Am I the only one here who likes Are You Dead Yet?

Krulla

New Metal Member
Sep 27, 2006
Hello, long time lurker, first time poster.

Before anyone claims otherwise, no, I'm not a neu-metal kiddie. I've been listening to (and playing, as a bassist) to metal most of my adult life, and my playlist mostly includes Power Metal (Blind Guardian, Helloween, Dragonforce, etc), Melodic Death Metal (Arch Enemy, Kalmah, old In Flames, before they sucked), and old Heavy Metal (Iron Maiden, Manowar, etc).

So. Ahem.

Hello, I am Krulla and I like Are You Dead Yet?
At first I didn't like it, at all - Mostly because it didn't sound like the Hatecrew I know and love - However... I can honestly say I think it's as good as Follow the Reaper and Hatebreeder.
It's different than the masterpieces Hatebreeder and FTR, to be sure - And some people claim this is due to the Hatecrew "Selling out".. However.... the opposite is literaly the truth. If they had kept churning out HB and FTR copies for the last five years, that would have been selling out - When they released those two, they were little more than bright eyed, fresh fashed, borderline alchohlic teenagers from some obscure middle of nowhere town in Finland. They have obviously changed and matured as people, and if they're music didn't reflect that, they'd be selling out, making copies of their most popular records for simple monetary gain, not artistic value.

AYDY? is a good album. Sure, there are a few not-so-hot songs, but there are also plenty of good ones - Living Dead Beat and We're not gonna fall are awesome. There are, to me at least, no utterly aweful songs on it.
People complain it doesn't include enough shredding, like HB and FTR, but shredding isn't the scale on which musicianship is judged. The shredding on AYDY? is good, and fits the songs - it's not shredding for shredding's sake. I've got a 16 year old cousin which is a excellent guitarist, and can shred like it's noone's business, but does that make him a great musician? No. It means he's a good guitarist. Music isn't about showing the world how technically good you are, it's about making art.

It's not their best, sure, but it's not bad either.

So, if you actually LIKE Are You Dead Yet?, speak up!

i feel the same. at first i was really dissapointed, but the more i listened to it the more i liked and now i like it just as much as any other album.

No, you're not the only one, but it can seem so by reading on this forum.
In my opinion, Hatebreeder and AYDY are the only two albums were almost all the songs are good, sure, FLTR had some masterpieces that succed over aydy, but overall, i think aydy is a better album, and i agree with almost everything you said.

Even though this topic isn't new, it's always nice to hear something like this instead of the usual "bodom suckz now!"

Krulla said:
Hello, long time lurker, first time poster.

Before anyone claims otherwise, no, I'm not a neu-metal kiddie. I've been listening to (and playing, as a bassist) to metal most of my adult life, and my playlist mostly includes Power Metal (Blind Guardian, Helloween, Dragonforce, etc), Melodic Death Metal (Arch Enemy, Kalmah, old In Flames, before they sucked), and old Heavy Metal (Iron Maiden, Manowar, etc).

So. Ahem.

Hello, I am Krulla and I like Are You Dead Yet?
At first I didn't like it, at all - Mostly because it didn't sound like the Hatecrew I know and love - However... I can honestly say I think it's as good as Follow the Reaper and Hatebreeder.
It's different than the masterpieces Hatebreeder and FTR, to be sure - And some people claim this is due to the Hatecrew "Selling out".. However.... the opposite is literaly the truth. If they had kept churning out HB and FTR copies for the last five years, that would have been selling out - When they released those two, they were little more than bright eyed, fresh fashed, borderline alchohlic teenagers from some obscure middle of nowhere town in Finland. They have obviously changed and matured as people, and if they're music didn't reflect that, they'd be selling out, making copies of their most popular records for simple monetary gain, not artistic value.

AYDY? is a good album. Sure, there are a few not-so-hot songs, but there are also plenty of good ones - Living Dead Beat and We're not gonna fall are awesome. There are, to me at least, no utterly aweful songs on it.
People complain it doesn't include enough shredding, like HB and FTR, but shredding isn't the scale on which musicianship is judged. The shredding on AYDY? is good, and fits the songs - it's not shredding for shredding's sake. I've got a 16 year old cousin which is a excellent guitarist, and can shred like it's noone's business, but does that make him a great musician? No. It means he's a good guitarist. Music isn't about showing the world how technically good you are, it's about making art.

It's not their best, sure, but it's not bad either.

So, if you actually LIKE Are You Dead Yet?, speak up!
+ 8128394652189045609786327189304587326718930458576385217839405686735218790456673278190549867362719045987832813 DUDE

I myself declared so many times that I prefered the old CoB's style and sound (indeed my fav album is "Hatebreeder"), but I also like "Are you dead yet?"... It's different from the past but it's always first quality stuff, in comparison to what some other bands make ...
I liked and I still like Children of Bodom... and I will.

Yes, I like Are you Dead Yet alot.

I'd put that album alone above most other albums by most other bands in the world, tbh.

But I really don't think we need a thread like this, it'll probably get out of hand and end up with a big pathetic argument.

I agree, what's with all these people turning their backs on Bodom just because this album doesn't sound like one from the past. I'm a late Bodom fan, the first COB song I heard was "In Your Face", so naturally, I like AYDY a bit more than the others, but that doesn't mean I don't like the others. I just hate these people who claim to be such diehards, but the minute a band makes the most minor change, they hate em.

i do like the album but not as much. TL&S, living dead beat and in your face were pretty good songs from that album

I like it a lot, although it's my second to least favorite studio album. From favorite to least favorite:

1. FTR
2. HB
3. HCDR
4. AYDY
5. SW

Yeah i agree it's a good album.People started bashing it right away for some random gay reason and most of those people are starting to warm up to it after listening to it more.
I have loved it since the first time i heard it...i actually knew i was probably gonna love it after seeing them perform Are you dead yet live.

Wow, Im actually surprise at everybody that is saying they like it. I really thought that there would be a shit-load of people saying "Oh I hate it, its so bad, and not Bodom at all, blah, blah". But I was wrong. And I do like the album. It is not my favorite, but its still a damn good album. I mean alot of people say that its that bad, but its probably just becuase they are used to old Bodom. For people that are not biased, they think this album is really a great album, I know that Bravewords even gave it a 9/10, which is pretty good, considering all the other metal bands out there.

I don't mind it at all - never really got into the AYDY? bashing like a lot of others... just listened to it

Ben Johnson said:
I like it a lot, although it's my second to least favorite studio album. From favorite to least favorite:

1. FTR
2. HB
3. HCDR
4. AYDY
5. SW
:OMG: