Bands you feel are overrated

I have no complaints about Opeth other than that some parts seem to drag on for way too long and others seem too short, but that's just my personal preference. I wouldn't consider them revolutionary, just a band that has made some good metal and good acoustic music.

But as far as whatever that dude's name is' projects, I prefer Pan.Thy.Monium. I think Avant-Garde Metal is very overlooked.

Metallica(not saying I didn't enjoy their early albums. I have a Ride the lighting poster. but still )
Opeth - I know a lot of people who praise Opeth all the time and don't listen to any other prog bands! )'=
Modern Katatonia - doesn't come close to the old material IMO.
Behemoth - I love DM but really don't get this band.
Rage against the machine
Nightwish

Sorry If I pissed off a lot of people :devil:

I usually don't argue with people regarding their taste in music, as it's a highly subjective matter, but to put "Opeth" and "lazy, generic songwriting" in the same sentence is laughable.

Orchid - Morningrise era : The antithesis of lazy songwriting. Both albums were written entirely in counterpoint. That means, two or more entirely different lead guitar melodies playing simultaneously throughout the entire fucking album, in a way that combined result of this polyphony sounds better than each melody played alone. Do you realize how hard it is to write an album like Orchid or Morningrise ?

My Arms Your Hearse - Still Life era :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrBrH5PZtcc

"lazy songwriting" my ass !

Blackwater Park - Deliverance era : Progressive/psychedelic rock influences while maintaining an death metal edge, and they pulled it off masterfully. If anything, the fusing space rock with death metal is adventurous, rather than "lazy" and "generic".

Damnation : Amazing soft rock effort. "Generic" applies here, but certainly not lazy.

Ghost Reveries - Watershed : Although I like both albums, but I'd say that calling them "lazy and generic" is arguable here, but definitely does not apply to Opeth as a whole.

Regards

Aye, someone can call them overrated all they want, but when they call them lazy and generic they're just proving their inability to comprehend music.

Metallica(not saying I didn't enjoy their early albums. I have a Ride the lighting poster. but still )
Opeth - I know a lot of people who praise Opeth all the time and don't listen to any other prog bands! )'=
Rage against the machine
Nightwish

Yeah this isnt gonna piss off anyone here. That being said most "prog" metal is fucking gay and opeth is atleast listenable from time to time.

"two or more entirely different lead guitar melodies playing simultaneously throughout the entire fucking album"

Both guitar channels are not suppose to be/sound the same. That defeats the entire purpose of having two guitarists who are also different people.

Rage against the machine
Nightwish

I don't think modern Katatonia and the old material can even be compared. They are so vastly different from one another. And I think Nightwish is too easily dismissed by some.

I still consider Opeth lazy. I think their 'unusual' elements in their albums completely overshadows the serious lack of songwriting for most people. I think when you wipe away all the superficial shit (omg a death metal band with a 9 minute acoustic section, how very avant garde) the actual music is weak. Plain and boring riffs, and songs that don't even flow well...you could rearrange an Opeth songs, swap the riffs around, put in riffs from different songs, it wouldn't really affect the flow of the music. Every big Opeth fan I know in person never seems to talk about the songwriting or riffs and instead is fascinated by all the proginess and pretensious genre merging. Not to say everyone's like this, there is the odd duck that genuinely thinks they write engaging songs, but I rarely meet them, it usually comes down to "wow the lyrics are so deep" or "they're so sophisticated! Way more talented than anything else in death metal!" (also lol at people calling Opeth death metal).

Your argument just became weaker, and you've painted yourself as one with little understanding of song structure, instead honing to the path of a riff monger.

I still consider Opeth lazy. I think their 'unusual' elements in their albums completely overshadows the serious lack of songwriting for most people. I think when you wipe away all the superficial shit (omg a death metal band with a 9 minute acoustic section, how very avant garde) the actual music is weak. Plain and boring riffs, and songs that don't even flow well...you could rearrange an Opeth songs, swap the riffs around, put in riffs from different songs, it wouldn't really affect the flow of the music.

Well, it depends which album you're talking about. The first three albums do flow from moment to moment with no necessary connection between the elements. But that's part of what makes them so interesting! Its like watching the movement of emotions during a complex experience- constantly shifting and changing. Certainly, I can see why someone would not like this style of songwriting, but in itself, there is nothing wrong with style of songwriting. From Still Life onwards, there is clear song structure, similar to the compositional style of 70's prog bands like King Crimson, Jethro Tull, ELP etc. If one switched the riffs in say, "The Moor," the entire aesthetic experience would be destroyed.

