Being a music fan.

Sadguru

In my dream...
Jan 11, 2004
Canada, Québec
Lately I was thinking about what it means to be a fan, to be really dedicated and passionate about a music or a given band. Few days ago, I talked to a self-proclamed "massive music fan". He mentionned Led Zeppelin, Guns N' Roses, REM and such but doesn't have any of their albums. On the other hand, he has a huge mp3 library which he plays on shuffle, most of the time without noticing what's playing. The library is pretty mixed up: pop, dance music, hard rock etc. Most of it are radio hits. He told me that he never spent money on cds. He feels a little guilty for not supporting the artist.

Then I asked myself what it means to be a music fan. Then I became depressed about how superficial (as in "being or affecting or concerned with a surface; not deep or penetrating emotionally or intellectually") people are when it comes music. I'm not being an elitist here, it is an observable fact. I mean, in the most cases, people's musical horizons are strictly limited to what they are fed up to, radio, mtv etc. For them, if it does not exists within the mainstream, it does not exists at all, or it's not worthy of attention for that matter. Those people has bunch of cds (most of the time not exceding 15 cds) that they bought because they felt strongly about that #1 hit song, rambles a bit about how fucking killer the whole album is and then, 2-3 weeks after leave it on the self. Howerver, I know several peoples who really are fan of a given mainstream band. But those are always the first in line to get the damn cd the day it comes out, even despite the fact that they had the leaked mp3 for weeks...and I truly respect that, regardless of the band. But what about someone who accumulates burned cds and mp3s ad infinitum? For exemple, I knew someone who had nearly 3000 burned cds. What about those? Would you say they are music fans? Are they accumulating just for the sake of it?

Speak your mind

I use mp3s as a test to see if I like a certain band...if I like them, I usually buy the CD. To me, that's being a fan...supporting financially the people who work hard to entertain you. And I don't listen to music radio, so I'm not relying on "hits" which as we see now, the major labels are in a huge payola scandal, essentially paying for their hits. fuck them.

Or course people who burn cds are music fans. Purchasing records and being passionate about music are not the same thing. Would you call Bill Gates the greatest metal fan ever if the decided to buy every album ever released? Hardly.

spaffe said:
Or course people who burn cds are music fans. Purchasing records and being passionate about music are not the same thing. Would you call Bill Gates the greatest metal fan ever if the decided to buy every album ever released? Hardly.
No, but why would he do that in the first place? I'm not sure if I agree with you when you say that people who burn cds are music fans. Many burns cds because they don't like the given album enough to have the real thing.

Sadguru said:
That's not being altruist?
a plumber gets paid to plumb.

an electritian gets paid to do wiring.

a mechanic gets paid to fix your car.

a bard gets paid for barding.

I get paid to help support a personnel office.

I don't mean that having burned CDs means you're not a fan...I was thinking of the guy with 3000 burned CDs. I personally burn copies of my favorite or hard-to-purchase CDs just in case. but the point is, having bought the original, its like having a license for a software program.

oh ~ plus...to me the total music experience includes liner notes, cover art, etc. there's just no substitute, if you are really into the band. frinstance, Nad sent me a burned copy of a Unida album, which was out of print. I think that's fair, because the label had let the thing go anyway. But as soon as I could buy a real copy, I did, cause I like em alot.

Sadguru said:
What does it mean to be a music fan?

I don't know really. To ME, it means supporting the bands you love, the scenes you love, being open-minded toward new types of music and such, turning people on to the stuff you love, all of it rolled up into one.

Oh, and having a MASSIVE CD collection. :D

Sadguru said:
No, but why would he do that in the first place? I'm not sure if I agree with you when you say that people who burn cds are music fans. Many burns cds because they don't like the given album enough to have the real thing.

Haha come one, it was an example to illustrate how absurd it is to equal record comsumption and a passion for music.

Uhm, if someone doesn't enjoy an album very much why should he get it? Would someone buying a mediocre album somehow make him a greater music lover?

Ok so someone has bunred a downloaded album and likes it a lot (or "enough" if you will). But why do you mean that the logical conclusion is to pay money for the "real" thing?

yeah if someone has 23908573905 songs on mp3 and has never paid a single cent to any of the bands i don't consider them less of a music fan at all, rather they are just an asshole.

Plzdatemekthx said:
yeah if someone has 23908573905 songs on mp3 and has never paid a single cent to any of the bands i don't consider them less of a music fan at all, rather they are just an asshole.

Haha that might be so, but that's another question :)

A couple of thoughts...

It's quite possible that some people, who love music, can't afford to buy all the music by all the artists who they love. That doesn't make them less of a fan.

Never leaving the mainstream doesn't make you less of a fan. There's a reason Top 40 music is popular; it appeals to the lowest common demoninator. That's not necessarily a bad thing. It is what it is.

I think beyond being a fan, most of the people here have a collector's mentality. For instance, I bet 90% of this board has bought a CD, not because they liked it, but because it meant that they now had the complete discography by a band they enjoy. Being a collector and a fan isn't necessarily the same thing.

Not supporting the band doesn't make you less of a fan of music. It makes you short-sighted, and it may make you a dick, but it doesn't mean you love music any less.

Zod

spaffe said:
Haha come one, it was an example to illustrate how absurd it is to equal record comsumption and a passion for music.

Uhm, if someone doesn't enjoy an album very much why should he get it? Would someone buying a mediocre album somehow make him a greater music lover?

Ok so someone has bunred a downloaded album and likes it a lot (or "enough" if you will).
You're missing my point. I'm not saying that buying a record makes you a music fan. On the other hand, I'm questioning the passion behind the fact of burning cds/accumulation mp3s.

But why do you mean that the logical conclusion is to pay money for the "real" thing?
In case you're a fan, there are several reasons:
1) They get the whole work like it was meant to be
2) Uncompressed audio format (most people burns in 128kbps)
3) Good way to thanks those involved in the album's creation/distribution as a sign of gratitude.

General Zod said:
A couple of thoughts...

It's quite possible that some people, who love music, can't afford to buy all the music by all the artists who they love. That doesn't make them less of a fan.

Zod
well, that may be true...but having thousands of burned CDs is probably just plain selfish...I mean, for the cost of a few McRibs you can 1) own the real, legal thing and 2) support your favorite artist.

General Zod said:
A couple of thoughts...

I question this. If you can't afford the music because you go in restaurants 3 times/week, spend 10$ on renting movies, 20$ at bars etc., then I'm sorry but you're not a fan. What I say is, if music really IS of utmost importance, you'll find the 15$ to buy the cd...unless you're fucking poor. Then I would agree with you, but it's generaly not the case.

Never leaving the mainstream doesn't make you less of a fan. There's a reason Top 40 music is popular; it appeals to the lowest common demoninator. That's not necessarily a bad thing. It is what it is.
Yeah, I agree.

I think beyond being a fan, most of the people here have a collector's mentality. For instance, I bet 90% of this board has bought a CD, not because they liked it, but because it meant that they now had the complete discography by a band they enjoy. Being a collector and a fan isn't necessarily the same thing.
It's not my case therefore I can't speak for others. I agree that being a collector doesn't make you a fan of the music, it makes you a fan of the record as an object.

Not supporting the band doesn't make you less of a fan of music. It makes you short-sighted, and it may make you a dick, but it doesn't mean you love music any less.
lol