Alexi fucking Laiho to use some fucking keyboards when he's writing the fucking songs so we can double fucking enjoy them

Reactions: jmbullet
ehh yeah even though what you said is confusing and doesn't make much sense I agree that AYDY is lacking in keyboards.

when i saw them live i noticed how little he has to do during those songs usually playing something short and then walking off the stage

Just tell Alexi fucking Laiho to use some fucking keyboards when he's writing the fucking songs so we can double fucking enjoy them

Well, but In their songs there are keyboards.... and keyboards parts are really cool, and I like them a lot, cause they characterized CoB's songs sound, which is unique and different from other bands... and Janne is really one of the best keyboardists on earth, I like him too much.

But personally I wanna hear keyboards, yes, but I wouldn't like to hear more keyboards than guitar... I mean, in a metal song I wanna hear a "strong" guitar sound, an aggressive and heavy sound... and if there would be too keyboards, the whole thing would sound to my ears like soothed, as if the song would get softened...
But this is only my opinion, sure.

(probably I can't explain good what I mean, but I hope at least someone will get it..)

┼Victim of the Night┼;5614064 said:
Well, but In their songs there are keyboards.... and keyboards parts are really cool, and I like them a lot, cause they characterized CoB's songs sound, which is unique and different from other bands... and Janne is really one of the best keyboardists on earth, I like him too much.

But personally I wanna hear keyboards, yes, but I wouldn't like to hear more keyboards than guitar... I mean, in a metal song I wanna hear a "strong" guitar sound, an aggressive and heavy sound... and if there would be too keyboards, the whole thing would sound to my ears like soothed, as if the song would get softened...
But this is only my opinion, sure.

(probably I can't explain good what I mean, but I hope at least someone will get it..)
yea its kind of like putting a skate boarding bannana into this picture
skateboardin.jpg

Reactions: I_AM_CANADIAN!
┼Victim of the Night┼;5614320 said:
But... does this mean that you agree with me? I hope so...

(Sorry, I ask cause it often happens that I misread... )

To a certain extent, I agree with your method, I think heavy things sound good and shouldnt be tampered with soft keyboards but not with cob, I think it makes their sound and would have improved the album, but yes it would kill the moods of bands like Testament, Exodus, pantera(even though they suck) , or something like cannible corpse ( even though they suck as well)

To a certain extent, I agree with your method, I think heavy things sound good and shouldnt be tampered with soft keyboards but not with cob, I think it makes their sound and would have improved the album, but yes it would kill the moods of bands like Testament, Exodus, pantera(even though they suck) , or something like cannible corpse ( even though they suck as well)

Yes, cause in my post I meant only that I wouldn't like hearing too keyboards, in the sense that if there are more keyboards than guitar... well, it gets softened, and for me it loses most of the metal sound...
But then I was the first who told that CoB's song is unique thanks to ths sound of our great Janne's keyboards, that I really like a lot, and that every CoB's song should never lack...

No, no, you're not getting my point. Because you obviously have not listened to COB THAT carefully.. you need a set of speakers and Surround sound mode to hear those backing keyboards (from two of the speakers you situate to the back). It sounds more like blowing to a wooden pipe than some stupid keyboard playing.

Angels Don't Kill for example has this really quiet bright sound on the back. And with the whatever you call the cool part of the song, in the first one the keyboard is pretty much imitating what the guitar does, and the sound is "heroic", but on the latter one the sound is "sorrowful". Then in the T,L&S chorus there's this really low voice, like something's taking you down. You know you can really create the SOUL and the SPIRIT to the songs by using this method. I think it's in a lot of songs, but it's too damn quiet. In AYDY I think it doesn't exist.

you need a set of speakers and Surround sound mode to hear those backing keyboards (from two of the speakers you situate to the back).

WHOA hold up with the ultra modern electronics :lol:

Personally, I don't care what the amount of keyboards is as long as I like the song as it is.

I listened to some Inearthed and then switched straight to Are You Dead Yet? It's so damn visible how little the keyboard has been used to create astmosphere. Actually, not at all. For example Hatecrew Deathroll has some ultra pretty keyboard shit in the background (Angels Don't Kill, Sixpounder..) Is it purposeful, that they wanted AYDY to sound purely heavy as fuck?

I'm not talking about the mixing work. Everybody knows the guitars can't be heard, and that sucks, but they haven't been used the way they did before to create the "feeling". And with keyboards they only do some ultimately cool stuff in Punch Me I Bleed (and T,L&S chorus if you listen super carefully.) Of course AYDY might sound "atmospheric" after listening to Death or something..

Only the intro to Living Dead Beat (plus the general psychological affection of the song AYDY, especially with the parts with low piano and the dissonance guitar riff) is something legendary about the album. I just hope they won't keep going this same pure trash path on their next album.. Of course there's this other kind of attraction about songs like In Your Face, it's so clear that it bites almost real. I'd like a mix of FtR & AYDY?
beefcake.jpg