bands you think suck

Dead_Lioness said:
:)

I forgot a lot of bands...
among the bands I forgot is definitely Sabath, and also... Halloween..
I'll give the power metal dragon humpers on this board that.
Halloween and Blind Gaurdian are definitely great, and I do respect them.
but seriously..........
why on earth Hammerfall are legends?
what did they do, that contributed so much for the development of the scene?
To me Hammerfall are contemporary artists and nothing more.

but like I said.... its a personal view.

and James........ you're far far from winning anything my darling :wave: :p
(god i can't believe he has that Avantasia album!!!!!)

Sure, it's a personal view to some extent, but there are bands that cannot be denied...Sabbath being number one. Did you see this guy saying that Stratovarius are legends over Sabbath...that's insane. Modern metal composers don't own a Sabbath CD?...that's just nuts...who the fuck owns a Stratovarius CD?

schenkadere said:
Wow...either you're just being obtuse for the sake of being right, or you're really just that naive. How old are you, 10?

That's a moronic statement.

...You dont listen to a lot of power metal do you? You really have to be a fan of the genre as a whole to understand the impact these bands have had on literally HUNDEREDS of bands in the past decade or so. I know dozens of people who own Straovarius CDs, and many who own them all. Same with Edguy and Hammerfall. If you look at most modern power metal bands that have formed in...lets say the last 5-7 years, I can say with almost utmost certainty that they will whole heartedly say they were influenced by one or more of those bands.

schenkadere said:
Modern metal composers don't own a Sabbath CD?...that's just nuts...who the fuck owns a Stratovarius CD?
I write music. I own a Stratovarius cd. I don't own a Sabbath cd.

schenkadere said:
Sure, it's a personal view to some extent, but there are bands that cannot be denied...Sabbath being number one. Did you see this guy saying that Stratovarius are legends over Sabbath...that's insane. Modern metal composers don't own a Sabbath CD?...that's just nuts...who the fuck owns a Stratovarius CD?

haha, I totally agree with you, my friend.

Its sad, because its like people who think they can draw nicely
and become an "Artist"
Just because you can "make" art, doesn't mean you understand it.
because you don't understand it, it'll always be less than what you could have done with stuying the history and the artist prior to you.
its a fact.
To become a great author its not enough to just sit and make up a story.
The more you read, the better you'll be.
the more you open your mind to all the influences that are around you,
the more creative you'll be.THATS A FACT.

same with music... you may think I diss Edguy and Hammerfall and all those based on the fact that I never heard them... but believe it or not, I own
some of those CDs myself.
I have heard it, I bet if James will play Theater Of Salvation for me
i'd sing all the songs with him...
I have tried listening to those bands, hell, I even reviewed them back when I worked for Metal Hammer,
and I personally, just don't like them... (hey Karmic: "LET THE HAMMER FALL!" - I have that CD as well)
But still, how can you not at least try to listen to Sabath or some other legends... the legeds that
influenced the bands that you like today..... thats beyond me.
but then again.... Im not here to preach you.

:wave:

En Vind Av Sorg said:
...You dont listen to a lot of power metal do you? You really have to be a fan of the genre as a whole to understand the impact these bands have had on literally HUNDEREDS of bands in the past decade or so. I know dozens of people who own Straovarius CDs, and many who own them all. Same with Edguy and Hammerfall. If you look at most modern power metal bands that have formed in...lets say the last 5-7 years, I can say with almost utmost certainty that they will whole heartedly say they were influenced by one or more of those bands.

You're being short sighted...Sabbath had the biggest influence of all...they created the heavy metal genre. You're looking at a very small part of a bigger picture.

You like what you like...I understand that, but don't deny the trailblazers.

metalskater7 said:
I write music. I own a Stratovarius cd. I don't own a Sabbath cd.

You write music...well that's dandy...don't we all. Do you have any samples of your power metal epic compositions? I'd love to hear the Stratovarius influences and possibly learn something.

Sabbath's music has been influencing millions of metal heads for 36 fucking years and will continue...lets see if any of these bands you speak of have that kind of longevity.

Nobody is really denying that Sabbath etc did not create/heavily influence the genre, only that they do not personally enjoy them.

Also, I believe James is only pointing out that within his favourite genre, there are bands that are just as influential as Sabbath are to their own particular genre. If you get me.

