Bass Programming

davidthangjam10

New Metal Member
May 4, 2013
India
facebook.com
I'm looking for some bass program, will you please suggest a good sounding bass programming software p.s please don't suggest trillian..hahaha. the size is super fucking big and it cost a lot i can't afford it!

Get a real bass. I programmed bass for a while when I had to sell mine. A shit bass is still 10 times better.

That being said, if you have Kontakt, get Zombass. It's the best out of the box one imo. The guys at Signals Audio made it

Actually Zombass 2 have one library for free, if you have Kontakt to load it. I use it, and while it doesn't sound realistic it works pretty well in mixes.

Get a real bass. I programmed bass for a while when I had to sell mine. A shit bass is still 10 times better.

That's only true as long as you track and edit a tight basstrack, which is fine if you have the time. But if you're writing your own stuff, in my opinion nothing stops the creative process more than hours of tracking bass..

That's only true as long as you track and edit a tight basstrack, which is fine if you have the time. But if you're writing your own stuff, in my opinion nothing stops the creative process more than hours of tracking bass..

With all due respect, if it takes you hours to track bass for a project you are working on, then you are doing it wrong or you can't play bass to save your life. It takes all of 15 minutes to track a scratch track of bass and edit it for your own work. Much quicker and better sounding than any bass VST. Nothing stops the creative process more than looking at a piano roll trying to figure out timing. If anything, you will end up writing a better bass line because you are actually playing the bass as opposed to how to follow the guitars.

I think no one can deny that a Bass VST is useful sometimes.

I use Zombass. It's pretty good actually, if you consider price/value.

For the start I just copy the Bassdrum and adjust notes/lengths/velocitys and have a basssound which is filling the lowend and gives me a nice idea of the song/sound.
And thats within a couple of minutes with the exact same sound every time(if desired).

With all due respect, if it takes you hours to track bass for a project you are working on, then you are doing it wrong or you can't play bass to save your life. It takes all of 15 minutes to track a scratch track of bass and edit it for your own work. Much quicker and better sounding than any bass VST. Nothing stops the creative process more than looking at a piano roll trying to figure out timing. If anything, you will end up writing a better bass line because you are actually playing the bass as opposed to how to follow the guitars.

If you're that fast, respect! I can track bass fairly tight, but it will take me over an hour to edit it perfectly... I'm pretty fast with the piano roll though :D

^ well same as above.
But there is one drawback for programming...sweat ass glides!!! I just hate sample pitching sound. And that's what I love in real bass.

^ well same as above.
But there is one drawback for programming...sweat ass glides!!! I just hate sample pitching sound. And that's what I love in real bass.

i have zombass 3, never used any of the other ones, but they tracked 3 fret slides up/down for every note. if you get good at it you can make it sound pretty buttery.

i would also disagree that a shit bass sounds better than programmed 100% of the time... i've heard some pretty shit DI's, active bass with an old battery/old strings/all the knobs cranked is really sad. also, the fakeness is masked pretty convincingly in a full mix context, long as it doesn't ever need to be revealed by itself.

To me bassguitar is just as important as guitars in a mix and i don´t program guitars for a reason. Both programmed guitar and bass work great when i want to write music late at night when my gf is sleeping but for a final mix i would never use it. I dont say that it doesnt work but for me it just doesnt.

To me bassguitar is just as important as guitars in a mix and i don´t program guitars for a reason. Both programmed guitar and bass work great when i want to write music late at night when my gf is sleeping but for a final mix i would never use it. I dont say that it doesnt work but for me it just doesnt.

I think you can't compare these 2.. A programmed guitar is way more obvious

I'm thinking about making my own bass vst.
I did this with a squire p-bass with 2 year old strings just to see if I could do it.
Sounds alright. If I actually put more effort into it and used a dope bass I think it could sound pretty realistic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only messed with the free Zombass and Texas grind.
Texas Grind is from C1 to C2 and anything lower and higher is pitch shifted. With a round robin of 4 so it machine guns after every 4 notes. Alternating 2 up pick and 2 down picks, with 2 velocity layers.
The free Zombass is from A0-A3, anything lower and anything higher is pitch shifted. With a round robin of 10 so it machine guns after every 10 notes. Alternating 5 down picks 5 up picks, with 4 velocity layers.

I'm thinking of making a bass sampling from F (for the low Djenty-ass shit) to the 24th fret of the highest string. So no pitch shifting. With a round robin of 16, alternating 8 down picks and 8 up picks, with 2 velocity layers
I think that big of a round robin will really help the fakeness of it. Also with some key switches for some hand sliding string noise. That with the combination of the articulation and humanization kontakt script I use from drum samples, I think that could make it all cool and shit. The only bad thing about that (to me) is that it'll probably be like 3 gigs total. I don't know, I'm just REALLY anal about hard drive space.

So I started making one with a Ibanez SR305.
If it turns out well I'm gonna do another one with an Ibanez BTB675. Trying to get a hold of Warwick to get some .175 strings for dat F

j9lkp5.jpg

Holy shit I wish this picture was a little smaller haha