Beer

Jenn, glad you checked out Peak. I'm not a big Hop Noir fan, but Blanc and, obviously, the HH Oktoberfest are really good beers.

That's because dry-hopping is probably THE most important step of hop utilization in terms of getting aroma and flavor from the hops into your beer. Almost every single IPA you have these days is dry-hopped whether they make a big deal about it on the label or not.

Alright, I'll double-post but only cuz I love this thread...

I made several discoveries today while out and about. I wasn't out doing anything in particular, though, and that's weirdly important here as it highlights several awesome discoveries I made while kicking around the area. The owner of the house I currently live in is trying to sell the house (don't worry, I've got a backup plan) and I needed to be out for a while as some people were coming to scope out the joint.

So, I did what I usually do... check places for new beer! Since I'm near Ayotte's in Hudson, NH, I thought "why not?" Well, today I discovered a new brewery that does $9 six packs of motherfucking cans! Enter Great North Aleworks, a brewery located in Manchester, NH that I definitely need to keep an eye on, as this is a rauchbier available year-round! Granted, it does use American ale yeast (California, actually, which is one of my favorite strains in homebrewing!), not lager yeast... but the flavor is pure Bamberg. Nice solid beechwood smoke and mild grassy/herbal hop notes with a beautiful deep orange/rusty copper color to top it all off. This is SO GOOD! They also have a West Coast style IPA and a Robust Vanilla Porter in canned sixers for the same damn price, and the design is on-fucking-point. I'm so down for this! What a deal. Check it:

h2bVvsN.jpg

On the way back to my place, I was kind of stuck behind a few school buses and was irritated by how long it was taking. To my left I noticed a thrift store that advertised "CDs" so I, taking my restlessness into account, banged a hard left and parked. Dude's CD game was pure shit but wandering over to the tape section, I caught sight of Atrocity's Hallucinations... "no way," I thought. Digging behind a few shelves and getting mildly intimate with the stacks of tapes (I probably looked nuts to the 3-4 people in there at any one time), I managed to procure a satisfactory haul. Don't believe me? See for yourselves...

35R39fh.jpg

If you didn't see this already on Facebook... I got all these for five bucks. 5 DOLLAH. TOTAL. WHAT NOW.

All in all it wasn't a bad day.

Picked up an Allagash Farm to Face and Modern Times Lost Horizon today. Farm to Face is fucking delicious. It's not as peachy as I thought it would be, but it's still pretty damn peachy and sour. I love it. The price tag was pretty steep ($20 for a 500ml), but totally worth it. I picked up a second

Lost Horizon is another homerun by Modern Times. Anytime they make a hoppy beer, they knock it out of the park. This is their first double IPA, and the aroma is exactly like opening a bag of Chinook hop pellets. Light malt backbone makes this crushable. Fucking amazing

Earlier this week I had Logsdon's newest beer, Szech n' Brett, a Brett based saison brewed with Szechuan peppercorns. It was perfect. Logsdon makes some of my favorite saisons, and this was a new jewel in the crown. The pepper was subtle and perfectly complemented the dry, funky character of the beer. I really wish I had picked up a second bottle of this. Delicious

That's because dry-hopping is probably THE most important step of hop utilization in terms of getting aroma and flavor from the hops into your beer. Almost every single IPA you have these days is dry-hopped whether they make a big deal about it on the label or not.

Well then I'm at a loss as to why a lot of non-"dryhop!" IPAs suck in relation (in my personal estimation).

IPA flavors vary significantly depending on which type and quantity of hops and malts were used. The type of yeast used also plays a big part in the final product.

What was an IPA that stood out to you?

I haven't had this years yet, but I'm curious how the addition of lactose helps. I wasn't particularly impressed with last years

Also, ditto what Omni said. The kinds of ingredients and ingredient schedule matters a lot. For instance, even though I'm a huge fan of Amarillo, Mosaic, and Citra hops ("fruity" hops), if the malt backbone is really prominent, I'm not as big of a fan. I like a clean, crisp malt profile...not too big. This is typical of a "west" coast IPA...low malt and big hops. Yeast can affect it too. For instance, Brettanomyces can really bring out the punch in fruity hops

We have a tiny brewery in New Smyrna Beach that is finally putting out some impressive shit. I usually avoid Oktoberfest brews, but their new Beachtoberfest was actually really balanced and spicy. They also now have Bait Pod, which is an 8.5% black IPA. Smokey and hoppy. They have their first imperial IPA in the fermenter which should be out next week. Can't wait. They also have a white IPA that I need to try.

I haven't had this years yet, but I'm curious how the addition of lactose helps. I wasn't particularly impressed with last years

This is my first time buying Merkin. But im guessing it's supposed to make it more thicker.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/communi...ed-oatmeal-stout-returns-with-a-twist.334842/

... "fill out the mouthfeel" "fatten the palate" etc.

Just found out that Trader Joe's sells singles of everything they stock, so i said fuck it and picked up a few pumpkin beers.

CIMG3926_zps5uajhd8v.jpg

CIMG3927_zpsezmnyhif.jpg

3/5 for the Pumpkick and 2/5 for the Fall Hornin'.

yeah, pumpkin beers suck.

Pumpkin beers can be hit-or-miss but I generally enjoy them to be honest.

Just sipping on a beer by a new brewery from pretty much right down the road. Merrimack Ales Alt Hypothesis.

beer_354576.jpg

This is really good, actually. It's an ale that is stored cold/"lagered" for a decent amount of time after primary fermentation in order to bring out a more mellow malt flavor. Deep brown in color, very malty (brown bread is probably the biggest flavor I'm picking up, though there's some floral and caramel/nutty notes too). It has a nice, creamy texture and great body. Smooth going down and very drinkable. Fantastic head retention and huge swaths of lace as it drinks. It was a bit of a gusher when I popped the cap, not gonna lie. I'll be keeping an eye out for Merrimack, though... they seem worth it!

So one of my buddies recently has been bombarding me with all kinds of HOPS = ESTROGEN, MAN BOOBS, etc articles from all over the web. Someone please point me toward some articles that say this shit isn't true.

edit: I've been looking for that Peak Okotberfest everywhere ... but to no avail :(

Peak doesn't get distributed out here afaik

And yeah I've seen that shit about hops = man boobs. Whatever. Stout season is coming on. Time to up the pushups and bench presses