Best album of 2011

The Haunted - Unseen

An honorable mention goes out to Decapitated - Carnival Is Forever as well. But Unseen is the pretty clear winner so far this year, it's probably the best album The Haunted have released.

Forgot to mention that if it weren't for vocals my top album list this year might look very different. There is something about the modern screamo/emo influenced vocal stylings that rubs me entirely the wrong way. Instead of supporting the music with sparse phrasing and supportive harmonic choices, the goal of most vocalists these days appears to be as obnoxious as humanly possible.

Forgot to mention that if it weren't for vocals my top album list this year might look very different. There is something about the modern screamo/emo influenced vocal stylings that rubs me entirely the wrong way. Instead of supporting the music with sparse phrasing and supportive harmonic choices, the goal of most vocalists these days appears to be as obnoxious as humanly possible.

Just being curious, what are those vocalists that you disliked ? And what are your reference vocalists ?

@Djabthrash,
"Top album", not "Top 80 albums" ;p

For me.. wow, not metal at all. This just got released a week or so ago and it's fucking brilliant. I can post one song but it's really an entire-album kinda thing (and that's rare for me, I'm 98% time on shuffle), killer vocals, just incredible.

Last edited by a moderator:
FUCK YEAH !!! :wave:

Super catchy pop-punk songs, very inspired and diverse album, and the productions is TITS (very Steve Evetts) ! And the "special' vocals don't annoy me anymore :)

Yeah, I'm not into the production as much as I was on the previous one (Bendeth... go figure), but I really like the songwriting and overall feel of the album. I had the time of my life spending 8 weeks with those guys this summer, definitely one of the best bands on Warped Tour and some of the coolest guys in the world!

@Djabthrash,
"Top album", not "Top 80 albums" ;p

Well except for the "disappointment" ones i think they all slay or are gonna slay (for the ones that are not out yet), and trust me i'm really picky with my music and there's also tons of stuff that's been released in 2011 that do nothing to me... But yeah i got kinda ridiculous with my list haha :)

+ i don't do that much producing so i might not be as burnt out (is that correct ? burn out ? burned out ? burnout ? PHOK) than some of you may be (when you produce heavy music all day it's hard to enjoy it that much anymore i guess) :)

Yeah, I'm not into the production as much as I was on the previous one (Bendeth... go figure), but I really like the songwriting and overall feel of the album. I had the time of my life spending 8 weeks with those guys this summer, definitely one of the best bands on Warped Tour and some of the coolest guys in the world!

The previous album sounded bigger/fatter/smoother/more polished/more modern, a bit like radio pop punk like Paramore's "Riot !" IMO, which is great but i prefer less big but more organic/rock'n'roll/clear/slightly aggressive production (which reminds me of some Steve Evetts productions) like the last one.
I was afraid they would put out an average album (it's hard to do some good pop punk these days since it seems all has been said and done in this genre) but once again they kicked my ass and achieved their best release so far !

What did you do on Warped Tour ? Played in band ? Did sound ?

I liked quite a few albums a lot this year. But judging by the one that got the most spins and just doesn't seem to ged old at all I'd have to say
Sylosis - Edge of the Earth

Revocation's Chaos of Forms is a damn close second. And I've yet to see how the new Megadeth record turns out - and how the Mastodon and Machine Head records grow on me.

I was really disappointed with the new Vines album..Future Primitive I believe is the name...which is a shame...I also found the new RHCP album disappointing...I really enjoyed Nervecell's newest album, Psychogenocide...I think the new Insomnium album is gonna be one of the better albums as well. Chthonic's Takasago Army sounded tight. I was hoping for a few better rock albums though

For me, my record of the year so far is Arch / Matheos "Sympathetic Resonance" - John Arch back working with Jim Matheos is just one of those dreams come true for me, add to that Joey Vera on bass, Bobby Jarzombek on drums (big thumbs up to his effort on this disc), and Frank Aresti on lead guitar and it's just equates to a stellar disc.

archmathoes.jpg