Bands you want to play a "classic material only" set

DMR

Not For Wimps
Jun 29, 2006
North From Here
www.facebook.com
...A.K.A. the "Play Old Shit" thread. I mentioned elsewhere that a lot of bands I like changed their style and never play the old stuff anymore. So let's talk about who you'd want to see do a special set of only early stuff.

Amorphis - I got the idea for this thread because they actually did this. They played songs from the first three albums. It was only a few shows in Finland, so I never got to see it.

Elvenking - The first two albums are great power metal with a folk influence. Then they abruptly became an emo/metalcore band.

Falconer - These guys didn't change their style, but the debut is one of my all-time favorites and the rest aren't that special. This would be even cooler if they played a few Mithotyn songs too.

Blind Guardian - I really like almost everything they've done (except the last two), but I think it would be pretty cool to see them play a set focusing on the first three or four albums.

Therion - They're probably the least likely band to do this, but when it comes to death metal, there's almost nothing better than early Therion.

Scorpions - I love all their stuff, but they rarely play anything prior to Animal Magnitism

Edguy - If ever there was a band that needed to change their setlists, it's Edguy.

What?? There are many bands who have consistently put out solid material where I enjoy hearing the new stuff live just as much as the old.

Sorry, my bad.
ALMOST every band ever.

I am curious to know what band has been around long enough to have a 'classic period' whose new material lives up to the old! I can only think of a handful.

Edit: and that's not to say that new stuff is BAD....just generally not as good. And given the choice between a 'great-great-great' setlist and a 'great-great-good' setlist, I'll go with the first every time.

The only new-ish Helloween albums I've heard are Keeper III and Gambling. Keeper III is a total snoozefest. Gambling is a great record.
Haven't heard anything new from Tygers.
You're right about Riot.
Never heard Praying Mantis and I hadn't heard Demon until earlier this week after reading Gezol/Sabbat sing their praises. Good band. Haven't heard the new material, or much of the old.

When I started this thread, I had in mind bands that for the most part ignore their earliest material (which is usually their best.) Bands that make you want to yell at them "Play old shit!" I wasn't really thinking of bands who have gone downhill but keep lots of old favorites in their set.

Helloween, Tygers of Pan Tang,Riot, Praying Mantis and Demon are 4 bands whose new stuff is just as good as the classic stuff.

See, I wouldn't like this. I love the keepers era with kiske, but there is more variety and material in the Deris era. Plus, when I saw them on Hellish Rock, a high percentage of that setlist was from the first two Keeper albums anyways, so I don't know if it would be much different, unless you're trying to get some Walls of Jericho stuff in there.

The only new-ish Helloween albums I've heard are Keeper III and Gambling. Keeper III is a total snoozefest. Gambling is a great record.

I'm one of the few that likes Keepers III. Could it have been trimmed? Sure, but I still dig the majority of the songs on it. Honestly though, with the exception of "Rabbit Don't Come Easy" there's not a bad Deris Helloween album to be found.

I love Rabbit.
The only two Helloween full lengths that are clunkers for me are Chameleon and Keepers III.
Yeah, it could be due to the unnecessary length of Keepers III.
It could have been an acceptable single disc full length.
It was a terrible marketing ploy to name the album as such.
It did not live up to the hype.

Actually, as a marketing/publicity stunt, I think it worked. When it came out, it got mostly good reviews. I didn't hear too many people besides myself complaining about it. I'm glad people have finally wised up about it.

I'm convinced they made that album so bad on purpose. I think they saved all the good songs they wrote during that time for Gambling. Maybe they just wanted to see if people would like it because of the name. Maybe they were tired of everyone asking them when they'd make Keeper Part III. "Oh, you want another Keeper album, huh? Here you go."

Sorry, my bad.
ALMOST every band ever.

I am curious to know what band has been around long enough to have a 'classic period' whose new material lives up to the old! I can only think of a handful.

Edit: and that's not to say that new stuff is BAD....just generally not as good. And given the choice between a 'great-great-great' setlist and a 'great-great-good' setlist, I'll go with the first every time.

SAXON. Their last several albums have been among the best of their 30+ year career.

Pretty Maids too, but they might wear funny hats.:devil: