Bands you feel are overrated

pretty much any deathcore/scenegrind band
pretty much all Finnish neoclassical melodeath (that means you too, COB)
and no offense to cookiecutter, but most (if not all) slam death is an excercise in futility.

also these bands:

Necrophagist
Wintersun
Satyricon
Cannibal Corpse
Six Feet Under (I'm with the Greys on this, how does this band sell albums?
Deicide
Lamb Of God
Slipknot (see my comment about SFU)
I agree with your list except LOG. Adler is a fucking phenomenal drummer and they are a kickass live band. Whether you decide you hate them on cd...just give a try in an indoor live setting. They tear it up.

I think Artillery and Vio-Lence are overrated because I think they're both terrible bands and the general concensus is that they are thrash metal gods. I feel the same way about Turbo and Toxik but... I just didn't have the heart to throw those two into the mix...

Not all music is about atmosphere. I know what you mean, but BDM and slam relies primarily on groove, extremity, and being primitive!

I know, I actually don't mind SOME brutal death, I just think slam takes it too far. I don't particularly entertain the idea of wiggers in Devourment shirts frequenting shows I go to. Not saying you're one, but it seems the type of genre that attracts that crowd.

I agree with your list except LOG. Adler is a fucking phenomenal drummer and they are a kickass live band. Whether you decide you hate them on cd...just give a try in an indoor live setting. They tear it up.

I'll take your word. its doubtful that I'd go out of my way to see them, though.

I know, I actually don't mind SOME brutal death, I just think slam takes it too far. I don't particularly entertain the idea of wiggers in Devourment shirts frequenting shows I go to. Not saying you're one, but it seems the type of genre that attracts that crowd.

I'll take your word. its doubtful that I'd go out of my way to see them, though.
Who have you seen live lately? Im highly anticipating the Enslaved show next month.:kickass:

Who have you seen live lately? Im highly anticipating the Enslaved show next month.:kickass:

lately I saw Angelcorpse and Extreme Noise Terror. I'm seeing Finntroll next week.

oh, how about this for overrated: The End. generic DEP-worshipping scenecore. probably Relapse's biggest seller, yet I've never actually met someone who was a fan of this band. :err:

Big WTF @ people mentioning the following bands:

Burzum
Immortal
Vio-lence
Artillery
At the Gates
Bolt Thrower
Rotting Christ
Slayer
Black Sabbath

I personally tend to find these overrated:

Pantera
Xasthur
Blut Aus Nord
Nile
Behemoth

I mean around these parts, obviously.

I find every one of these bands overrated. I mean, they probably get hundreds of lines of discussion every week all over the world. That's not overrated?

lately I saw Angelcorpse and Extreme Noise Terror. I'm seeing Finntroll next week.

oh, how about this for overrated: The End. generic DEP-worshipping scenecore. probably Relapse's biggest seller, yet I've never actually met someone who was a fan of this band. :err:
Let me know how Finntroll was. Im going to the October show.

Megadeth
Boring, repetative, and annoying vocals.

Immortal
Cute costumes, rather bland music.

High On Fire
I fucking love Sleep, but this is hardly even stoner. Sounds like just another death metal gig, albeit without cookie monster vocals.

Spiritual Beggars
The really peppy and mainstream moments kill it for me.

Killswitch Engage
Every time I hear one of their albums I end up contemplating suicide. Some of their stuff starts up well enough and heavy, but then they break into showtunes! Not only this, but they contrast each other so BADLY.

Megadeth
Boring, repetative, and annoying vocals.

Killswitch Engage
Every time I hear one of their albums I end up contemplating suicide. Some of their stuff starts up well enough and heavy, but then they break into showtunes! Not only this, but they contrast each other so BADLY.

Get out.

Over-rated: the fucking lo-fi BM trendy shit is fucking annoying me. I'm over it. A handful of Xasthur albums are okay, but seriously, I've had enough of it.

And a particular powermetal band from Australia shits me to tears - completely unoriginal songs, each filled with fucking gay "wooo-wooo" clap your hands choruses, and wanky guitar solos. Its better suited for the Blue Oyster than metal gigs, even Wolfmother is more metal!

aaanyway, I'll probably get a lot of flack for this one, but I've always felt Summoning was very overrated. I mean, I like a lot of quality black metal. In fact, it's my favorite kind of music, but I just could never get into Summoning. They're just way too cheesed-out for me. My tolerance is not quite that high.

It's kind of strange then that a person with your frame of reference would find much worth in bands like Elend, for instance. I always found them to be very cheesy and theatrical. Their music is touted as so dark and oppressive that it trumps 99% of BM which is just so overstated.
Summoning most definitely rule, however, at least until Stronghold which is still pretty good but overall, nothing new. I've lost interest in them thereafter.
I can certainly see why Summoning are a love/hate band. Their approach to songwriting is very formulaic which makes them sound very cheap to some ears and they have never really trodden new ground after Minas Morgul since all of their succeeding albums are in essence tweaked variations of MM.

I think you can say that any band touted to be THE best hands down in any genre is overrated. So.....

Black Sabbath
Metallica
Megadeth
Burzum
Darkthrone
Morbid Angel
Death
Judas Priest
Blind Guardian
Manilla Road

Additionally (bands not almost universally touted as best, but overpraised nonetheless):

Dream Theater
Opeth
Agalloch
Symphony X
Cynic
Napalm Death
Deathspell Omega
Drudkh

As you might know, I like A LOT of the bands I listed. I'm not saying these bands are bad by any means (many of them are great), just overrated.

Agalloch are an incredible band. I originally did not think that and gave them another listen and they're to good.

Immolation are overrated. Simply because they're considered by many the most consistent death metal ever.(superlatives, bleh) I only like two albums from them.
Also from all USBM that my ears were subjected to I must single out Krieg. Thank you, guys, for raping my ears with your junk.
I don't want ever to listen to them again. (no offense to cookiecutter, MalignParadigm and MasterOLightning.) This sort of BM just isn't my cup of tea.