Best ever thrash album?

Best thrash album ever?

• Metallica - Master Of Puppets (or RTL/AJFA)

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Slayer - Reign In Blood (or SoH/HA/SitA)

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Anthrax - Among The Living (or SoE/PoT)

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Megadeth - Rust In Peace (or KimB/PSBWB)

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Sepultura - Beneath The Remains (or Arise)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
You seem to be endearingly oblivious to the fact Slayer's "evil, don't give a fuck" attitude is just as calculated a marketing ploy as anything the rest of the Big 4 ever did.
At least when Quorthon realised writing Satanic lyrics was silly (from his own personal philosophical standpoint) he started writing about things that really did mean something to him.
Slayer still churn out the "evil" "satanic" "anti-christian" shit even though we all know Tom Araya doesn't buy into it at all. Now tell me being dark and satanic to sell records isn't being commercial.

If you're going to sing about satanic themes, at least believe in them.

Slayer doesn't sing much about satan. Sure back on the first few albums there were some songs dealing with that. Their evil is society and things dealing with social issues in the world. They don't claim to be satanists they just write about the evils of the world.

Take the lyrics away. Their music and attitude is what extreme metal is all about. They really don't give a fuck about anything other than being as extreme as possible and taking thrash metal to another level. They do that with one of the best drummers in the world. They back up every thing they do because their music does the talking. If you are going to try and use an angle for marketing purposes I'd say that singing about atrocities of war, corruption, and religion isn't going to get you on the radio, mtv or any mainstream tv show anytime soon.

Slayer has never let up. A lot of people don't listen to the newer records. I personally do and find a lot of quality material on the newer albums. They just keep churning out brutal thrash metal albums ones after another and that is more that you can say about any of the other big 4 bands. Anthrax hasn't done a Thrash album since POT and even that wasn't pure thrash. Megadeth just put a few decent ones out. Metallica well if you call Death Magnetic Thrash then fine. But other than that it's been since 1988 with AJFA.

So Slayer is the only band that really has always been doing thrash metal and destroys all of the other 3 bands live.

destroys all of the other 3 bands live.

I wouldn't say so at all. If you've seen Slayer once, you've seen all they have to offer. Slayer live is a force to be reckoned with, but they don't really put on a show, and that in a way makes it boring.

My point is, if you're looking to just listen the music and mosh away, the Slayer is your show. If you wan't to see a show, go see Anthrax.

Rust In Peace for me, Among The Living being second. Then Slayer.

A challenger appears!

syl+city.jpg

YES!

Slayer doesn't sing much about satan. Sure back on the first few albums there were some songs dealing with that. Their evil is society and things dealing with social issues in the world. They don't claim to be satanists they just write about the evils of the world.

Take the lyrics away. Their music and attitude is what extreme metal is all about. They really don't give a fuck about anything other than being as extreme as possible and taking thrash metal to another level. They do that with one of the best drummers in the world. They back up every thing they do because their music does the talking. If you are going to try and use an angle for marketing purposes I'd say that singing about atrocities of war, corruption, and religion isn't going to get you on the radio, mtv or any mainstream tv show anytime soon.

Slayer has never let up. A lot of people don't listen to the newer records. I personally do and find a lot of quality material on the newer albums. They just keep churning out brutal thrash metal albums ones after another and that is more that you can say about any of the other big 4 bands. Anthrax hasn't done a Thrash album since POT and even that wasn't pure thrash. Megadeth just put a few decent ones out. Metallica well if you call Death Magnetic Thrash then fine. But other than that it's been since 1988 with AJFA.

So Slayer is the only band that really has always been doing thrash metal and destroys all of the other 3 bands live.

Hey, I like Slayer, I actually even really like Diabolus In Musica and God Hates Us All.
I just don't think the fact a band stays really heavy all the time makes them any more "worthy" or better than another band. That all comes down to SONGS.
For me, none of the big 4 have really had amazing songs for quite a few years now. Including Slayer.

Oh, on the lyrics - they may not write "satanic" lyrics any more, but calling an album Christ Illusion is clearly an attempt to attract the darker metal fans, right? The fact they don't even bother to pretend they're satanists any more just makes it worse!
KK -"Hey Jeff, let's just write songs about war and murder and shit like that. Fuck this satanic bullshit."
JH - "I agree Kerry, fuck that childish stuff."
KK - "Let's call the album Christ Illusion though, so those stupid kids think we're still really satanists and they'll buy our album. Remember when Chuck Schuldiner stopped putting an inverted cross on his band's logo? We don't want to lose any sales."
JH - "Excellent idea Kerry, pass me another doughnut!"
KK - "Calm down there Jeff, you're worse than Malmsteen now!"

I agree that when you've seen Slayer once you know it all. Anyway, going to see them in April in Prague, for the fifth time.

i don't think so. Slayer has a great live-sound but they just stand around on stage while in Anthrax Scott & Frankie are jumping around like wild monkeys, Anthrax is my fav. live-band!

So does Fred Durst and the guys in Limp Bizkit. They jump around all show long. But that doesn't mean anything.

Iron Maiden put on the best live show I have ever seen, actually not even close.

But for extreme thrash metal I have never seen a more intense live show than Slayer shows. That is just not how they act on stage, it is the over all vibe and how the fans react etc.

Not saying Anthrax doesn't put on a great show. Seen them about 10 times. But it's nothing that blew me away in the sense that it was life changing. Though the reunion tour was pretty bad ass, the one in LA with Jason Bitner on drums. Biggest pit I have ever seen during Indians

Saw maiden at Ozzfest 2005, where the egg incident happend. Was a once in a lifetime event cause something like that probably wont ever happen again.

Yep I was there in the pit. Saw a few of the osbourne clan down there throwing the eggs. It was insane. At the time they were throwing the eggs nobody really knew what was going on. It wasn't just eggs either. They were throwing full beers, soda, and what ever else they had in their hands.

Looking back on it I wish i knew what was going on I would have fucked up some of those people i saw doing it. Even though most I saw were chicks, I would have no problem beating down any of the chicks that were doing that :devil: ... That lesbian chick from Otep was one of them. And of course that fuck pile of dog shit Kelly Osbourne

I remember when the show was over heading to restroom that was full of maiden fans chanting "FUCK THAT CUNT!!". I will never forget that.

Sharon: "Brue Dickenson is a prick!"

Crowd: "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!"

back to topic: this shouldn't be forgotten when it comes to great Thrash:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMCszoP0kVM&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember when the show was over heading to restroom that was full of maiden fans chanting "FUCK THAT CUNT!!". I will never forget that.

Sharon: "Brue Dickenson is a prick!"

Crowd: "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!"

HAHA yep I remember that too. We didn't even stay to watch Sabbath we were so pissed off. I am surprised that bitch didn't get assasinated on stage when that happened. She came out sand said "Bruce Dickinson is a Prick" and she thought the crowd would cheer her. But the entire crowd started booing her. That was glorious. It was really amazing how Maiden overcame all of the egg throwing, power outages, and everything else and made that into being one of the best Maiden performances of the entire tour. Bruce knew what was going on and out smarted that cunt and turned it all against her. Was awesome. I will never forget that night

One of my personal favorite thrash albums of all time is from The Crucified. Both their S/T album and "The Pillars of Humanity" are brilliant. They are a Christian band. Phil Anselmo wore one of their shirts in the Mouth For War video.

Lets not forget about Exhorder either:

And the almighty Testament

Last edited by a moderator: