Bands that are just as good as Opeth

These are some bands that are very good.
Agalloch
Anathema
Arcane Sun
Atheist
Arsis
Burzum
Blue Man Group (the Audio album is very metal at times)
Darkthrone
Death
Drudkh
Emperor
Immortal
Isis
Kvist
Lykathea Aflame
Mastodon
My Dying Bride
Nile
Origin
Peccatum
Porcupine Tree
Ulver

I'm just as likely to listen to any of these bands as Opeth.

By the way, I saw Isis on Saturday and they were amazing.
It was possibly the best show I've ever seen a band put on. Aaron didn't say a word in between songs. It was just non-stop Isis for 1:15. At the end they did what seemed to be a 15-20 minute jam where they brought out a third guitarist. Very cool. Merch was cheap as hell too. $12 shirts and $25 hoodies. Well done Isis.

Hahaha I remember a friend send me a gp4 riff and asked my opinion I replied "Sounds like Agalloch"

"who are they?"

"A shittier version of Opeth"

"...Oh, thanks..."

MasterOLightning said:
By the way, I saw Isis on Saturday and they were amazing.
It was possibly the best show I've ever seen a band put on. Aaron didn't say a word in between songs. It was just non-stop Isis for 1:15. At the end they did what seemed to be a 15-20 minute jam where they brought out a third guitarist. Very cool. Merch was cheap as hell too. $12 shirts and $25 hoodies. Well done Isis.

Sounds good! My friend said they were amazing too, I need to go see them live!

Ikil said:
I certainly compare Enslaved to Opeth though. Enslaved, for me, do for black metal what Opeth does for death metal.

I think that's true.

Other great bands:

In The Woods
Arcturus (many people mentioned them, but it's true...)
Pain Of Salvation
Peccatum
Ulver

Procella said:
Arcturus (many people mentioned them, but it's true...)

If you're an Arcturus fan you also need to check out Winds. Two of the members are Arcturus members, one former and one current, and the best two at that imho.

KJones said:
If you're an Arcturus fan you also need to check out Winds. Two of the members are Arcturus members, one former and one current, and the best two at that imho.

Also memebers from those bands are in Age of Silence - love Andy Winters key work

KJones said:

I have their album 'The Imainary Direction Of Time' but I don't like it. I don't know exactly why, but this music bores me...

MasterOLightning said:
At the end they did what seemed to be a 15-20 minute jam where they brought out a third guitarist.

Maybe Celestial (the tower) + the remix on SGNL> 05

Pink Floyd, Meddle-Animals.
The Beatles.
Bob Dylan on his good work.
Porcupine Tree.
Led Zep at their peak.
In Flames on Jester Race.

I consider none of the bands mentioned before as good as Opeth. It's funny, my previous favourite bands haven't been that way for very long periods, and their "favourite" status has been quite instable... but for the couple of years I've listened to Opeth, I'm liking them more and more all the time.

It's pretty funny what bands some of you consider "underground". I guess this is what happens when Opeth tours with popular metalcore bands and they're featured/talked about on Uranium.

svish said:
I already checked out Arcturus, Solefald, Winds and Green Carnation.

I loved the first two and I'll soon get The Sham Mirrors and Red For Fire.
Winds are pretty cool.
Didn't like GC that much.

I only heard about Age of Silence.

Whatever you do, stay far, far away from Adagio. It's a cheesefest, just like the band they ripped off, Symphony X.

svish said:
Among these bands as good as Opeth, I must put Pain of Salvation and Death.

Well, when it comes to all out metal, in my opinion, Death be the kings.

PS Whoever said Aphex Twin ... hats off to you.:wave:

Dev said:
Maybe Celestial (the tower) + the remix on SGNL> 05

Don't think so. It was instrumental. I'm not familiar with the remixes, so I don't know about that. Unfortunately there's no Isis forum that I know of, so I couldn't find out. No one else there seemed to be sure what it was, so it could have been new material.

Why radiohead, if you dont mind me asking?

I like many bands more than Opeth, but they still rate pretty highly in my opinion.

Final_Product said:
Why radiohead, if you dont mind me asking?

Why not? ;)

I don't know, cause I love them. Been listening to them since I was 12. OK Computer is my favorite album ever. I'm really not a death metalhead, seeing as my other favorite bands are Pink Floyd, The Mars Volta, At the Drive In, etc.

Radiohead are indeed great. I like the Kid A-Hail to the Thief-era most, but I have all their albums and none of them sucks.