My two cents: Sabbath, Kiss, Zeppelin, AC/DC...RAWK!!! :kickass:

Final_Product said:
Nobody is really denying that Sabbath etc did not create/heavily influence the genre, only that they do not personally enjoy them.

Also, I believe James is only pointing out that within his favourite genre, there are bands that are just as influential as Sabbath are to their own particular genre. If you get me.

My two cents: Sabbath, Kiss, Zeppelin, AC/DC...RAWK!!! :kickass:

Understood, but he seems to be ignoring the fact that without Sabbath, his chosen genre would not exist in the same manner that it does. I'm trying to say that you don't need to personally enjoy a group or artist to recognize their contribution. Sabbath is globally a much greater influence...it doesn't even compare. Shit, I can't stand listening to Elvis or Chuck Berry, but without them, this silly thread may not even exist.

schenkadere said:
You're being short sighted...Sabbath had the biggest influence of all...they created the heavy metal genre. You're looking at a very small part of a bigger picture.

You like what you like...I understand that, but don't deny the trailblazers.

Yea man, Im not debating the importance of Sabbath over Hammerfall, or any of the others. I like sabbath myself and would definetly attribute a higher degree of importance towards metal to them overall. I was simply speaking about power metal as a genre.

dreaming neon darkspot said:
in the ultimate suckdom battle of Nickleback vs. Linkin Park, it's definately Nickleback for the win ... or lose.

I dissagree, Godsmack sucks far more than both of those bands. Godsmack FTL.

En Vind Av Sorg said:
Yea man, Im not debating the importance of Sabbath over Hammerfall, or any of the others. I like sabbath myself and would definetly attribute a higher degree of importance towards metal to them overall. I was simply speaking about power metal as a genre.

Nuff said then...it's all good...carry on!

power metal doesnt suck, final product. you suck! (that was a good one)

no seriously, check out some cool bands like FIREWIND. I dont even know if theyre a power metal band in the true sense....subject matter isnt really typical PM themes.....the music is awesome though. call it mdoern heavy metal with great vocals! try and listen to the song "kill to live." that is a cool song. also "tyranny" and "the forgotten memory" are good too!

I like Dragon Force. I mean, no matter how down you are their music will always bring a smile to your face. On the other hand, sometimes the 5 minutes leads get to me. But I still enjoy them...

actually Sabbat-the thrash metal band owns.I forgot,most of the melodic swedish death metal bands suck.repetitive and boring.

blind_cynic said:
actually Sabbat-the thrash metal band owns.I forgot,most of the melodic swedish death metal bands suck.repetitive and boring.

Which Swedish bands in particular do you feel suck? I like a lot of In Flames stuff, but I agree with the repetitive aspect.

Devy_Metal said:
and necrophagist...well, they might be somewhat similiar to old in flames but that is a stretch as well.

:OMG: :lol:

In Flames defines gayness along with post-RIP Megadeth and post-KEA Metallica. Necrophagist redefines technical extreme metal, and as far as I'm concerned they're taking over where Chuck left off - and awesomely so. They rule, period. I'm guessing that Soundtrack To Your Escape made your last few braincells arrange their own jail-break...

well,At The Gates altough I can have a little respect for them since they are the original band of the genre.In Flames,Dark Tranquility,late Soilwork.pretty much almost everything with growling/melodic vocals and keyboards.still I like Arch Enemy,early Soilwork.

edit:I find american death metal much more interesting,techincal,with a lot of imagination and inspiration.

NeverMarty said:
:OMG: :lol:

In Flames defines gayness along with post-RIP Megadeth and post-KEA Metallica. Necrophagist redefines technical extreme metal, and as far as I'm concerned they're taking over where Chuck left off - and awesomely so. They rule, period. I'm guessing that Soundtrack To Your Escape made your last few braincells arrange their own jail-break...

listen to me you fucking moron, go back and read that whole conversation. out of all those bands he named (i cant even remember a single one of them...king diamond, queensryche, maybe) IN FLAMES were the CLOSEST band to necrophagist even though they sound NOTHING alike. they both play some type of death metal and theyre both melodic. thats where the comparisons begin and end.

EDIT - i didnt even bother reading past the first sentence until i made this post. for the record i HATE anything past Clayman and even THAT isnt that good of an album.

fuck you and die.