Ayreon

Wander. Listen to the following three albums:

Operation Mindcrime
Rage For Order
Empire

and ignore the rest.

Åkerfeldt isn't as historically important but his band kicks a lot more ass.

Historically important to metal...? Never heard of this "queensrÿrche"... I guess that bands like Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath are "historically important to metal", but I don't know about this queensÿrche. It depends on what kind of impact it has had to metal music... And I really don't know if it's been that big if I've never heard of them. /(not that I know much about music, but still...)

This post is interesting.

"I dont know if its that big (of an impact) if Ive never heard of them" "not that Ive heard alot of music" [sighs and shakes it off]

Queensryche? One of the origional heavy metal bands, released an Ep in 83 and full album - The Warning in '84. Hit everyone that was into heavy metal hard in '88 with Operation Mindcrime and came to a broader audience with the more accessable Empire in '90. Impact ? pretty serious. They could also be said to be one of a kind due to no real copy cats that I can think of... they had their own thing going on... although (read below)

Have you heard Queensryche ? Of course you have, their influence exists in many current recordings.
----------------------------------

Akerfeldt is a great singer, when he sings. I also feel he and Opeth will be historically important, same as I feel Gildenlow and Pain of Salvation will be. The so called death growl carries no harmonic value and is monotone, so it is what it is. As good as Akerfeldt sings he doesnt have the dynamics of Tate... but so few do........:heh: Opeth is, so far, the only band with cookie monster vocals that I enjoy and its because of the movement and feel of the music and his singing when he sings. So if this old Maiden, Queensryche, Savatage, Fates Warning, Megadeth, No Name, Symphony X fan can connect to Opeth... I would think someone that likes Opeth would connect with Queensryce. In fact I would say they carry a similiar groove in that neither took to the thrash or speed angle of metal. In fact, sitting here listening to Opeth right now I would say the similarities musically are astounding, though Opeth had many more influences to draw from than the origional creators of Heavy Metal. They also have a long ways to go before they kick more ass...
------------------------------------

It kind of funny, but I have little doubt that a few of the previous posters, 20 years from now will be saying what a great band Opeth was and still is or "would be" and some young blood will be giving them the "dont give a shit about old stuff"... and they will sigh.

Look Watch Listen... thats what Akerfeldt and Gildenlow did.

Historically important to metal...? Never heard of this "queensrÿrche"... I guess that bands like Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath are "historically important to metal", but I don't know about this queensÿrche. It depends on what kind of impact it has had to metal music... And I really don't know if it's been that big if I've never heard of them. /(not that I know much about music, but still...)

QR is important to a certain niche of metal, but nowhere near as important as Zeppelin or Sabbath in the big picture. You should check them out though. Operation Mindcrime and Empire are their only real "must-listen" albums.

Queensryche? One of the origional heavy metal bands, released an Ep in 83 and full album - The Warning in '84. Hit everyone that was into heavy metal hard

Queensryche seemed like another rock band especially not metal with Metallica , Megadeth and Slayer all putting out much heavier music during that same time span....

You're really rating them high which is your right... Just don't speak for "everyone" because you're way off base...

another one that has'nt got a clue what heavy metal is or rock for that matter
--------

I also fail to see what Zeppelin had to do with metal, they were at the forefront of hardrock which wained some when disco and punk hit and everyone thought Foreigner, Journey and Blue Oyser Cult was the tits of "hardrock", Queen and even Rush went somewhat limp. Heavy Metal is an entirely different sound and feel than Zeppelin. Influence yes, metal no. Queensryches sound lives in heavy metal today, I only remember a few pop metal bands hittin on the harder Zeppelin sounds.

modern science has proven:

everytime a heavier metal is discovered
all other metals turn to rock

dut dada

Wander. Listen to the following three albums:

Operation Mindcrime
Rage For Order
Empire

and ignore the rest.

On second thought, ignore "Rage For Order" and "Empire" as well. Especially the former is painfully trite at times... production and sound are rather interesting and make it a rather important record for all of progressive metal, but the songwriting is mediocre. The only QR recordas actually worth buying are "Operation: Mindcrime" and "Promised Land" in my opinion.

I'm starting to think that having so many guest musicians is Arjen's way of making up for the bad flow/cohesion of Ayreon albums. It's like "wow...this really suc--- oooh shiny."

Queensryche seemed like another rock band especially not metal with Metallica , Megadeth and Slayer all putting out much heavier music during that same time span....

You're really rating them high which is your right... Just don't speak for "everyone" because you're way off base...

You're so lost...

You try to speak as if you actually remembered the mid 80s....

Your opinion is law. or not.

razoredge. metal? seriously? credibility -100

WTF ?

Rather than respond to being insulted as my beliefs are an island unto myself, I decided to make this classifacation thing really epic and really br00tal

OK, Its been determined by a handful that the only Heavy Metal that is honestly metal is new thrashy metal and death metal with the old thrash bands hanging by a thread and only allowed such classifacation by default and given a buy. These genres will from here on out be the only allowed the tag of Heavy Metal

Now this leaves all the old Heavy Metal bands to deal with. First of all they werent metal and it was all a lie. So well throw them back into Classic Rock along with the various pop metal bands which are really going to be a pondorous burden.

Now we have another problem, they sound totally different than the Southern Rock, Hard Rock, and New Wave bands we've already decided was simply Classic Rock, now we need to degrade these present "classic rock" bands. I believe at this time we also need to bring along the popmetal/hair metal/glam metal/commercial metal bands to because theres lots of room to add them in with the former Southern Rock, Hard Rock and New Wave bands. Therefore we'll give all of these former genres the statis of being simply Rock n' Roll

Shit! now we have another problem. Buddy Holly, Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis and clan were Rock and Roll but are nothing like the former "classic rock and commercial metal bands" bands we've just degraded to R n'R, so what to do with these Dudes ? What to do... what to do... I know we'll call them Standards.

But wait, we cant have these Dudes in with the likes of Sinatra and Fitzgerald so we'll now call the former Standards artists and songs Classical

Damn! this is so easy once you get going on it !

Just one problem left, the classical catagory has been held by Mozart, List, Beethovan, Bach and such for way too long anyhow so now we'll just call that music Ancient

Problem solved and the handful can breath easy knowing they made such a impactive and br00tal change on the classification of music.

The rest of the world now just needs to simply "catch on" and then all will be good.

On the Seventh Day we shall all rest. :worship: