Bands you would be surpise that Symphony X likes.

I think the problem with Dragonforce is that they are closest thing to mainstream prog/power metal that there is. So picture this

My Friend: "Whatcha' listening to?"
Me: "Oh nothing, just this 24 minute song (Octavaruim)"
My Friend: "Oh so like that Dragonforce stuff right?"
Me: *slaps friend*
My Friend: "What the hell did you just do?!"
Me: "Listen to me I listen to PROGRESSIVE METAL not POWER METAL, if you want to ever talk to me again, find five Dragonforce fans and burn them, then recover there bones, and use them to batter all of the other fans"
Just an average day in the life of an evangelical progger.

The problems with dragonfarse are, they are power metal -1, Helloween should have been the first and last power metal band, one like that is more than enough. Followed by the biggest problem that dragonfarse speeds up their instrument tracks and it sounds like Alvin and the Chipmunks, simply put they are posers... the milli vanilli of "metal". When hearing and recognising that after the first two minutes of the first song wasnt bad enough you soon realise that every song is one of three songs they know... that were already written two decades earlier... most likely by Helloween....

Then of course there is this epic fail from a inside sleeve... that symbolizes their chipmunkishness
dragonforce1.jpg

The most power metal I will ever listen to is the early Helloween, and mabye Jorn Lande, but that would be as far as I go.

Yes Kamelot gets a free pass because they did it so well, still those same ol same old steady bass drum 16ths or whatever they are grow old and its time to turn the Kamelot off. They stray from that just enough to make one pause on the "stop" button.

I didn't count Kamelot because it seems that they are becoming more progressive metal than power metal, but yes, they are one of the great "power" metal bands

I didn't count Kamelot because it seems that they are becoming more progressive metal than power metal, but yes, they are one of the great "power" metal bands

Kamelot is getting less progressive with every album.

The only modern power metal band whose releases I still look forward to is Helloween. Gambling With the Devil had some great ideas (not perfect though), and I'd recommend it to anyone who hates power metal. After hearing the new Freedom Call and Masterplan...eugh, I'm becoming convinced it's a spent force. It seems like the ability to create melodies has been totally dominated by the Iron Maiden school of "how many high-flying mediocre choruses can I fit into one song?"