Best Christian Metal Albums

This list will surely be subject to change as I feel I am just discovering tons of new Christian metal bands. According to my iTunes' Christian metal playlist, I had 53 Christian metal albums until a year ago. I now have 124 (and a bunch on the way thanks to online Black Friday sales)! So there are many bands and albums I am still digesting. It's hard for me to call an album I have had for a short time a "classic" until more time has passed (Theocracy being the exception).

10. Divinefire - Glory Thy Name
9. Stryper - Soldiers Under Command
8. Lightmare - The Fool
7. HB - The Jesus Metal Explosion
6. HB - Frozen Inside
5. Veni Domine - Spiritual Wasteland
4. Veni Domine - Material Sanctuary
3. Theocracy - Theocracy
2. Theocracy - As The World Bleeds
1. Theocracy - Mirror Of Souls

Some bands/albums I think may creep their way into the top 10 if given more time:

Mehida - Blood & Water (I second Verbum Lux's comments - my personal favorite so far is the song "Grace")
Harmony - Chapter II: Aftermath
Sacrecy - Sacrecy
HB - Pääkallonpaikka
Metratone - The Powerful Hand
Majestic Vanguard - Beyond The Moon
The Sacrificed - III
perhaps an album by Jacobs Dream, Seventh Avenue, Narnia, or ReinXeed

Yeah, likewise my list will change as I discover and buy more Christian metal.
Does anyone know if Scelerata is a Christian band? If so, they'd be sure to have at least one album in my top 10, but if not, here's my list:

10. HB - Piikki Lihassa or Tourniquet - Microscopic View of a Telescopic Realm &/or Stop the Bleeding.
09. Vengeance (Rising) - Human Sacrifice. What a classic!
08. Mortification - Scrolls of the Megilloth. Too growly for some of you guys, but their most amazing album!
07. Stryper - Soldiers Under Command. In 1990 my whole top 5 would have been Stryper.
06. Deliverance - Deliverance
05. One Bad Pig - Swine Flew
04. Neon Cross - Neon Cross
03. Theocracy - Theocracy
02. Theocracy - Mirror of Souls
01. Theocracy - As the World Bleeds

No big surprises in my top 3!

Hold on a second...

@matt schrauben

The band in your signature, did you guys release an album for free listening on your site a while back?

The name rang a bell, and I found your album on my pc somewhere, I once copied it whole on my phone and gave it a few listens, there was something I liked, but the overall concept of "slow" prog wasn't so appealing. All in all in the end it was great, although I'd prefer it if you were faster. What's going on with your band?

I know this is a little off topic but they list themselves as a Christian band on metal-archives.com and the album is unique so why not give it some coverage in a thread like this :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ6zHiKoyp8

We did release it a while back. I think it may have even been the Theocracy forum where our name came up once, but I can't remember.

Anyway, we are now recording our next album, which judging from the areas of dissatisfaction you listed above you will be most certainly pleased with the new stuff. Also trying to play out live as much as possible too.

We didn't enter ourselves on the metal-archives website. That was done by somebody else. I know we were put under the label "Christian" on that site. Officially, we have never stated that we are, however (much to our surprise and pleasure) we have found our band being discussed on several forums and the "are they a Christian band?" discussion is the most popular one.

Anyway, we are all Christian dudes, and of course that influences what we put into our music. We have never labeled ourselves anything, and honestly I like it that way. I prefer to let the listener be the interpreter of our music and decide for themselves what we mean to them.

Also,
If you want to know more on what we are up to, you can follow us on our forum here at ultimate metal, or any other social media you can think of. :D

Anyway, we are now recording our next album, which judging from the areas of dissatisfaction you listed above you will be most certainly pleased with the new stuff. Also trying to play out live as much as possible too.

Hold up buddy, you misunderstood me, I listened to that album over and over again, I did like it a lot. Not gonna lie, if the new stuff is faster it's gonna be amazing but I would never suggest discarding the "old" style, that was pretty awesome as well! I especially liked the vocals, there was something odd yet appealing.

Also,
If you want to know more on what we are up to, you can follow us on our forum here at ultimate metal, or any other social media you can think of. :D
Had no idea you had your own forum here on UM, you definitely need some more coverage.

Hold up buddy, you misunderstood me, I listened to that album over and over again, I did like it a lot. Not gonna lie, if the new stuff is faster it's gonna be amazing but I would never suggest discarding the "old" style, that was pretty awesome as well! I especially liked the vocals, there was something odd yet appealing.

Had no idea you had your own forum here on UM, you definitely need some more coverage.