I'd have to agree that Opeth can't be classified as 'lazy'.

Over rated - Arghoslent. Talented band, but not close to worthy of the high praise they get, which I assume is due to their unconventionality, because their music is nothing too special.

Your argument just became weaker, and you've painted yourself as one with little understanding of song structure, instead honing to the path of a riff monger.

Being an Opeth fan doesn't make you a master of high art. I already mentioned song structure, which I feel Opeth lack. Songcraft for me is something subtle, not throwing in a 9 minute acoustic interlude and then go round holding a big sign saying MORE THAN JUST DEATH METAL.

crimsonfloyd - duely noted. The Opeth albums I've heard are Orchid (which is just kinda meh), My Arms Your Hearse (which was probably their best flowing and most consistant), Blackwater Park (which, while it had some potential and some interesting parts (Drapery Falls) it was mostly too disjointed and full of filler) and some stuff off Deliverance and Watershed (which sucked).

I've just recently aquired the acoustic album Damnation because I really like Hope Leaves, so we'll see how this goes. If I don't like it I'm done with Opeth.

edit: being a big fan of Jethro Tull though, I fail to hear any influence in Opeth's music.

Being an Opeth fan doesn't make you a master of high art. I already mentioned song structure, which I feel Opeth lack. Songcraft for me is something subtle, not throwing in a 9 minute acoustic interlude and then go round holding a big sign saying MORE THAN JUST DEATH METAL.

crimsonfloyd - duely noted. The Opeth albums I've heard are Orchid (which is just kinda meh), My Arms Your Hearse (which was probably their best flowing and most consistant), Blackwater Park (which, while it had some potential and some interesting parts (Drapery Falls) it was mostly too disjointed and full of filler) and some stuff off Deliverance and Watershed (which sucked).

I've just recently aquired the acoustic album Damnation because I really like Hope Leaves, so we'll see how this goes. If I don't like it I'm done with Opeth.

edit: being a big fan of Jethro Tull though, I fail to hear any influence in Opeth's music.

Being an Opeth fan has nothing to do with it. You're just being painful ignorant in your assessments. Funny you mention being a master of high art though seeing as I attended college for music. -_-

Anyways, I didn't ignore your mentions of songwriting, instead I used your silly statements involving them to come to the conclusion you lack in basic structural comprehension.

I still consider Opeth lazy. I think their 'unusual' elements in their albums completely overshadows the serious lack of songwriting for most people. I think when you wipe away all the superficial shit (omg a death metal band with a 9 minute acoustic section, how very avant garde) the actual music is weak. Plain and boring riffs, and songs that don't even flow well...you could rearrange an Opeth songs, swap the riffs around, put in riffs from different songs, it wouldn't really affect the flow of the music. Every big Opeth fan I know in person never seems to talk about the songwriting or riffs and instead is fascinated by all the proginess and pretensious genre merging. Not to say everyone's like this, there is the odd duck that genuinely thinks they write engaging songs, but I rarely meet them, it usually comes down to "wow the lyrics are so deep" or "they're so sophisticated! Way more talented than anything else in death metal!" (also lol at people calling Opeth death metal).

Of all the arguments you could've made against Opeth, I think you chose the weakest possible.
I think Opeth is more structured than most metal groups, and their songs have a very clear and established flow to me. Taking chunks out and shifting them around would vastly alter each song. Even songs from the same album. If you stuck riffs from Funeral Portrait into the Drapery Falls, it would crush entire track for me. That's not to say I don't enjoy the Funeral Portrait, I do. It's a different feel entirely though.

Also, I think most people will agree with me that you can't judge a band entirely by their fanbase. That's pretty weak.

Haha, don't blame ME for the Opeth discussions! I just posted their name in an Overrated Bands thread and had their fanbase jump on me immediately.

Funny you mention being a master of high art though seeing as I attended college for music.

This means absolutely nothing. Don't think that taking lessons in music theory actually makes your opinion on anything more valid.

Also, I think most people will agree with me that you can't judge a band entirely by their fanbase. That's pretty weak.

Well I already said...

Not to say everyone's like this, there is the odd duck that genuinely thinks they write engaging songs