Bands you feel are overrated

But they get mentioned together all the time. It's not like they are any closer than say Suffocation and Incantation.

This was originally based on my comment that I thought NWOSDM (or Gothenberg) as a sub-genre was overrated. I think they both fall into that camp, along with many others. I just haven't found much in the whole sub-genre that I have liked. And in contrast I just like brutal DM better in general, so that I will typically always prefer anything from Suffocation to Obituary to most any melo-death band.

K, wait, I need an answer, whats the difference between melo-death and melodic death metal?

K, wait, I need an answer, whats the difference between melo-death and melodic death metal?

Maybe nothing, and I am using them interchangeable. To me, those two terms as well as "The Gothenberg sound" and NWOSDM are almost synonymous. I don't really think this is fair, because I think there is death metal which is more melodic that does not sound like the Gothenberg scene stuff. But I think that, generally speaking, melodic death metal implies that whole sound. Maybe the term melo-death has developed more recently to help describe the NWOAHM (New Wave of American Heavy Metal: As I Lay Dying, Killswitch Engage, etc) which combines melo-death and hardcore, with clean and harsh singing to create inferior music.

This is how I understand it. There could be entirely different and more accurate definitions in existence.

Yup. Good but nothing amazing. I prefer the other Swedish bands.

I have only heard Storm of the Light's Bane, and to me it is very good. I am not sure exactly what you mean by "other Swedish bands", but I will assume you mean bands within the Gothenberg sound. I think Dissection should be taken as much more related to black metal than to that whole scene. I think Dissection is far superoir to that stuff.

I have only heard Storm of the Light's Bane, and to me it is very good. I am not sure exactly what you mean by "other Swedish bands", but I will assume you mean bands within the Gothenberg sound. I think Dissection should be taken as much more related to black metal than to that whole scene. I think Dissection is far superoir to that stuff.

I think he means the other standard Swedish black metal bands, such as Marduk and Dark Funeral. See my previous post for a rough comparison.

And get The Somberlain, it's just as good as SotLB.

I'm going to throw it out there and say Darkthrone.

Sure, they are ok. But everyone seems to love absolutely everything they put out. The only album I enjoy is Soulside Journey, which is far removed from their other works.

Other bands that are clearly overrated:
Ulver (possibly released the worst music in history - worse than Andy Sexgang even - "Blood Inside")
Meshuggah - Could these guys be anymore awful?
Grindcore - Personally, as soon as someone describes a band as grindcore, I write it off. I find it to be mindless, pointless drivel. So any grindcore band is pretty much overrated in my eyes.

Ulver (possibly released the worst music in history - worse than Andy Sexgang even - "Blood Inside")

Coming from someone with Opeth in their last.fm I'd say that is a tall order saying that :p

I'm going to throw it out there and say Darkthrone.

Sure, they are ok. But everyone seems to love absolutely everything they put out. The only album I enjoy is Soulside Journey, which is far removed from their other works.

Meshuggah - Could these guys be anymore awful?
Grindcore - Personally, as soon as someone describes a band as grindcore, I write it off. I find it to be mindless, pointless drivel. So any grindcore band is pretty much overrated in my eyes.

All of the post-Panzerfaust albums aren't really essential but there really isn't a Darkthrone album that I'd call "bad".

Ulver's first three albums are fantastic. Calling Blood Inside the "worst music in history" is a little drastic but I didn't particularly care for it (or any of their post-Nattens Madrigal albums).

I agree with your assessment of Meshuggah. I don't care how "interesting" or "awkward" the riffs are. It doesn't do anything for me.

I would suggest not writing off every grindcore band as "mindless drivel" based on the genre it happens to be in. Just look past the especially noisy bands (not that some of those bands don't kick ass) and you'll find some real quality stuff.

I have never heard of the term NWOSDM but if you mean the Gothenburg sound then I agree with Ack. That's really the only area of DM I dislike.

Yeah, it's basically synonymous with the Gothenburg style. I think it may have been coined to distinguish it from old school Swedish melodic death metal (Grave, Dismember, Entombed, Unleashed, etc). Do a search on the acronym or the spelled out version if you're curious.

Coming from someone with Opeth in their last.fm I'd say that is a tall order saying that :p

ZING! ... whateva!~!~ :lol:

on darkthrone: i didnt say they were bad. i could understand if 10% of people worshipped them, another 10% thought that for the most part they were excellent and then scattered other people really enjoyed an album or 2. but its not the case - EVERYONE seems to love them. i dont get it ...

on ulver: blood inside, from memory, sounded like electronica ripping off other globally known tunes (i seem to recall one song sounding like some darkwave tweaked christmas carol). it was AWFUL. ive sent countless emails to garm requesting that he either kill himself or pay me $200 for wasting my time listening to it ... yet to hear back, but im feeling good about it this year.

re: grindcore, i figure ive given enough bands enough chances to prove me wrong. but at the end of the day, it seems to be just bastardised german thrash cross death metal, with everything good about the two genres taken out of it.

Thats what I thought too... Infact I find it really annoying at how much shit Darkthrone get for their later releases, there's nothing wrong with them...

That's the same notion I've expressed diplomatically in my first post in this thread. But yea, fuck it!:kickass:
I think I'm gonna troll Krieg's last fm page. Fun, fun, fun.

America just wants to have everything, well, they've found something they're shitty at.

/humor