Best and Worst Arranged Opeth Songs

burntoast

Jan 8, 2007
What are you choices for Opeth's best and worst arranged songs? In other words, we're looking for exceptional flow and transition, as well as the "goodness of fit" of every riff or passage or musical idea.

I think "The Leper Affinity" is exceptionally arranged, but "Porcelain Heart" needed a hell of a lot more work.

Hm? You mean Black Rose Immortal is too long? Not for me. I like the way its arranged and I like every single riff.

except it's just that, a riff fest. riff, riff, riff, riff. there's no structure or flow to any of the parts, like most of orchid/mr.

best is probably ghost of perdition / masters apprentices. worst, definitely everything off of orchid/mr except tnatsw.

best: ghost of perdition, the leper affinity
worst: black rose immortal

porcelain heart isn't arranged all that bad, it's just that it blows

Definitely Porcelain Heart is very badly arranged, but most of the badly arranged songs would be from their first few albums, I think.

As for well arranged songs, the first one that comes to mind is The Moor, but in general the newer songs are better arranged, aside from Watershed, which has some pretty bad arrangements IMHO (not just Porcelain Heart).

Hm? You mean Black Rose Immortal is too long? Not for me. I like the way its arranged and I like every single riff.

no man i like it too but saying it has a flowing structure is ridiculous
its a pretty obvious choice getting "worst" on this thread, so seeing you wrote it as best was a surprise

Gotta love Blackwater Park. Definitely not a traditional approach but man it's a monster.

Worst? Not a fan of Masters' Apprentices (not a fan of the abrupt outro), but hey that's just me.

ps- Black Rose Immortal may not have a smooth flow, but in some ways that is what makes it so beautiful. There are moments of silence where you can imagine yourself in solitude in the wilderness, amazing.