Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Rich Wakeman (Yes)

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Patrick Moraz (Yes)

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Vitalij Kuprij

Votes: 6 8.3%

• Total voters
I think Vitalij wins chops wise.....he can shred anyone....especially on piano.

If you don't know who he is check out his solo album featuring Greg Howe ":High Definition"
or the new Ring of Fire CD "Dreamtower"
or Artension "Phoenix Rising"

but my favorite is probably still Kevin Moore.

Ruddess has chops....but I hate his sounds and style...they bore me to death.

Originally posted by Ultimate_Symphony
i love pinnellas and jens style but i gotta go with jordan oh and btw who is this vitalij guy? all help apreciated :D

Vitalij Kuprij is an amazing pianist/keyboardist. Some people marvel at his piano playing but dislike his synth playing....It could partly due to his main lead synth patch tone. I don't know if you get around that...His chops are incredible....But aside that, I have to vote for Jordan Rudess as my favourite....B/c all these guys are so talented we can't decide who is the best!! HAHA

Originally posted by Harp Heaven
Richard West of Threshold is one of the most unknown and underrated keyboardist in progressive metal today. He combines stellar technique, excellent song-writing and tastefulness. The more I listen to his work, the more I understand his genius as a musician.

Agreed 150%!! :) In this poll, I voted for Jordan, and I think I'd still have to if Richard West was included. I've heard so much of Jordan's work and he blows my mind every time. But Richard West is easy to over look at first - the very first time I heard Threshold I thought they were more focused on the guitars, but with each listen I grew to appreciate the keys more and more. And I still discover things in the music. He's amazing and perfect for Threshold. He seems to find the perfect sounds every single time and whatever he plays always compliments the music.

Apparently ill be the only one on this thread voting for wakeman. He doesnt really showboat like most of the other keyboardists mentioned on this thread...but what he contributed to Yes, his solo albums and other various compositions have moved me much more than any metal keyboardist.

and i also think Janne Wirman of Children Of Bodom should at least be an honorable mention on here as well.

Richard West of Threshold really is an amazing talent. Also, he is a great songwriter. I like his songs the most from "Critical Mass".

Originally posted by stringskipping
Kuprij is sloppy on synths but good on weight piano keys playing classical pieces. But his rock solos are very unimaginative with little (if any at all) in the way of phrasing, syncopation, intervallic variation or deviation from the major or minor scales. Take away the speed and you get something quite rudimentary musically to my ears.

I agree. Most of the time, I don't like the phrasing he uses in his solos, and basically everything else you mentioned. He should plan his synth solos out better, and start getting some better patches.

I've also seen jazz pianists that are equally as good as Pinella, Moore, Sherinian, Rudess, or any of the people mentioned, so really you'll be hardpressed to find the best keyboardist ever.

Stian Aarstad: The king of cheese. I mean, VIBE solos in Dimmu Borgir?!?!? :rolleyes:
Vitalij Kuprij: Empty virtuosity, except for his first solo album, which I like very much. His technique has gotten poorer and poorer over the years, leaving nothing for the listener.
Jordan Rudess: Fantastic technique and flawless playing, but suffers from an overall lack of emotion and unimaginative phrasing, as well as some of the cheesiest sounds on earth. I also HATE Dream Theater for thinking that they can make good songs out of his improvisations, ala 6DOIT(the song).
Lee Liberace: No comment :D
Sverd: Very cool playing. Definitely deserves to be on the list.
Alex Staropoli: Gotta love his playing!!! He is indeed the perfect keyboardist for Rhapsodys over-the-top cheese metal. I love his solos, as they are very arranged and have a melodic idea, as opposed to Jordan Rudess` solos.

Originally posted by Lady Of The Snow
Here's another ivory-plonkerer:
Richard Andersson (ex-Majestic), labeled to be in the same league as Jordan Rudess...

Shit, I heard this guy a couple of days ago and he's damn good :headbang: he has a project called ''Time Requiem'' with Darkane's drummer Peter Wildoer, kick ass stuff :headbang: a little over the top sometimes, but I really like his ideas.