Being a music fan.

Erik said:
Yeah oftentimes I download albums first and buy them later nowadays. As an example, I finally got "Genevieve" yesterday or something. As I still have mp3's on my computer, it's not even going to leave the case. :loco: Into the shelves it goes! MINT CONDITION

that's like ordering a hooker from an online website, having her show up, stare at her up and down, make her sit in the corner on a rocking chair ... then go back to the PC and wack off to her picture online :loco:

lurch70 said:
that's like ordering a hooker from an online website, having her show up, stare at her up and down, make her sit in the corner on a rocking chair ... then go back to the PC and wack off to her picture online :loco:

This post screams experience

Ellestin said:
In any case, I'd rather be a passionate than a fan. And I think at some point, chosing not to own everything you like is not a scar on your integrity. Having enough material at hand to keep the hi-fi running for days without hearing twice the same, I'm increasingly reluctant to buy a cd knowing I will most likely listen to twice a year at the utmost. The hard drive then comes into play and it might even be a helping hand to these so-called not-worth-buying albums since they are much more likely to come in the rotation on PC than if they were gathering dust on a shelf, which, at the end of the day, might give the push to buy them after all.
What distinction do you make between a passionate and a fan?

Erik said:
Yeah oftentimes I download albums first and buy them later nowadays. As an example, I finally got "Genevieve" yesterday or something. As I still have mp3's on my computer, it's not even going to leave the case. :loco: Into the shelves it goes! MINT CONDITION

Genevieve :worship: :worship:

Sadguru said:
And do you think the latter is more passionate about music than the former?

Neither, necessarily. This might have been said already, but I'm too lazy to read the rest of the 2nd page. Erik at least hinted at it, maybe. YOU CAN'T SAY THAT EVERYONE WHO BUYS CDS IS A BIGGER MUSIC FAN THAN EVERYONE WHO DOESN'T. Some people can't afford it. Who's a bigger fan, the person who makes $80,000 a year and spends $800 on music, or the person who makes $15,000 and spends $150 because that's all they can afford?

It doesn't work like that. It's a lot more complex, your sweeping generalizations won't answer the question. Same with pretty much everything.

In all actuality, it's more about sacrificing TIME and THOUGHT than MONEY. If someone downloads and burns albums but really spends the time to listen to the music properly and truly enjoy it then yeah he's a far bigger fan than someone who buys the albums listen to them once and stash them away in the archive for whatever reason. The thing is that MOST people who download only are shallow people who use music as BACKGROUND ENTERTAINMENT so it's very EASY however NOT ENTIRELY ACCURATE to make SWEEPING GENERALIZATIONS.

Demilich said:
Neither, necessarily. This might have been said already, but I'm too lazy to read the rest of the 2nd page. Erik at least hinted at it, maybe. YOU CAN'T SAY THAT EVERYONE WHO BUYS CDS IS A BIGGER MUSIC FAN THAN EVERYONE WHO DOESN'T. Some people can't afford it. Who's a bigger fan, the person who makes $80,000 a year and spends $800 on music, or the person who makes $15,000 and spends $150 because that's all they can afford?

It doesn't work like that. It's a lot more complex, your sweeping generalizations won't answer the question. Same with pretty much everything.

I argued all that in the previous posts. If you overcome your lasiness, check it out.

Erik said:
In all actuality, it's more about sacrificing TIME and THOUGHT than MONEY. If someone downloads and burns albums but really spends the time to listen to the music properly and truly enjoy it then yeah he's a far bigger fan than someone who buys the albums listen to them once and stash them away in the archive for whatever reason. The thing is that MOST people who download only are shallow people who use music as BACKGROUND ENTERTAINMENT so it's very EASY however NOT ENTIRELY ACCURATE to make SWEEPING GENERALIZATIONS.
My point exactly.

Why bother?

Either way, I was explaining why I can't just say PERSON A is a bigger music fan than PERSON B without actually talking to these people and knowing them. Not only would it be very difficult or impossible to accurately appraise such a hypothetical situation, but it's pretty much useless for me to do so.

Passionate make me think of someone getting the latest Agalloch CD and rubbing the liner notes all over their body.

Demilich said:
Why bother?

Either way, I was explaining why I can't just say PERSON A is a bigger music fan than PERSON B without actually talking to these people and knowing them. Not only would it be very difficult or impossible to accurately appraise such a hypothetical situation, but it's pretty much useless for me to do so.

No need to fuck with a said person to know if he's a musical geek or not.

Erik said:
Yeah oftentimes I download albums first and buy them later nowadays.
I download almost everything, before I buy it. First off, downloads are vailable sooner. But more importantly, I don't want to buy shit.

Erik said:
As an example, I finally got "Genevieve" yesterday or something. As I still have mp3's on my computer, it's not even going to leave the case. Into the shelves it goes! MINT CONDITION
I do this all the time. I have the MP3s. Once I find that I play the MP3s enough, I feel I owe it to the artist to buy the disc. However, it may be something that I'd never listen to in the car, so on my iPod it stays and the CD case is never opened.

By the way, agreeing with Erik doesn't automatically make me an Oompa Loompa, does it?:loco:

Zod

Sadguru said:
I question this. If you can't afford the music because you go in restaurants 3 times/week, spend 10$ on renting movies, 20$ at bars etc., then I'm sorry but you're not a fan. What I say is, if music really IS of utmost importance, you'll find the 15$ to buy the cd...
Or unless you're on a budget. If you're married and/or have kids, actually owning the CD may not be a priority. It may not be an expense you can justify to your spouse. For instance, if you buy 100 CDs a year, you're talking $1,500. That means 15 fewer nights where you can take the old lady for dinner and a movie, or buy the kids that new toy they want. These are just facts of life. People have priorities, and supporting the artist/owning the artwork often isn't one of them.

Zod