Beer

Yoda: Yeah you need to let it bottle condition for at least two weeks. Even then carbonation is still hit and miss. It pisses me off. it's the one thing that makes me want to go to kegging. What'd you make?

Andy: I'm quite jealous. I need to get me some of that

finally made my haul today. it turns out i missed out on Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Stout as it sold out in less than a day but i still picked up some great high abv% beers. will be tasting all of these for the first time

Pannepot 2010
Gudeløs Imperial Stout
Lost Abbey Deliverance
Lost Abbey Serpent's Stout
Hoppin Frog Doris (a more intense Boris)
Port Brewing Mongo
Port Brewing Wipeout IPA
Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout

Yoda: Yeah you need to let it bottle condition for at least two weeks. Even then carbonation is still hit and miss. It pisses me off. it's the one thing that makes me want to go to kegging. What'd you make?

I just got one of those Coopers DIY home brew kits. I made the lager. I don't think I'm ready to actually make my own wort and use my own hops, so I'm going to purchase their stout kit and try it again.

Stuff I got tonight, never had any of it before.

Bombers of

Deschutes - Mirror Pond Pale Ale
Deschutes - Black Butte Porter
Deschutes - Hop Henge Experimental IPA
Deschutes - The Stoic

Sixers of

Lagunitas - Maximus IPA
Lagunitas - A Little Sumpin' Wild Ale

Currently drinking the Deschutes Porter. It's definitely not one of my favorite styles, but this is quite good. It was only $2.99 for the bomber, so definitely worth it. I fucked up on The Stoic though. I am not a fan of Quadrupel's & Tripel's. I thought I would try one again & The Stoic was $12.99. Stupid ass purchase. I'm sure fan's of the style would love it. Just not my thing.

finally made my haul today. it turns out i missed out on Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Stout as it sold out in less than a day but i still picked up some great high abv% beers. will be tasting all of these for the first time

Pannepot 2010
Gudeløs Imperial Stout
Lost Abbey Deliverance
Lost Abbey Serpent's Stout
Hoppin Frog Doris (a more intense Boris)
Port Brewing Mongo
Port Brewing Wipeout IPA
Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout

Now that is a nice haul. Pannepot is by far one of my favorite beers. Lost Abbey is decent but don't expect anything mindblowing...their carbonation issues are notorious. Score on the Hoppin Frog and Port is just outstanding.

It's so weird that Port and Lost Abbey are technically the same brewery, but Port's consistency far surpasses Lost Abbey's

I just got one of those Coopers DIY home brew kits. I made the lager. I don't think I'm ready to actually make my own wort and use my own hops, so I'm going to purchase their stout kit and try it again.

Right on. Lagers are actually extremely hard to make because they require yeast that ferments at a cold temperature. I'm on my fifth batch of homebrew and have finally made something I will gladly drink. Extract kits are pretty easy if you can follow a simple recipe.

Just picked up this gem. My guy at the liquor store said they only get shipments of it in once or twice a year. Hope it's good!

img0204hg.jpg

Sounds awesome. Nectar of the Gods.

Right on. Lagers are actually extremely hard to make because they require yeast that ferments at a cold temperature. I'm on my fifth batch of homebrew and have finally made something I will gladly drink. Extract kits are pretty easy if you can follow a simple recipe.

The directions only called for it to ferment at room temperature. Anywhere between 20 and 28 degrees Celsius.

Drinking White Birch Wrīgian Ale... here's my review copied over from Facebook:

425337_10150497387081887_699811886_8874983_638160301_n.jpg

This was a somewhat blind buy for me; White Birch are 2 for 2 with me due to their last beers I've tried being pretty unique and incredible. On the offset, this seems no different. Though low alcohol compared to other WBs, it's a strange-seeming beer with a bizarre flavor character. The pour has a strong and tenacious white-ish head that keeps up a finger or two throughout drinking. Body is cloudy with a nice orange-red color. Lacing seems very clean and solid; nothing special but it's strong regardless. When I uncapped it, I immediately got some grassy, rustic notes in the nose, followed by a deep caramel maltiness and some sour rye characteristics which seemed to blend together well and create a kind of "old ale" feel. Taste is big malts up front that mingle with very lightly peppery/earthy hops, bringing out a lot of notes ranging from rural grains to lemon zest and some orange peel. Darker fruits open up as it warms and the light alcohol (6.3%; weird here because BA says this is a 10% Belgian Strong Pale; it really isn't... I'm wondering if they've just majorly screwed with the recipe or something?) comes out to play a bit, warming as the beer drinks and playing well with the bubbly, spirited carbonation. Belgian yeast character is a bit subdued here, and the finish seems to wrap up quickly with very little lingering flavor other than a strict, powerful dryness that draws you in for another sip each time. Body is somewhat thin and seems to rely heavily on the peppery/spicy rye to mingle with the sweet citrus going on, but it only sometimes works properly. Opinions on this beer are _wildly_ inconsistent among BAers and RateBeer users alike, but I'll just go ahead and call it decent but not outstanding. It seems that its main lack is consistency, especially given that from pictures/reviews I'm seeing around, they change the recipe and overall style of this all the time. That just seems weird as shit, and not really in a good way. Makes it difficult to be objective about it. Regardless of that weird note, this is a perplexing and complex beer that defies categorization in simplistic terms; it's like a slightly-sour pale ale with saison qualities and maybe some dubbel-esque fruit tones. I therefore almost want to call it a mess, but WB is just so likeable that I have difficulty doubting them here. Bizarre.

Yeah I would stick with ales...unless if you have an extra fridge to put your fermenter in

I've seen DIY "lager" kits that included a dry, neutral ale yeast...which is the only reason I figure they'd say to ferment a lager at room temp.
I've been homebrewing for years and I don't do lagers. I don't have the temp control, and lagers are prone to sulphur-y off flavors if not fermented correctly. It's not high on my priority list either because outside of bocks and a couple other styles, I generally prefer ales.

requesting your thoughts on this. see it sometimes and have only had their milk stout.

the Espresso Stout had a strong bitter roasted coffee taste and had a light mouthfeel for the style. for the price you can get better examples of the style. if it's on tap i'd give it a try but it's not worth $5 for a 11.2oz bottle.