BEST ENDINGS

Annihilat0r

TRINITY WATCH IN AMAZING!
Jan 14, 2007
South of Heaven
stole the idea from somebody in the bleak ending thread.

keywords: Opeth, song, ending, best, worst

Best ending has to be The Drapery Falls, it's just epic.

Worst is probably Burden, it's a creative trick but drags for too long.

Actually, this thread was made some years ago: Song endings.

Wreath and Deliverance have my favorite endings but right now, I also love the one of Master's Apprentices. The way the song comes out of the soft acoustic section and kicks into the amazing drumming by Lopez that then fades always gets me and reminds me a bit of the ending of Finally Free by Dream Theater (done much better).

As to the worse, I have to agree with Burden. The song should end at around the 5 minute mark.

An ending that annoys me because it basically ruins an amazing song and taints a perfect album is the one of A Fair Judgment. I have tried to like it but I just can't get over it.

best: deliverance - no explanation needed
worst: closure - the sudden ending ruins the otherwise sick outro (live version ftw)

Epic / Traditionnal

April Ethereal
The Night and the Silent Water
Demon of the Fall

Advent
Credence
Moonlapse Vertigo

Face of Melinda
Serenity Painted Death
White Cluster
The Drapery Falls
Dirge for November
The Funeral Portrait
Blackwater Park
Deliverance

Master's Apprentices
Closure

Ghost of Perdition
Beneath the Mire
Harlequin Forest

Heir Apparent
Burden
Hex Omega

Favorite : White Cluster (right now)
Worst : Hessian Peel

Not a fan of the 'secret' ending on 'By The Pain I See In Others'. Best ending...hmm... At the moment I'm thinking 'Face Of Melinda' when the distorted guitars kick and there is that big guitar melody.

I think I read in the Opeth web site that it was just an accident, that when they were listening to the final mixes it was in there but it was too late to do something about it, something like that, and I don't count it as an outro either, I never hear it anyway, I don't like waiting half an hour to hear an outro :lol: