• Damnation

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Ghost Reveries

Votes: 35 10.4%
  • Watershed

Votes: 26 7.7%

• Total voters
How is 35 percent a majority?!

If Opeth had 2 albums out the debate would be easy to settle, but as of 2008 it's thankfully not the case.

Why is it so hard to understand that along the long Opeth's career different people got to appreciate different aspects of Opeth's music?

Actually the real question is:

WHY do you think people should agree with YOU on what constitutes the best Opeth album?

Jeez, WHEN WILL YOU GET IT?!

35% is the majority because it represents the highest percentage of people who agree on a particular album being the best. no one else is troubled in conceiving that SL has won this poll. again, this isn't the point of our debate, and neither are the amount of albums opeth have or the appreciation of different aspects of opeth music.

to answer your last question, i don't expect that people should agree with me on what constitutes the best opeth album. why do you have that impression? the nature of this poll is to determine which album is, by majority, the best opeth album, and that is exactly what has been done. are you clear now? you're really testing my patience.

You are clearly unable to understand the basic fact that THE MAJORITY (that's 65%) think that Still Life is not the best album.

Please explain to the majority of people who DID NOT VOTE for Still Life on this poll why their opinion is less important than the opinion of those who voted for Still Life on that poll:

:rolleyes: ...And I could bring back to table that Blackwater Park has been sold about twice more than Still Life (let's hope I'm not wrong on this). What's the best album already? Dah. So are trying again to show that Still Life is objectively the best album? Alright you can stop, now.

34% = Still Life
24% = Blackwater Park
14% = My arms, your hearse

Nothing can show which album is the "best" album, because even if we asked the question to every single fan in the world, opinions change and everyone's answer depends on many variable factors. And dividing everyone's answer the way this kind of poll does is not a very accurate way to determine which album the majority prefer (preferences doesn't make something the "best"... maybe the "best" to listen for the majority, but still never the "best", which doesn't mean a lot of things.) In fact, I'm sure a poll that would ask a rating from 0 to 20 on every songs would make it clearer, instead of dividing votes, or even on every albums (takes less time, but less accurate). Even there, our results wouldn't be very conclusive. Maybe indicative. We're so few on this forum.

The people who voted for Watershed must be retarded.

Yes they must. Watershed is such a shit album. It is disgusting and has no interest. I can't believe someone could love it, just a little, without being a total dumbass. Heh. Hmm hmm...

You are clearly unable to understand the basic fact that THE MAJORITY (that's 65%) think that Still Life is not the best album.

Please explain to the majority of people who DID NOT VOTE for Still Life on this poll why their opinion is less important than the opinion of those who voted for Still Life on that poll:

their opinion is not less important. pay attention to the point of debate. you're right, 65% of voters do not think still life is the best. on the other hand, 76% of people do not think that BWP is the best. even more so, 86% of people do not think that MAYH is the best. i hope it's becoming evident to you that still life is the best album (only by consensus, we're not speaking of objective superiority here) because the smallest amount of people (65%) disagree that it is the best album. that 65% also corresponds to the largest rate at which people agree (35%). this isn't rocket science, but i hope i've made it clear for you and whoever else has been lead poisoned during childhood.

Nasty-Fire: agreed completely. this poll is not to determine once and for all which opeth album is the greatest. the point of this thread is simply to determine the consensus on this forum, and that we have done.

No matter how hard you try you will NOT draw a consensus - simply because the best it would achieve would be a consensus of a minority.

People would still disagree with you, as they are now, and they would be as right as they are now.

Your opinion backed by a minority means shit to me, and not only me so:
wake up, smell the coffee and get over it.

why can't less than 50% of voters constitute a majority? this is almost always the case when there are more than two voting options.

no one but yourself is disagreeing with me. your failure to derive meaning from these basic statistics isn't going to impede this discussion any more. it's officially over.

BWP, because it is the album that FINALLY made me realize that growlz=good.
It was every bit the revelation to me that, say, Elvis Presley was to some kid in the 50's or the Beatles were in the 60's. This album opened me up to a whole new world beyond thrash.

why can't less than 50% of voters constitute a majority? this is almost always the case when there are more than two voting options.

no one but yourself is disagreeing with me. your failure to derive meaning from these basic statistics isn't going to impede this discussion any more. it's officially over.

Nah, sorry dude, but by definition majority equals MORE THAN 50 PERCENT. That is why you see runoffs in elections. In other words, if this were an election that required a majority, it would be SL vs. BWP in a runoff. SL is winning, but its not a majority.

i suppose you're right. i should have said plurality, not majority. nonetheless, the outcome doesn't change. SL wins, and the consensus is the same as always.

Just listened to some Still Life again for the first time in a long time.

Still like Watershed the best.

Some clever guy in this forum said that Opeth's best albums were MAYH, Still Life and BWP in a row. Think them as a single album and settle the debate.