Best album of 2011

I found Decon pretty dissapointing...still some wicked parts and mix but not as good as I was hoping with what the idea of it was and everyone involved. Some of my faves so far:

Mercenary
Decapitated
Textures

Nothing this year has wowed me yet, but if Misery Signals manage to put out an album this year that'll take the cream.

Despite the enormous amounts of releases this year, of which many have been great, my vote goes to Beyond Creation - The Aura.

Proof that technical death metal can have great songs with atmosphere and flow as well as variety, and 8-string guitars can be useful.
Extra points for getting away with the most prominent fretless bass sound ever and (sparingly) using breakdowns that actually benefit the song at hand. Oh, and for being a fucking DEBUT ALBUM! :yow:

Sorry Devin, sorry Decapitated... that's it this year.

Check this out:

Last edited by a moderator:
I find these threads interesting. It's interesting to me to hear how varied different tastes and opinions are on this forum. I like threads like this because I go and check out all the albums people suggest that I haven't already heard about hoping for a great new album to listen to. Then again, it's very interesting to hear what some posters may consider their favorite album of the year.

Lets just say... I was shocked by what some of you are considering by far the "best" of the year. lol! It really makes me wonder if I should consider statements in other threads from these individuals in the future at all, and it shocked me because I usually have a lot of respect for what they have to say.

I'm not saying that there are posters here that have no idea what they're talking about, rather, the subective aspect associated with music may render someones opinions useless when discussing music or production that sounds very different than what they consider to sound "good" to them.

I guess the lesson learned is, "what sounds good to some may sound horrible to others". Take what others have to say with a grain of salt especially when you like apples and they like oranges.

For me, I'm leaning towards Symphony X Iconoclast especially for production. Devin Townsend Deconstruction, and Dream Theater's A dramatic Turn of Events, although I wish the mix was better on that album.

For me.. wow, not metal at all. This just got released a week or so ago and it's fucking brilliant. I can post one song but it's really an entire-album kinda thing (and that's rare for me, I'm 98% time on shuffle), killer vocals, just incredible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebTbDZ-xQds

Before the vocals kick in : Huey Lewis & The News anyone ? :)

I like this. Sounds like some killer 80's stuff without sounding dated. And that album cover is great.

Thanks for the discovery (sounds English ?).

I was actually pretty disappointed with Devin's album(s) actually.

I've followed his career religiously since 'City' came out, and to me nothing he has done tops that album and Ocean Machine (my favourite album of all time)
But throughout his career he has had highs and less highs (don't want to say lows) at various points. But I'd have to say the last bunch of stuff he has done really hasn't amazed the balls off me like Terria, Accelerated Evolution and even the likes of Ziltoid (which I like musically but struggle to listen to, due to that DKFH snare).

All IMHO of course, but Decon really wasn't that consistent for me which was a real shame.

I find these threads interesting. It's interesting to me to hear how varied different tastes and opinions are on this forum. I like threads like this because I go and check out all the albums people suggest that I haven't already heard about hoping for a great new album to listen to. Then again, it's very interesting to hear what some posters may consider their favorite album of the year.

Lets just say... I was shocked by what some of you are considering by far the "best" of the year. lol! It really makes me wonder if I should consider statements in other threads from these individuals in the future at all, and it shocked me because I usually have a lot of respect for what they have to say.

I'm not saying that there are posters here that have no idea what they're talking about, rather, the subective aspect associated with music may render someones opinions useless when discussing music or production that sounds very different than what they consider to sound "good" to them.

I guess the lesson learned is, "what sounds good to some may sound horrible to others". Take what others have to say with a grain of salt especially when you like apples and they like oranges.

For me, I'm leaning towards Symphony X Iconoclast especially for production. Devin Townsend Deconstruction, and Dream Theater's A dramatic Turn of Events, although I wish the mix was better on that album.

Music is subjective, as you said

Damn! This is great!
Before the vocals kick in : Huey Lewis & The News anyone ? :)

I like this. Sounds like some killer 80's stuff without sounding dated. And that album cover is great.

Thanks for the discovery (sounds English ?).

Glad you guys like it, and as I said, the album as a whole is much better than any individual song.
I think they're Aussie.

Symphony X- Iconoclast : Gets 1st place hands down. The chorus of the title track alone gives it the win.

Runners-up for Favorite Album:
Devin Townsend Project- Deconstruction : Its Devin.....he could have farted into a mic (which he actually may have now that I think of it) and it would get more spins than half the shit that came out.
Within Temptation- The Unforgiving : Love this album and how a more pop/rock sound suited it so well
Bury Your Dead- Mosh n' Roll : (Flamesuit on)

Worthy of Mention:
Leaves' Eyes- Meredead :The "To France" cover is awesome.

Anxiously Awaiting: Insomnium- One for Sorrow \m/