Being a music fan.

It makes perfect sense. I don't waste my time listening to a bunch of cd's I burned that contain 2 solid tracks. There's plenty of music out there that can give me a full album of enjoyment. So why go through with the arsing of downloading 10 tracks of shit to get one good song, just to burn it to a cd that i'll end up using as a coaster? Better off just disregarding it and finding something I thoroughly enjoy. It would be the equivalent of sitting through a 3 hoursnore fest, for the sake of watching a 5 min shoot out.

I Download 2-3 tracks as an indicator, while looking up some reviews to get other people's persepective on it. If I enjoy the tracks I pick the album up, if I don't, I disregard.

I see. If you know anything about me, I buy most albums blind, especially from bands that I implicitly trust.

For bands that I don't know about, I try to give the album a few listens all the way through before making a determination as to whether or not it's worth my hard-earned cash. Since an entire "standard" album (45-50 minutes) in 192 kbs MP3 usually isn't more than 65 MB or so, it's not very hard to get the whole thing. I can't just listen to a track or 2 and know if I want the record.

i think i'm going to go back to blind purchases once again, mp3 samples make me more of a consumer than a fan. i'm really starting to believe they do as much harm as they do good.

for example:
mp3s have about 2 minutes to capture my attention, and i only listen to them at the computer where i'm not paying attention anyhow.

CD-Rs have a better chance, but after a track or 2 if i'm not hooked, i chuck it out.

CDs i went out and bought cash to and can peruse the booklet with get at least 3 full spins because i don't want to waste my money.

i'm sure i've blown off perfectly good bands after less than satisfactory time spent trying them out.

well, for me it should be simple because when it comes to non-metal, i very very VERY rarely download. mostly because my completely non-metal habits are in the 20 to 40 year old age realm, so the albums i purchase have like 298353508 reviews out there, and i go for mostly classics because it represents a smaller portion of my listening habits. i doubt i'll ever own the entire discography to Joy Division or the Pixies, but i will have one or two choice albums from each.

with metal it's completely different. since i'm overly exposed to it, i naturally become extremely picky when there are say 500 different bands to choose from in one particular style. so yeah i'll listen to Immortal - Battles in the North and recognize it as good shit, but have a personal preference toward Taake because i think they have nearly perfected a good formula.

i'm just babbling again, but i think this makes snes (haha, coolest typo evAr).

Meh im too tired to write my opinion on this again..since i fought alot with speed about it in another thread. The short story is : mp3s are gay, cdrs are gay, those who have huge cdr and mp3 discographies (and buy a lot less than the ones they have in mp3 and cdr) should vomit their intestines like the chick in city of the living dead did. And its not just supporting the band live, because most bands need to sale albums first before they manage to go on tour, give live shows.

Erik said:
Yeah and I'm starting to think that you're right. BUT IT'S SO HARD TO RESIST. I mean like when new Katatonia leaks mid-December and it doesn't have an official release until GOD DAMN APRIL, what's a fanboy supposed to do?

I'm as guilty as being a fanboy as anyone, and the bands I *TRULY* am dying to hear, I'll wait until I can own the record.

New Thyrfing, case in point. It leaked, I had access and downloaded it. I got 3, maybe 4 songs in and stopped it. I want to own it first and really listen, not early or anything.

Plzdatemekthx said:
well, for me it should be simple because when it comes to non-metal, i very very VERY rarely download. mostly because my completely non-metal habits are in the 20 to 40 year old age realm, so the albums i purchase have like 298353508 reviews out there, and i go for mostly classics because it represents a smaller portion of my listening habits. i doubt i'll ever own the entire discography to Joy Division or the Pixies, but i will have one or two choice albums from each.

with metal it's completely different. since i'm overly exposed to it, i naturally become extremely picky when there are say 500 different bands to choose from in one particular style. so yeah i'll listen to Immortal - Battles in the North and recognize it as good shit, but have a personal preference toward Taake because i think they have nearly perfected a good formula.

i'm just babbling again, but i think this makes snes (haha, coolest typo evAr).

Joy Division only HAS 2 albums, lol. :loco:

IOfTheStorm said:
Meh im too tired to write my opinion on this again..since i fought alot with speed about it in another thread. The short story is : mp3s are gay, cdrs are gay, those who have huge cdr and mp3 discographies (and buy a lot less than the ones they have in mp3 and cdr) should vomit their intestines like the chick in city of the living dead did. And its not just supporting the band live, because most bands need to sale albums first before they manage to go on tour, give live shows.

Now maybe you didn't read the whole thread, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. We share opinions on the whole downloading thing, but what do you have against downloading an album to see if you like it before buying it?

The newest Battleroar is a perfect example. I would've bought that album without hesitation 1-2 years ago, based on the damned cover alone, lol. But I've downloaded it instead, and decided I really don't like it much at all. Thank god I did, because otherwise I'd be out the $15 right now.

You people ignored this :
those who have huge cdr and mp3 discographies (and buy a lot less than the ones they have in mp3 and cdr) should vomit their intestines like the chick in city of the living dead did
Of course i am not talking about downloading an album at a time, or some samples, im talking about massive downloading and cd r collecting, and buying almost nothing.

General Zod said:
Or unless you're on a budget. If you're married and/or have kids, actually owning the CD may not be a priority. It may not be an expense you can justify to your spouse. For instance, if you buy 100 CDs a year, you're talking $1,500. That means 15 fewer nights where you can take the old lady for dinner and a movie, or buy the kids that new toy they want. These are just facts of life. People have priorities, and supporting the artist/owning the artwork often isn't one of them.

Zod
In that case, a music fan will include cd(s) in his budget. If he doesn't, he might greatly enjoy music, but he's no fan. It's as simple as that.

:cool:

I knew what you meant though. And in reality, JD has 2 albums, and a gazillion best-of's, compilations, bootleg releases, live albums, etc., as every record label on the planet seeks to milk every last penny out of Ian Curtis's decaying corpse.

By the way i will never understand people who download albums all the time. I mean is it really neccesary to listen to all the music of the world in 1 year? Will you have the right time to give proper listens to it, in order to full understand it? Also most people listen an album they bought with much more attention than they do with an album they downloaded. You will give more spins and chances to the album you buy, but the album you downloaded .. you'll never know if you would like it after many listening sessions, and we all know that there are many great albums in music that are appreciated only after LOTS of listening.

IOfTheStorm said:
By the way i will never understand people who download albums all the time. I mean is it really neccesary to listen to all the music of the world in 1 year? Will you have the right time to give proper listens to it, in order to full understand it? Also most people listen an album they bought with much more attention than they do with an album they downloaded. You will give more spins and chances to the album you buy, but the album you downloaded .. you'll never know if you would like it after many listening sessions, and we all know that there are many great albums in music that are appreciated only after LOTS of listening.
Yes, in that case, it seems that the only interest is to have as many "great" albums as possible, but unless you give it a proper listen, you won't understand its greatness at all.

Just had to chime in a wee bit in the point of sacrificing thought, time and money; I don't see it as a SACRIFICE since it's what I want to do instead of whatever, I GAIN something instead of losing.