Bands you feel are overrated

I think a lot of people have lost sight during the past 20 years or so of how influential Metallica's early material was. I'm hardly the world's biggest fan, but it's hard to overstate how much different the metal world would look these days if they had never existed.

I think a lot of people have lost sight during the past 20 years or so of how influential Metallica's early material was. I'm hardly the world's biggest fan, but it's hard to overstate how much different the metal world would look these days if they had never existed.

Guitarists can't play, singer can't sing, drummer sucks, bassist is a monkey, they haven't released anything listenable in 20 years, and still they are the biggest band on the planet?

It's like you took what he said, and didnt read it.

Ride The Lightning is better than 90 percent of other metal albums.

I wish you would have just left the post at this, because this part is true.

Metallica has been releasing "popular" music for years. People who listen to metal arent supposed to like music "popular" on that scale, because that's not what metal is about. (and I dont really mean it negatively nor do I want you to tell me about some half ass "popular" band that you like)

That, and metal fans are still butthurt that metallica left them. They released their last metal album in 1988. Let go guys. Most of us werent even around and/or old enough to remember jack about their hayday.

1. Cannibal Corpse
2. Cradle of Filth
3. Pantera
4. Opeth
5. Meshuggah
6. Wolves in the Throne Room
7. Grand Belial's Key
8. Venom
9. Van Halen
10. Spiral Architect

It's like you took what he said, and didnt read it.

I wish you would have just left the post at this, because this part is true.

Metallica has been releasing "popular" music for years. People who listen to metal arent supposed to like music "popular" on that scale, because that's not what metal is about. (and I dont really mean it negatively nor do I want you to tell me about some half ass "popular" band that you like)

That, and metal fans are still butthurt that metallica left them. They released their last metal album in 1988. Let go guys. Most of us werent even around and/or old enough to remember jack about their hayday.

Um, the black album was (pop) metal, and Death Magnetic was (bland, boring) metal.

1. Cannibal Corpse
2. Cradle of Filth
3. Pantera
4. Opeth
5. Meshuggah
6. Wolves in the Throne Room
7. Grand Belial's Key
8. Venom
9. Van Halen
10. Spiral Architect

I don't think any of those bands are overrated, just generally hated. I do, however, like most of them.

Ride The Lightning is better than 90 percent of other metal albums. There would be no dark heavy melodic metal music without it. Majority of the metal bands I like would probably not even have formed, but that's just my opinion.

I think its possible to recognize the influence an album has and still claim it is overrated in itself. I think that's the case with Metallica. Obviously they had a major impact on the development of metal, but the quality of their music (even the first four albums) is vastly overrated.

People who listen to metal arent supposed to like music "popular" on that scale, because that's not what metal is about. (and I dont really mean it negatively nor do I want you to tell me about some half ass "popular" band that you like)

lol @ "not supposed to like" anything.

Black Sabbath definitely gets more praise, than they deserve, they fucking sucked back then, and suck ten times as much nowadays.

chickenshit.jpg

You have shit taste. Either kill yourself, or stop hanging out on the COB boards so often, cause that shit's obviously rotting your brain.

I am sure I'll get killed for agreeing with you, not that I give a shit, but it is true. Black Sabbath is so fucking over rated and always has been. I was thinking that today when I heard them on the radio. Ozzy's voice is a fucking joke.

YGOS?

2. Cradle of Filth
3. Pantera
4. Opeth
5. Meshuggah

I can understand how these bands could be overrated.

1. Cannibal Corpse
8. Venom
9. Van Halen
10. Spiral Architect

but not these. I hardly hear anyone ever mention Spiral Architect and Van Halen is one of the best hard rock bands to ever exist and they have been on influence on countless metal bands. Kill yourself or lurk moar.

Guitarists can't play, singer can't sing

James Hetfield can't play guitar? Do YOU play guitar? I'd really love to see you play a full setlist of Metallica songs while playing all the guitar parts and singing as well as Hetfield. Your statement has to be one of the most fucking stupid I've ever read on this board. The fact you call the bassist a monkey also suggests you're about 15 and seem to be unaware of Burton, Newsted and probably songs like "Call of Ktulu", "Blackened" and "Dyer's Eve" as well.

I'll agree with Bloodbath and Emperor, but disagree completely with Van Halen (the DLR era anyway, Hagar was just shit admittedly).

You have shit taste. Either kill yourself, or stop hanging out on the COB boards so often, cause that shit's obviously rotting your brain.

Sorry for having better taste than you :lol:

James Hetfield can't play guitar? Do YOU play guitar? I'd really love to see you play a full setlist of Metallica songs while playing all the guitar parts and singing as well as Hetfield. Your statement has to be one of the most fucking stupid I've ever read on this board. The fact you call the bassist a monkey also suggests you're about 15 and seem to be unaware of Burton, Newsted and probably songs like "Call of Ktulu", "Blackened" and "Dyer's Eve" as well.

:lol::lol::lol:

James Hetfield can't play guitar?

He can, but he sucks, especially since he has played guitar for like 40 years.

Do YOU play guitar?

Yes, I do. Metallica songs arent really that hard, trust me.

The fact you call the bassist a monkey also suggests you're about 15 and seem to be unaware of Burton, Newsted and probably songs like "Call of Ktulu", "Blackened" and "Dyer's Eve" as well.

The fact that you haven't figured out that Burton is dead, and you get incredibly mad, for someone saying your favourite band sucks hints, that you're not even 15.

Your statement has to be one of the most fucking stupid I've ever read on this board.

:lol:

Guitarists can't play, singer can't sing, drummer sucks, bassist is a monkey, they haven't released anything listenable in 20 years, and still they are the biggest band on the planet?

I didn't mean to suggest they were a great band. As I said, I'm not personally the world's biggest Metallica fan. But I do believe they have been incredibly influential in a way that has gotten lost amidst all the mediocre crap they've released in the last two decades. You talk to a lot of guys playing metal that we would consider good, ask them what got them started or what they were listening to when they were younger, and a whole lot of them are going to tell you Metallica was one of those bands. Also, how many metal fans got started listening to kvlt black metal? I think that for many of us, no matter how deeply we've delved into the metal realm, Metallica is one of the bands that opened the door in the first place. Does that mean they're the best band ever? Of course not. Are they overpraised by a lot of people? Yeah, particularly among those that haven't been exposed to a whole lot of metal. But that doesn't mean they haven't been enormously important and influential. So, while I think it's fair to call their talent overrated, it's difficult to overstate their impact on metal.

I didn't mean to suggest they were a great band. As I said, I'm not personally the world's biggest Metallica fan. But I do believe they have been incredibly influential in a way that has gotten lost amidst all the mediocre crap they've released in the last two decades. You talk to a lot of guys playing metal that we would consider good, ask them what got them started or what they were listening to when they were younger, and a whole lot of them are going to tell you Metallica was one of those bands. Also, how many metal fans got started listening to kvlt black metal? I think that for many of us, no matter how deeply we've delved into the metal realm, Metallica is one of the bands that opened the door in the first place. Does that mean they're the best band ever? Of course not. Are they overpraised by a lot of people? Yeah, particularly among those that haven't been exposed to a whole lot of metal. But that doesn't mean they haven't been enormously important and influential. So, while I think it's fair to call their talent overrated, it's difficult to overstate their impact on metal.

I never denied Metallica's influence to later metal, but they are still overrated (and suck IMO). There are of course many other bands, that have been a great influence to metal too and still are good, like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Dio and Alice Cooper.