No, I got that you liked the album, you just seemed like you'd prefer a faster pace. Anyway, thanks!

I know we need more coverage, we are working on getting shows out of our area and just plain getting the word out.

Also we have a show that we did for PBS that broadcasts nationally in the United States. So that should help a lot. If you want, you can get the details on our forum. This is the Theocracy forum, so threads should probably stay somewhat related to the band :)

Surprised nobody has mentioned Times of Grace.

They only have one album, as it is a side project of both members, but it is phenomenal IMHO.

Also Leveler by August Burns Red. Great album.

Thanks for all the other suggestions, I am going to have a spotify fest tomorrow.

Shadow Gallery christian???

I am going to have to delve in deeper to their stuff, maybe give me another reason to go to Progpower next year.

I've never seen anything concrete, as in from the band themselves, but from what I gather they are not a "Christian band." At least some of the members of the band are Christian, their music deals sometimes with Christian themes, and I have seen them described as "Christian-friendly." I haven't heard their entire catalog, but what I have heard I would have no problem recommending to a fellow believer.

Awesome! Thanks man.

That Andy! I absolutely love that guy. He's passionate about everything.

Matt and Andrew are the two most passionate fans of both music and food that I know! Needless to say they both rule. Where I can tell you what kind of hot sauce I like best, Andrew can list a bunch of them and explain the best specific applications for each. And he has spread our music probably even more effectively than we have. Thanks, Andrew!

http://sacrificium.bandcamp.com/

You be the judge :D , main focal points:
Towards the Edge..., Tremendum, As Silence Dies.

This band was solid. Nothing really stuck from the first listen, but there is definitely some strong death metal coming from these guys.

Also, has anyone on here ever checked out Horde’s one and only album “Hellig Usvart”? Their considered the first “Unblack Metal” band ever, so it hold some significance just for that. I’ve only heard clips from the album, but nothing really concrete.

Any opinions?

I've never seen anything concrete, as in from the band themselves, but from what I gather they are not a "Christian band." At least some of the members of the band are Christian, their music deals sometimes with Christian themes, and I have seen them described as "Christian-friendly." I haven't heard their entire catalog, but what I have heard I would have no problem recommending to a fellow believer.

I own all their albums and would essentially agree with the above. I have never considered them "Christian metal" myself, but it seems that at least some of the members are Christian. Saying their lyrics are "Christian-friendly" is a good way to put it. "Tyranny" remains my favorite album of theirs. It's a great concept album and features guest appearances by James LaBrie and DC Cooper (2 of my favorite vocalists).

has anyone on here ever checked out Horde’s one and only album “Hellig Usvart”?

Hellig Usvart was advertised in a Mortification cd liner as "Utterly shrill brain churning noise" which was reason enough for me to purchase it years ago.

It's not bad, if you like that kind of noise, but I was quite disappointed by the drumming on most tracks. Really ironic, as it turns out that the whole album was a solo project of Jayson Sherlock - the greatest drummer I ever heard and saw live a few times when he worked with Mortification (hence the promotion).

I still have the cd here somewhere, but could live quite happily without it. If you want to trade with a guy in Australia, give me a p.m.

I am going to have to delve in deeper to their stuff, maybe give me another reason to go to Progpower next year.

Yeah, that surprised me, too. Can someone knowledgeable speak to that?

I do some occasional promotional work for Shadow Gallery and as such have spoken with all band members in person. Does that make me knowledgeable? You decide ;).

Here's the Progpower promo I did for them:​

Most of the conversation has been with Carl Cadden-James (the main lyricist and the "mastermind" behind the whole Shadow Gallery concept), Gary Wehrkamp (a multi-instrumental genius) and Brendt Allman (main guitar player and together with Gary responsible for the music itself). I know many artists like the music to speak for itself, without people or the press sticking a label on them. Shadow Gallery is such a band and likes each of its listeners to make up their own mind about what they are saying. Having said that, I do want to try to give some insight, since there seems to be some confusion about the band around here.

I know where these guys stand spiritually and this very much is reflected in their songs. It may not be as "in the open" as say a band like Stryper (although, the song "Venom" (about spiritual warfare) from their latest album is pretty straight forward: "The end of days you're all alone, when Jesus mighty from his throne drowns you in Venom"), but it actually is the underlying theme for most anything they've written.

