Bass Programming

With the key switching in Kontakt it'll be 8 down picks in down pick mode, 8 in up picks mode, 4 down and 4 up in alternate mode, and 8 hammer/pulloff/tap in hammer/pulloff/tap mode
Imma mess around with it once it's all recorded to see what sounds best.

Fingers dead.
304 down picks, 304 up picks, 304 hammer-on, A0-G3, up slides, down slides, string/hand noise, dead notes.

igyjvp.jpg

FrankTheSmith keep us posted with the progress . I wouldn't mind putting a few bucks on you paypal account for your effort. A natural sounding vst bass is exactly what i need this days. The first example you posted sounded very natural at fast speeds and that wasn't the case with some comercial stuff i played with.

So I finished it. 8 down picks, 8 up picks, 16 alternating, 4 dead notes each string, 4 string noises each string, 8 tapping/hammer every fret, 4 slide down fast and slow every fret, 4 slide up fast and slow every fret.
.... Didn't like the up and down picks so I'm re doing them. I was picking way too hard, everything else is fine but that. All the key switching and all that fancy jazz works like a charm. Should be done by tomorrow.
It's about 2.33 gigs total, but with the direct from disk function in kontakt it only needs to load 80mb at a time for it to run so it's not using much cpu.

Nothing but real bass souns real for fact, but sometimes sampled bass is better. I've recorded a guy with a bass for $650, Something from Cort, don't remember which exactly. And it sounded really bad even with a new strings.
I haven't used Zombas, but it's pretty nice.
Also ive found this one as the nice variant: Orange Tree Samples - Cherry Electric Bass

This sounds good but most stuff sounds good in slow songs. Can you make a test for faster extreme metal? I expect it would still sound good based on the first video so I guess the most important aspect is still the humanisation setting in Kontakt. Can you share more about that?

This sounds good but most stuff sounds good in slow songs. Can you make a test for faster extreme metal? I expect it would still sound good based on the first video so I guess the most important aspect is still the humanisation setting in Kontakt. Can you share more about that?

Rendering a 4 minute video that shows from 120-220bpm 16th notes. And it shows what the humanization script does. I threw in some 400-800bpm 16th notes for the lulz.

I should have put in the string sliding noise to make it a little more real sounding. 0:00-1:40 is the tempos. 1:40-2:40 shows the humanizing thing. 2:40-3:00 Sick brutal tempos!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Those faster tempos are clipping quite a bit, no?

Why is the audio crackling up at times throughout the video? YT conversion thing? Excellent job on the humanization script, btw :)

The screen recorder I use makes my cpu jump up to like 1000000000000 so there's a few crackles and skips here and there.
The actual kontakt instrument is just DI, but for that video I put on CLA bass with everything flat and I think the chorus/speader was off.
I'm still messing with the each sample start time, cause most have a nice pick attack, but a few notes I cut too close to the transient.

LOL, quite a speed overkill, thanks
I did buy a real bass because of the inability of the vsti's at the time, but I can see a use for your instrument as the sheer number of round robin samples make it very capable. Good work!

Here's little ditty of the 4th version and final version.
Just wanted to get the alternate picking to sound good before I moved on to the easier string noise, dead notes, and sliding. Should be 100% done by next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got it chopped up for easy 1 click exporting for DI and presets.
It's finally done and everything sounds good.
Literally all I need is a good name and some fancy artwork for it.
I think I've become a master object mover arounder organizer guy.

156aiac.jpg