Am I the only one here who likes Are You Dead Yet?

Being a guitarist, I have to say this album isn't their best. But you know what? It's still Children of Bodom--it's still the great music but a little (okay maybe a lot) different. I listen to this album when I am working out and stuff but I hardly ever listen to it on my real free time, because as a guitarist I want to learn songs that will actually help me improve my skills and Are You Dead Yet? doesn't help me a whole lot. Plus, I just love the sound of the other albums, with exception to Something Wild.

I think this comes because I started listening to Children of Bodom not too long ago, I was looking for something great to play and this was it. I bought Follow the Reaper, not knowing how good it would be, and I almost dropped a load in my pants. So, not too long after that I go and buy Are You Dead Yet? I thought it would be the same and I was glad it was different. I'd hate to say it, but a lot of the songs on Follow the Reaper are a lot alike, it would suck if they just kept with that style (like Dragonforce).

The album really got me liking Children of Bodom, so I bought more. Although I laughed at the album for the silly guitar, I kept listening to it more and more, and it has kind of grown on me. When I went and saw them, I wasn't really paying attention to the song they played, because I was just like "shit it's bodom! fuck they rule!" They were really great on all of their songs (this was when I only had Follow the Reaper and Are You Dead Yet? so I didn't know all of what songs they were playing either).

I understand people not liking the album because of the lesser guitar and whatnot, it's just not something you'd blast in your room alone because you'd feel retarded, but it sure as hell gets the party going more than any of their other albums (especially Something Wild). And even though I love this album, I just hope the next album is different, that's what they've done so far and that's what's worked fucking great so far.

After I hear Sins of The Past, I will tell you my real opinion of AYDY. Because if Alexi can still shred like he did in Sinergy, then I will take into perspective that they are just trying different shit.

AYDY is my 2nd favorite album from the band. It's really good and holds my attention much longer than all of their albums except Hatebreeder. All of their other albums, don't hold my attention as much so I tend to rate albums by my attention span. With that I say it's my 2nd favorite album.

no no I like the album as well. Its just that COB was a better band with its older songs(HCDT, TLS, hate me, bed of razors, etc.)

AYDY is just a less COB like album. I like it tho, especially IYWPPFW

Same thing I went through when I first listened to AYDY. I didn't like AYDY becuase it wasn't the same material that got me hooked on Bodom. But after a few months, listening to it again and again I started to realize the musicianship the album contains. For some reason I think Follow The Reaper and Are You Dead Yet? give off the same vibe in the music, or maybe they're just my favorite albums... Anyway, AYDY is an album that old-bodom fans need to work a groove into.

Every album had a different feel to it. SW had more of a dark, mysterious neo-classical vibe, HB was more upbeat, FTR was pure heavy metal with a heaping helping of ambient tones, HCDR was bordering more on a straightforward metal sound with some of the old neo-classical/keyboard elements, and AYDY had more of an urban, industrial overtone to it. Those are my impressions, anyway.

Authentic Metalhead said:
Every album had a different feel to it. SW had more of a dark, mysterious neo-classical vibe, HB was more upbeat, FTR was pure heavy metal with a heaping helping of ambient tones, HCDR was bordering more on a straightforward metal sound with some of the old neo-classical/keyboard elements, and AYDY had more of an urban, industrial overtone to it. Those are my impressions, anyway.

I think HB and HCDR are similiar vibe, and FTR + AYDY are similiar too. Hah whenever I listen to Bodom I put them in that order anyway.

Grimes said:
I think HB and HCDR are similiar vibe, and FTR + AYDY are similiar too. Hah whenever I listen to Bodom I put them in that order anyway.

It's fun to listen to their entire discography in one go, it gives you a different perspective on the progression in their career than if you listen to them sporadically and out of order (like I usually do :))

Nikotiini said:
omg... a miracle just happened... Krulla put every stupid fucking hater in the universe who has a gay ass opinion that "bodom sucks now" on SHUT MOUTH!
Awesome points dude. :kickass:

I think that it is funny that you come to an opinion forum and ask for people's opinions and then insult them for giving you their true thoughts. I guess if we were all robots things would be better for you.

Here is my opinion: AYDY could have been better. How do I know this? Because I own an album called Suicide By My Side, which features Alexi Laiho and Roope Latvala ripping the most insane melodies, harmonies, and solos (yes both of them play absolutely mindblowing extended solos on practically every song) that I have ever heard. AYDY did not even come close to living up to that, so I was dissapointed. There isn't a single song on AYDY that rocks as hard as "I Spit on Your Grave" (T,L,&S and Living Deadbeat come close but no cigar). I hope that the next album kicks it back up a notch as far as complexity, and I especially hope Alexi takes his thumb off of Roope and lets him contribute more next time around. There is my opinion, go ahead and whine about it.

you said username said:
i do like the album but not as much. TL&S, living dead beat and in your face were pretty good songs from that album

Yes! and "Punch me I bleed" is also very good, for me...

Nikotiini said:
omg... a miracle just happened... Krulla put every stupid fucking hater in the universe who has a gay ass opinion that "bodom sucks now" on SHUT MOUTH!
Awesome points dude. :kickass:

That made pretty much no sense to me :erk:

BucketBanger9000 said:
After I hear Sins of The Past, I will tell you my real opinion of AYDY. Because if Alexi can still shred like he did in Sinergy, then I will take into perspective that they are just trying different shit.

Obviously, he can. They still do they're old shit live... so he can obviously still shred like he did back when they did the old albums..

I like AUDY? but I understand why some ppl don't like it. AUDY? is different from COB's previous albums and some ppl just don't like it. Opinions... However, I think that's stupid to say that they suck just because they're trying to do something new and we don't like it. We can't say that Alexi is playing worst just because we don't like the album. I prefer FTR, SW or Hatebreeder (These are my favourite albums from COB) but I like AUDY? too.

I like it alot, maybe it's even my favourite (but that's really hard to say).
Every album so far has been a development of the last one, and I've thought of them all as the "best" COB-album during the years

The whole AYDY-bashing thing was so fucking silly from the beginning.. it doesn't differ more from the previous album then any of the other.
But of course people who only listens to Imperanon, Warmen, Yngwie and so on will prefer Hatebreeder over AYDY. It's just a matter of taste and that some people are more open-minded than others regarding new influences to the music

No, you're not the only one. I love AYDY. It's a great album! Every album differnt and unique in its own way. If AYDY sounded really close to HCDR then it would just be the same material. We're Not Gonna Fall was a really good song just like you said. All the songs had really strong choruses and the guitaring with ALexi's vocals was really just hardcore and down to earth. "punch me i bleed" and "angels don't kill" were both heavy and slow, but they had differnt feels. Angels don't kill had a lot of really heavy power chords and Punch me i bleed was more bassy and agressive. So overall, AYDY was good but there could have been some things that could be better.

Authentic Metalhead:I just bought Bathory's "Blood Fire Death" album and now i'm totally out of money for the COB dvd.

Nikotiini said:
let me rephrase that then:

Dear Sir,

Krulla made a few very excellent points in his statement. It would be difficult for an individual to make a remark to counter Krulla's statement because of the level of thinking that Krulla used to make the comment.

Thank you,

Nikotiini

After reading it for about 4 times i understood it, but thanks for your effort !:loco:

akamouzis said:
i feel the same. at first i was really dissapointed, but the more i listened to it the more i liked and now i like it just as much as any other album.

same here, i would really like it if it wasnt by children of bodom