Take their best known song "Crystalline Dream" from 1995's "Carved In Stone" for instance. Besides having a very positive vibe, it deals with Jesus gathering together his Bride from the earth and taking those whose names are written in the Lamb's Book of Life to the magnificent place He prepared for us: "No time or space here, I walk in castles of gold, our love turns into a crystalline dream." It contains lots of other prophetic imagery: "rumors of wars rage in your heart now", "carved in the great Book of Life", "I speak with my mind". The refrain expresses the greatest yearning of all: "Come down with fire, I want to love You want to take You into my heart. We'll cruise the starways and from the moment that we touch our love turns into a crystalline dream.

Here's the video I made for this song:​

The next song on the album "Don't every cry, just remember" describes the fall of Mystery Babylon, the sudden destruction, and again, the taking away of the Church as depicted in the book of Revelation: "In one great moment judgements fallen. Babylon no longer there. Gone are her streets and giant towers, disappeared into thin air.", "From the moment I was raptured, Babylon had disappeared. I now return here a survivor. The rest have vanished to thin air." And:
"I know there's just one way
And this is how it has to be
There was poison in our thoughts
And there was hatred in our eyes
Suddenly something came
Something made it right
We purged our hearts and souls
And we saw through children's eyes
Not stifled by the pain
Not blinded by our
Human nature don't you see at all
The wisdom of our suffering
The lies behind our ways
The reasons for the end
"

"So through eternity
The gift of light gets passed along
to those of us who saw
What the rest could never see
Born to a fallen world
Longing for a morning star
Held on high
For me
"

The song "I believe" (with James LaBrie) from their magnificent 1998 concept album "Tyranny" clearly states what it is they believe:
"Long ago a living story
Walked the whole world prophesying
Told of days when the hand of God
Pulls away from the world
All hell starts breaking out
I see it clear
It pounds the cold into your life
It turns to gray what's black and white
"

"The time for final judgement's close at hand
Four horsemen mount on high
"

The closing songs on that album speak of our Redeemer ("the gift of Hope on Christmas Day.") and our Comforter ("Despite this nasty world I roam, imagine going home. Ghost of a Chance."

The album "Legacy" closes with a 35(!) minute epic track describing a man's journey from this world to the next:
"I left a dying world behind
On my way only
God can stop the spiral down to hell
The future of our race
I left a poisoned world behind
Now I see only
Heaven's the oasis in the sky
It's my dream
"

2005's "Room V" is the sequel to "Tyranny" and closes with the song "Rain", a plea for protection and covering by the Holy Spirit to withstand an ever growing evil threat:
"Over and over I am witness to the signs
Evil’s more focused as we near the end of times
Praying so hard that your shelter comes to
cover me
What kind of world is this that
It should come down to this oh
Each day the pressure building
In Biblical proportion
I’ve seen extremes from love and war
They both are walking here
And echoing prophetic song
"

"Hold to what’s real
Your shelter comes to rain on me
"

So, do I think Shadow Gallery is a "Christian band"? No, I know they are. Not in the stereotypical, pushing-down-your-throat kind of way, but on a more sophisticated or subtle level they show where they stand. I think the lyrics quoted here speak for themselves.

For me, this band has been the single greatest musical discovery of the last 15 years. There's a certain richness and quality to their music and lyrics not easily found elsewhere nowadays, not to speak of their songwriting skills, impeccable vocal harmonies and instrumental prowess. I guess working in the music industry for a living does pay off:
-Carl's a highly acclaimed audio mixing engineer and co-founded the "Star One" recording studios in Bethlehem, PA. (Btw, did you know one of his clients Will Smith, Sr. makes a cameo in their video for "Gold Dust"?)
-Gary also has his own recording and music teaching studio "New Horizon Music" in Stroudsburg, PA.
-Drummer Joe Nevolo has his own music school as well: "Big Beat Studio" in Neptune City, NJ.
-Singer Brian Ashland also earns a living in the music industry.

The official video with Will Smith's dad:​

My take on the same song:​

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, Sleeper- Son of the Morning and Children of Fire.

Those are two of my favorite records, and I do not really like that style of music. The songs are extremely well put together, in my opinion.

I also love Becoming the Archetype- Dichotomy

Good thread

I agree with the albums you just said (they were in my post) and you have an avatar of one of the best secular metal albums of all time (in my opinion). I approve, new guy, I approve.

I agree with the albums you just said (they were in my post) and you have an avatar of one of the best secular metal albums of all time (in my opinion). I approve, new guy, I approve.

Thank you, much appreciated. Death is one my favorite bands, Chuck was a brilliant artist (R.I.P.).

Oh, Sleeper is phenomenal. Micah is an incredible vocalist, and writes some amazing, passionate lyrics. I could listen to them all day, every day. Not to mention they represent Christ in a metal world all too full of "evil just to be evil" bands that have little passion at all.