Best Active Metal Bands

S<issors

wins.
Jan 16, 2007
What metal bands do you think are still cranking out good, listenable material? Make a list or just throw out some names.

I did this list-ishly, but this isn't a definitive top-ten for me, just the first few names that came to mind. It also isn't in any order.

1. I'm a slavering Dream Theater fanboy and I love their last album, I think it's the best they've done since Scenes (which is pretty much my favorite metal album, period).

2.Opeth is an incredibly obvious choice...

3. ...as are Enslaved...

4. ...and Ulver (if you can consider them 'metal' anymore).

5.As my sig might suggest, I'm liking the direction Skinless are heading in- quality no-frills death metal.

6. Neurosis' last couple of albums are good stuff (Eye of Every Storm in particular).

7. Meshuggah kick ass.

8. Despite their best efforts to alienate me by naming albums after cocks, I still enjoy listening to Nile.

9. While Agalloch are kinda too pansyish to be considered "metal," I like them, too.

10+. Behemoth and DHG are both 'aight, as well. And Katatonia, Draconian, Summoning... oh, and SymX's new album makes them somewhat less gay than they used to be...

Anyway. Your turn.

Apart from the aforementioned, who i generally agree with.

Isis
Cult Of Luna
Negur&#259; Bunget
Deathspell Omega
Vehemener Nos
The Axis Of Perdition
Blut Aus Nord
Textures
Shining
Akercocke

top 4:
DHG
Akercocke
Opeth
Enslaved

meshuggah and ulver are still favorites of mind, they just don;t rank as high as the others i listed

Trivium
Shadows Fall
Children of Bodom
In flames ( only recent era)

Fuck elitism, I want big choruses, fun, energy and efficiency in metal not some pseudo electro, proggy King Crismon regurgitation trying to pass as black metal to have the ghetto " My music is much more than metal" tag which I find boring after the first spacey keyboard "insert your late 60's, early 70's keyboard here" minute intro/outro.

There won't be Enslaved nostalgia tours in 2035, mark my words, newbies.

Opeth
Esoteric
Sigh
Enslaved
Akercocke
My Dying Bride
Morbid Angel
Summoning
Meshuggah
Ulver (Well they were metal so I'd say it counts)
Anathema (Same deal here)

Just a very quick list I thought of. There's tons more but I'm lazy.

The 4 best bands:

Katatonia
Nevermore
Opeth
Enslaved

All good bands still writing quality metal:

Akercocke
Meshuggah
Isis(even though their last album wasn't as great as their older stuff)
Morbid angel(never released a single bad album in their entire career <3)
Esoteric
Madder Mortem
Blut Aus Nord
Shining

IMO enslaved is just getting warmed up. I'm going out on a limb here and saying that their best music still has yet to be written.

Theres hundreds of them but Ill stick with the ones that have really made a name for themself and should be known by anyone who considers themself a metalhead.

Opeth
Dream Theater
Porcupine Tree
Mercenary (their relatively new but these guys fucking rock)
Brainstorm
Anything Devin Townsend creates
Exodus (If only Metallica had had enough balls to stick to their guns like these guys have)
Mastodon
Iron Maiden
Lamb of God
Megadeth
Nevermore
Slayer
Machine Head (Their newest disk didnt leave my player for about a month straight, lol.)

Black Metal fanatics are weird.

Anyway, if Porcupine Tree can be considered metal, they're obviously on the list as well. Haven't listened to much new MDB, should get on that.

Anything Devin Townsend creates

this man's a genius. I can see how one can dislike him, but I think he's an extraordinary songwriter, he is a million times more creative than 99&#37; of today's metal artists, he writes awesome solos, he has an amazing voice and....I could go on....
well, I love him and Biomech has been my favourite album for almost 10 years now!

Opeth
Borknagar
Vintersorg
Dan Swan&#246;'s shite
Devin's shite
Mastadon
Gojira
Aker-cocky
Burst
in the woods...
Amorphis
Bal-Sagoth

Seriously though, there are still a fuck load of good bands out there.