Current 93
Cryptopsy
Immortal
Nurse With Wound
Demilich
Dødheimsgard
Sigh
Thergothon

Probably a few more I'd consider better than Opeth. :)

Mumblefood said:
Mr. Bungle
Neurosis
Isis
Godspeed You Black Emperor

:)

The Isis song Maritime from Oceanic is one of my favourite songs EVER.
Godspeed You Black Emperor are just too damn good, neurosis I haven't got into as much as the others. Mr.Bungle and anything Mike P does is just amazing.

Opeth are still my second favourite band (next to CoF actually) but I would say these bands above and others are more talented or more diverse blah blah, but I still listen to Opeth more. Bands like Isis are a treat for me that I won't over indulge myself in, whereas my 2 favourite bands I could listen to all day.

Well, I could and probably have listened to Maritime on repeat for way too many hours before... :worship:

KJones said:
Arcturus
Adagio
Age of Silence
Green Carnation
Peccatum
Solefald
Winds

Everyone who likes Opeth should especially check out the ones in bold.
I already checked out Arcturus, Solefald, Winds and Green Carnation.

I loved the first two and I'll soon get The Sham Mirrors and Red For Fire.
Winds are pretty cool.
Didn't like GC that much.

I only heard about Age of Silence.

Among these bands as good as Opeth, I must put Pain of Salvation and Death.

opeth_353 said:
.. i want to hear Deathspell Omega and Ayreon - i've heard nothing but good stuff about them. Any reccomendations as to which albums i should look into ordering?

Deathspell Omega - Si Monvmentvm Reqvires , Circvmspice is their defining moment , Kénôse the next MCD just slays as well.

Be sure you know Isis , they are the best active band by far to me.

Opeth are great but bands that I think are as great or greater, Therion, Edge of Sanity, Nightingale, Death, Arcturus, Samael, Borknagar

vampyrouss said:
:)

The Isis song Maritime from Oceanic is one of my favourite songs EVER.
Godspeed You Black Emperor are just too damn good, neurosis I haven't got into as much as the others. Mr.Bungle and anything Mike P does is just amazing.

For Isis in same album, I love Carry most.
and GY!BE really good shit! Dead flag blues awesome.:headbang:

Has anyone heard those Isis Oceanic Remixes? I heard a little bit of it, but it was drowned out by people talking and stuff, but I think it has Mike Patton doing Maritime and some other people doing other songs. I'd like to hear it properly!

vampyrouss said:
Has anyone heard those Isis Oceanic Remixes? I heard a little bit of it, but it was drowned out by people talking and stuff, but I think it has Mike Patton doing Maritime and some other people doing other songs. I'd like to hear it properly!
oh..I don't know it have remix version..

Yeah it seems like there are at least 4, but LPs with like 2 songs on or something. Not sure which I heard... I think it was the Mike Patton one.

Agalloch are wayyyyy overrated on this board. They're alright, but are nothing close to Opeth.
I guess it's all down to taste though really - I can understand that a big doom metal fan may consider them better, just as a black metal fan could consider Burzum, Ulver and Emperor better.
I personally think Flower Kings are fuckin' awesome.

vampyrouss said:

I have it, but I don't like it very much. The remixes are quite boring and vary in quality a bit too much to make it a pleasant listen.

KJones said:
Opeth was my favorite band for a long time, and still is, but I also discovered some other bands that even though they are less known, are just as good:

Arcturus
Adagio
Age of Silence
Green Carnation
Peccatum
Solefald
Winds

Everyone who likes Opeth should especially check out the ones in bold.

How you gonna list Green Carnation but not In The Woods?