Belladonna

Apr 3, 2005
So what exactly is he up to?

Im prompted to ask due to his non appearence at NAMM and that there is never any mention of him during the writing process updates that we sometimes see.

I take it he has no input into the writing at all? Just someone to literally sing and that's it?

In order to show solidarity - what solo albums do people recommend (if any) to get?

He was part of the Christmas Metal Symphony European tour at the end of 2013.

He's also part of this tour:
http://www.metalallstars.com/

And he is always doing shows with his solo band and cover band.

In terms of his solo stuff, I only know his S/T disc. Spotify has 4 albums listed, as does his wiki page.

I doubt he has any input in the writing process.

You are correct. Joey sings, that is all. I don't think Scott & Charlie want any input.....it's their band. Tells ya what they think of his "ability" to write songs. John, on the other hand, was a co-writer on many songs. And more than likely when they asked him to come back, and he was not allowed input on WM, I think he decided to call it a day.

You are correct. Joey sings, that is all. I don't think Scott & Charlie want any input.....it's their band. Tells ya what they think of his "ability" to write songs. John, on the other hand, was a co-writer on many songs. And more than likely when they asked him to come back, and he was not allowed input on WM, I think he decided to call it a day.

Pretty much how it's been all along,besides sown he had very little say or input,sorry to bring that up but that's the truth,as long as belladonna sings his balls out I could care less;)

Pretty much how it's been all along,besides sown he had very little say or input,sorry to bring that up but that's the truth,as long as belladonna sings his balls out I could care less;)
Bush had writing or co-writing credits on all his albums. But I hear ya. If you all are down with Joey, I respect that. I always liked him as a singer. Just not his stage prescence. But to each his own......

Joey is currently touring with his cover band. I'm supposed to see them Saturday night. Choconut, PA. It should be a pretty cool show. IDK what's going to be played besides classic rock stuff. I wouldn't of known but a friend of mine works where their performing. He saw something saying the singer from Anthrax was performing and called me right away.

If your talking about initial instrumentation, then your right, Joey has no input in that regard (and neither did John). However, arranging vocals, harmonies, pitch, etc. is a major part of writing a song. Obviously you can't just grab any dude off the street to lay down vocals and get the same end result with the new upcoming album. Joey and Jon's input is just as important to the finished songs.

Bush did the same thing (vocals) except he may have co-written some of the lyrics as well, ehhh, big whoop

In order to show solidarity - what solo albums do people recommend (if any) to get?

I'd start with the S/T one, its pretty good. You can preview his solo albums here: http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/Belladonna8

His 2nd solo release (spells of fear) isn't listed. He may not be happy with that one because the production that album was muddy and sub par but the music itself was good. unfortunately, the production killed what otherwise would have been a good solo release.

Interesting, how his theory of charlie/scott not having faith in Joey's writing ability pops up yet a number of the songs from Worship Music could have easily fit in with songs from Joey's previous albums where he writes the music and lyrics with his solo band from beginning to end.

If your talking about initial instrumentation, then your right, Joey has no input in that regard (and neither did John). However, arranging vocals, harmonies, pitch, etc. is a major part of writing a song. Obviously you can't just grab any dude off the street to lay down vocals and get the same end result with the new upcoming album. Joey and Jon's input is just as important to the finished songs.

Bush did the same thing (vocals) except he may have co-written some of the lyrics as well, ehhh, big whoop

I'd start with the S/T one, its pretty good. You can preview his solo albums here: http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/Belladonna8

His 2nd solo release (spells of fear) isn't listed. He may not be happy with that one because the production that album was muddy and sub par but the music itself was good. unfortunately, the production killed what otherwise would have been a good solo release.

Interesting, how his theory of charlie/scott not having faith in Joey's writing ability pops up yet a number of the songs from Worship Music could have easily fit in with songs from Joey's previous albums where he writes the music and lyrics with his solo band from beginning to end.

I couldn't believe how good his first solo album was,don't know if it cause expectations were low or he just impressed,solid album from start to finish

I couldn't believe how good his first solo album was,don't know if it cause expectations were low or he just impressed,solid album from start to finish

It's definitely the latter. Joey's an all around talented cat. I'm not sure if even Charlie can play the Led Zepplin/RUSH/Jouney/etc. songs on the drums while simultanesouly doing lead vocals without missing a note. That's what Joey does with his cover band, Chief Big Way.

Honestly, I found myself listening to Joey's 1st solo album more than the subsequent releases following SOWN during the Bush era of Anthrax. Musically, his S/T release sounds more like the next step after POT than SOWN. Joey has always done his thing (MUSIC) with or without Anthrax. He's a good songwriter (despite some of the theories said here lol) and artist. I remember an interview where Joey invited Dan Spitz over to co-write some music for possible future side projects and mentioned how Dan Spitz was suprised at Joey's studio and gear setup at his house. Joey's response to Dan's surprise was something along the lines of "hey man, it's what I do" :lol:

Unfortunately, the stuff he wrote with Spitz never saw the light of day (yet).

So what's the deal with this Jonathan Donais guy ? He's supposedly the new full time member or a fill in ?

It's now Feburary 2014 and they still did not update their webpage..lol

anthrax.jpg