Am I the only one here who likes Are You Dead Yet?

wildchild: same with me. The first time i listened to it, i thought it was ok, but after listening to it a billion times, i'm in love with the album.

I liked it from the minute I listened to it, but didn't really love it like the other albums for a couple of days. I don't know if it'll ever be my favorite, (though I don't actually have an all time favorite COB album, it just depends on whatever I've listened to last), but it's still a great, hell, even an awesome album, even in comparison with HB, FTR, and the other COB albums. It's just a different style. COB can still play all their instruments just as well as before. It's not like they're some 2 or 3 decade old band who is getting too old to handle it anymore; (although some of those bands can still kick ass) they're still in their prime. There's no reason why they can't still play just as well as they did before. Don't even look at it in comparison to SW, back in 1997. Look at HCDR from 2003. That was only a few years ago, and almost everyone loved that album, even the AYDY haters. It's ridiculous to think that musicians like COB could go from the level of skill they had then to "sucking" in only a few years.

Anyway, I'm done ranting, and I think I'll take a nap.:Smug:

If you play a HDCR song back to back with a AYDY song, you can totally hear a HUGE difference in sound quality, HCDR was mixed way better, it has a much bigger, fuller sound in the guitars, bass, and drums. Compare Bodom Beach terror with In Your Face, you'll find that COB is not very "in your face" at all...

This all stems from the fact that they changed recording studios mid album (TL&S was recorded at the old place where they did FTR and HCDR), play T,L&S and then any of the other songs off the new album and even there you will find a huge difference.

now I dont like AYDY very much,and no it is not because they tried something new,TL&SO was a very different song,but I personally think that song is very kick-ass,proably the best track on AYDY

Authentic Metalhead said:
It's Bathory's "Blood On Ice".

Blood On Ice is one of my top all time favourites...I've got all the old Bathory vikings, but haven't heard any of the 2 Nordland albums...how are they?

I like Are You Dead Yet ? a lot. In Your Face is the song that got me into bodom, and I love it. I think AYDY is a good album no matter what people say. I have all of COB's albums and I love them all.

MasqueReaper: there is a big differnce between bodom beach terror and In your Face, but that's not a very good comparison. In Your Face is a completely differnt song from that one. If anything should be compared it is Angels Don't Kill and Punch Me I Bleed. Both songs are really good but like you said the stuff on HCDR was better produced so Angels Don't Kill was beter. In Your Face was a really good song and i thought it was "in your face". The start of that song started out really well and the chorus fitted perfectly. I think that song was better than Bodom Beach TERROR

I couldn't really get into AYDY. None of the songs really appeal to me, except Trashed, Lost and Strungout. It's a very different sound.... I definately prefer old Children Of Bodom.

Hum i like AYDY but nos as much as SW or Follow the reaper.. Mostly because there's a few songs i can't bear in it like "If you want [... ... ] War", "Next In Line", "Bastards of Bodom" ...

so does alot of people in this board =/ but it still a good album in some way

Yeah :) .

Lady_Laiho said:
MasqueReaper: there is a big differnce between bodom beach terror and In your Face, but that's not a very good comparison. In Your Face is a completely differnt song from that one. If anything should be compared it is Angels Don't Kill and Punch Me I Bleed. Both songs are really good but like you said the stuff on HCDR was better produced so Angels Don't Kill was beter. In Your Face was a really good song and i thought it was "in your face". The start of that song started out really well and the chorus fitted perfectly. I think that song was better than Bodom Beach TERROR

The comparison I was making was sound quality. HCDR has a much more powerful sound to it (you know, mixing). AND because Bodom switched studios mid-album, AYDY has a sound disparity between T,L,&S and every other song (Trashed sounding way better). Just listen...

The album sounds too "industrial" for my taste, but I still like Living Dead Beat, We're Not Gonna Fall, TLS, and the title track... so it's still an ok album, imo.

I like the new album but after all this listening i must admit it doesn't beat Hate crew deathroll which is their best so far. But i like the musical style of the new album altough everybody else seems to be dissatisfied with that. What makes it worse than Hate crew is that some of the songs are a little insipid. But then again, Alexi's voice is at its best and the sounds are perfect! So i didn't have to be disappointed.

Maybe these mockers are just some sort of underground motherfuckers that cant accept anything popular, lol

The reason why I don't like the album:

There is a huge difference between European metal and American metal. Since I had begun to listen to extreme metal I had always perfered the Euro sound over the American sound. In Flames, Nightwish, Hypocrisy and Children of Bodom (this is back in 2001/2002). The music was great because it was liking NOTHING I had heard before in Canada. While pop music was being influenced by rap in America the Euro scene would take none of it. Since I couldn't stand rap (still can't) it was not what I wanted. I wanted the aggression and speed of Hatebreeder and the sadness and beauty of Century Child.

Children of Bodom lead the way for me. The music showed me that it didn't need to have popular influences to be absolutely killer music. Solos were fucking cool and never went out of style (or even went away, people say solos disappeared from music. They just disappeared from pop music on TV). But with each release you could see the progression change. Follow the reaper followed a more death metal feel, HCDR was more of a thrashy Slayer feel and AYDY with a more Pantera type American metal feel. And with me it is progressively worse because it is not the sound that I PERSONALLY want to hear. So what do I do? I listen to other music and past releases. Just not AYDY.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it is metalcore or has metalcore elements. I don't think it does at all. The solos are still there and blazing away, they sould great too. I love the solos in Not Gonna Fall. But the influences are easily seen from bands like Lamb of God, Slayer and Pantera (I don't like any of those bands). The lyrical content has changed from songs about death and the grim reaper to songs about drinking and getting beat up. This is not what I want to hear, so I don't listen to it as much anymore.

The best way to sum it up is that over all, it is a good album for what it is. I think Children of Bodom will always be the best of whatever genre they cross over too. Alexi is just a very talented musician along with Roope, Janne and the rest. There is no way they would let the talent level slip. The problem is that the genre they are crossing into is a much lower technical level. Not as many riffs, instrumental parts, solos are not as important as melody, etc.