Bands you should like....but don't?

Primal Fear and (going back to the 80's and hair metal days) AC/DC.

I know that AC/DC and old Def Leppard sound remarkably similar, but in spite of loving Def Lep, I HATE AC/DC.

Ralf Scheepers vocals are like nails on a chalkboard for me, so Primal Fear (and early Gamma Ray) fall into the same bucket.

Do you feel the same way about Judas Priest?

You are going to really hurt my feelings if you say yes.....

Do you feel the same way about Judas Priest?

You are going to really hurt my feelings if you say yes.....

Then I guess I need to take the Fifth! :oops:

Back in the early days of the internet, I made a rookie mistake by being on a music board, and when the topic of "best vocalist" came up and many suggested Rob Halford, I actually posted some comments thinking they were making a joke!

At least now I recognize his talents, but no..... I just cannot get into Judas Priest!

Oooh I like this thread! I always feel bad when a friend is raving about a band that I just can't get into. They get the ol' "smile and nod" from me...

Circle II Circle

Are you referring to me with this one? I think I remember that moment. I was sad for about six months following that conversation. :lol:

I love power, but not Blind Guardian (though I love Demons & Wizards, and I like the track Lord Of The Rings). I dig prog metal, but not Dream Theater. There are many other examples, but those two are probably the most obvious.

For me there is one and only one - Falconer, I just can't get into them no matter how hard I try, and I have tried really hard these past few weeks. Sorry all you Falconer fans.

Oh yeah, and i can't and never will ever try and get into that Japanese whatever they call it.

Man... wouldn't it have been easier to just say "The only band I like is Wolf!"? :heh:

hahaha, that is priceless.

I think the question is kind of ambiguous, why I SHOULD like any band? Taste is a matter personal matter, just because I like power metal doesn't mean I should like all power metal bands. So here's a lists of bands many have regarded as good, great or sacred cows and I haven't/couldn't get into them:

Accept/U.D.O
Mercyful Fate/King Diamond
Nevermore
Slayer
Pagan's Mind
Vanden Plas
Tad Morose
Brainstorm
Stratovarius
Sonata Arctica
Rhapsody (Of Fire)
Agent Steel
Prototype
Artillery
The Sword
Evergrey
Sleep
Fates Warning
Symphony X
The Gathering
The Cult
Motley Crue
Queensryche
Manowar
Van Halen
Led Zeppelin
AC/DC
Pyramaze
Iced Earth (I like just two albums)
Symphorce
Sieges Even
Vision Divine
Virgin Steele
Dragonforce
New Eden
Kyuss
Orange Goblin
Twisted Sister
Dokken
KISS
Black Label Society

and all black/death/melodic death bands

quite a broad spectra isn't it? :D

i am honestly, shocked. i mean liking every album by all of these bands isn't necessary but to NOT like Queensryche Mindcrime/Warning , Motley Crue Shout At The Devil, Slayer Reign In Blood, Van Halen Fair Warning, Led Zeppelin IV, King Diamond Them, Kiss Destroyer, The Cult Sonic Temple and on and on and on.

these are some of the most ESSENTIAL bands/albums that helped lay the foundation of the hard rock/heavy metal world you exist in now.

WOLF are good, but seriously over MERCYFUL FATE one of the bands they directly rip-off in their sound? kind of blaphemous. hahaha. ;)

am i alone on this one in being so shocked?

Should Like?...no....one somebody would think I would like, yes.

Really does come down to personal taste.
Hell some bands even I wonder why I don't like them.
Some I know why I don't like them.
Rarely is the reason that they are not a good/talented band.
More often it comes down to not getting them or not digging the sound or the vocalists tone.
Sometimes it is just they sound too similar to something I already like or maybe just one odd thing stands out that makes me like one similar sounding band over another.

I know I have tried repeatedly to get into Mindflow disc I have (have not listened to the latest). Too much like modern art for me...substance but no reason. The latest Suspyre gives off that same vibe....though I really dig the sax in and the jazz vibe, but it doesn't hold together as a piece ...just moments. Still, looking to see them live to see if maybe they are one of those bands I prefer in a live setting vs studio recording. Either way, both are extremely talented.

in my shock and amazement i forgot to list who i don't like.

Redemption

most metal bands i like at least one album hence the CD collection i have amassed over the years, so it's hard for me to single out bands. but Redemption is one i have never been able to get into at all.

I love all genres of metal but here is a list of "popular" bands I just don't connect with...and I own CD's from each except PoS:

New School

Iced Earth...but I love Demons and Wizards
Nevermore
Evergrey
Pain of Salvation
Mercenary
Jag Panzer
Sepultura
Dream Theater...but I love the New Wave of DT-style bands
Type O Negative- horrible

Old School

Motorhead
Pantera
KISS

Thanks for being the categorization police, Jasonic :)

True, they both formed in 1981 making them both old school...but in my defense I don't acknowledge Jag Panzer's existence until their 1997 release, the Fourth Judgement.

Thane to the Throne is a classic to me!

I'll also throw my hat in the Iced Earth camp. I've tried several times - at different points in my music-listening career and even thought that seeing then live twice last year would change my mind, but not really. Ah well...

I've got a couple...

Symphony X - they're ok, I'm not "OMG!!!" for them
Dream Theater

Most female fronted bands of the genre- they all have the same sounding voice, nothing really seperates one from the other so I just don't listen to any of 'em... But Doro still f'n rules - she's distinctive...

There are others mentioned here... I'm a 'grab my attention quick 'cause I'm not a re-visitor'

Goatwhore. Ive tried, i really really have. i am the odd one out amongst my friends on this one too. oh well.

For me there is one and only one - Falconer, I just can't get into them no matter how hard I try, and I have tried really hard these past few weeks. Sorry all you Falconer fans.

Oh yeah, and i can't and never will ever try and get into that Japanese whatever they call it.

Are you talking about "Visual Kei"?

I know that its cheesier than a 5 pound wheel of gouda, but I like it! :)

As for bands I should like based on others:

Fates Warning is currently at the top. They just don't click. This is probably the third time I've tried in my life.
Pain of Salvation.
Deicide
Into Eternity
Meshuggah
Dragonforce
Darkane
TYR (with a few song exceptions)
Nevermore (I like a lot of the riffs (my acid words for example) But I DESPISE the vocals)

There are others, but those are a few off the top of my head.

Last edited by a moderator:
The weight lifting part made me laugh. However, what I want to know is, why do they have the singer curling a 12.5 pound dumbbell, which is lighter than what most women curl, yet show the bass player curling 215 pounds on a barbell? I've never even seen any of the 'roid freaks at the gym curl that kind of weight. I think the bass player's Dad shot the video. :lol:

Zod