Ayreon

great vocalist, lots of ass, first part sounds more like a Dickenson style to me which also brings Tobias Sammet to mind. So who is this? Balance of Power? I'll need to check them out.

He only sings on their (Balance of Power) cd Heathen Machine.
His other band Biomechanical are pretty cool...but he sings with more of a Phil Anselmo vibe on those cds.

I honestly do appreaciate peoples enthousiasm for Gildenlow and his music. Like I said way back in the beginning of this Tate/Gildenlow discussion, its impossible to sway a die hard Tate fan. I've run into the same with Halford fans and I never really got the Halford #1 thing, not that Im saying he cant sing, hes awsome, but lacks some of my requirements to obtain top honors. I've even heard people say "Now OZZY! thats a vocalist" and I'd be speachless. I know theres hords of people that like Neil Youngs voice and that really leaves me speachless. Im sure you'd all appreaciate that... me speachless..... or at least without my fingers... :lol:

Tate uses less lower octave range but I've heard him there occasionally and in excellent form. Tates naturally voiced highs were extremely powerful and amazing in his youth. Still today for being 48.

Gildenlow sings all over and in many strange ways, some of which I like. Im also OK with falsetto, got used to that during my Uriah Heep days but none the less I have no songs where I hear Gildenlow sing high and strong in a natural voice like Tate. Granted the style/trend of singing has changed and there was great emphisis on that high wail or scream thing in Tates early days but hes one that really stood out and he doesnt really come off as a "screamer" like so many others.

The power thing ? All I can say is - are you crazy ? Not an insult, a joking but friendly "open your ears". Take a listen to OP. MC and then steer me to one song, let alone a whole recording that has Gildenlow blasting it out like that. Well infront of the backing music, where the songs during the vocals were about the vocals and the message.

Now Russell Allen, he meets my requirements for top honors and hes got POWER, you know.... balls, ass.... he puts it out there. Yet, a totally different singer than Tate. Tate is clean, Allen is raspy or clean but both singers put it out there. Thats what I like about Stevens too, lots of grit, expression and power but can tame right down for a different mood and expression, but still strong and powerful. Im quite impressed with Sammets voice as well, though I dont like all of Edguys songs due to that power metal thing.

Theres alot of great vocalists and some have really stood out during metal and hardrocks history. Tate is undisputedly one of them.

I had the Tate conversation with a well seasoned, local professional, old school hardrock/metal/blues head like myself. I made it clear that I was just talking voice, timbre, dynamics, not style of music or taste or favorite band/singer, ect. I said... "Tate is the man". He said he'd have to pick Steve Perry. Now to me, thats a valid but impossible arguement. Journeys wanky assed pop music would be the "deal breaker" for me. Perrys and Tates voices are totally different, I'd say ones a tenor and ones a saprano but Perry really could sing. Put it all out there, up front of the music with amazing tone, powerful attack and dynamics.

I've done lots of listening, about 8 PoS songs have been on my player for weeks (just deleted another one today) but I just cant quite seem to put Gildenlows voice up there, for reasons I've already beat to death. Close but no cigar.

Once again I truely enjoy peoples enthousiasm and the guy is talented.

I
Take a listen to OP. MC and then steer me to one song, let alone a whole recording that has Gildenlow blasting it out like that. Well infront of the backing music, where the songs during the vocals were about the vocals and the message.

I had a clever reply, but copy/paste is easier:

"All I can say is - are you crazy ? Not an insult, a joking but friendly "open your ears". "

besides, if Ken and I are actually agreeing on something for once, then we must be so right it's not even funny...

I had a clever reply, but copy/paste is easier:

"All I can say is - are you crazy ? Not an insult, a joking but friendly "open your ears". "

besides, if Ken and I are actually agreeing on something for once, then we must be so right it's not even funny...

funny but doesnt work, "show me the money" "wheres the beef", seriously, no ones given any back up, sorry but that doesnt support the case.

This brings us to the questions: "What is cliche and what is not?" and "Why is cliche cliche?"

Someone must have made it cliche. And somehow this all makes me think that it's stupid to say that everything cliche is NEVER GOOD.

"I'm gonna love you baby forever" is never going to be original. It was original once, it was bearable twice, tenable a few more times, and then it became cliche. Now lines like that just make me cringe because of how incredibly uncreative the artist is. You can sarcastically poke fun at that kind of thing without actually using it. As well, I expect more from someone as talented as Arjen. Perhaps his talents are only musical and not lyrical. I don't think he's written anything good lyrically. Star One was passable.

Åkerfeldt has never done anything as important as the Queensryche ep, operation:mindcrime, empire, etc. Yeah, queensryche sucks these days, but opeth ain't doing much better, and first few opeth albums (while fantastic, don't get me wrong... love them) are not nearly as historically important to metal.

That said, i think Mike is a great vocalist and compared to Tate these days, sure he's better. Still in his heyday, Tate was one of the masters. Watch Operation:Livecrime.

"Historically important".... LMAO.......

I didn't care for the ball sqeezers back in the 70s & 80s and I still don't today....

Any of you Qeensryche fans hear Mystic Force's Man vs. Machine disc?

Historically important to metal...? Never heard of this "queensrÿrche"... I guess that bands like Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath are "historically important to metal", but I don't know about this queensÿrche. It depends on what kind of impact it has had to metal music... And I really don't know if it's been that big if I've never heard of them. /(not that I know much about music, but still...)