Best Movie You've Seen This Year? Most Anticipated?

Blade II without a doubt. It was also the most anticipated movie for me before I saw it; I also bought the import-special edition DVD as soon as I saw it in the store. But it was because I've been dreaming of a sequel ever since I saw the first movie, which I loved :p

Most anticipated at the moment is Two Towers for me aswell, got tickets for opening day and everything.

Originally posted by Sonnenritter
Best movie I've seen this year.. I'll definately have to go with A Beautiful Mind. Not only because it's about a fellow West Virginian, but for the simple fact that Russell Crowe delivers his best performance ever (with the exception of Romper Stomper).

Let's not forget his performances in The Sum Of Us and The Insider...and yet he wins the Oscar for his performance in Gladiator...lol...not that there was anything wrong with it of course, but his acting chops are far better displayed in these other movies.

Originally posted by SculptedCold
Oh yeah man I forgot, Minority Report is a beautifully crafted movie. It's just so polished and intriguing and evocative and complex and imaginative and just damn cool.

In a fairly ordinary year (so far) for movies, Minority Report was a breath of fresh air.

Originally posted by rustymetal
Spiderman was crap.

Most anticipated = The Two Towers.

HAHAHA, NO it wasn't! Well, not compared to previous cartoon super-hero movies anywayz!!

The Two Towers should save the year, fer sure.

I'd have to go with either "Road to Perdition" or "Brotherhood of the Wolf." This year has to reign supreme as the year of the mediocre film with intense hype. Films like "Spider-Man" and "Star Wars II" had their moments yet I felt while not let down, just not blown away like I'd have hoped.

It's already been released but I'd like to see the German film "Das Experiment," a film that looks to be heavily based on the real-life Stanford prison experiment.

I haven't seem "We were soldiers", but a guy I know said that he turned it off after an hour, as it was so crappy! He said that it was really, really, really American! I think "Black hawk down" was really American and so did he, but he said that this was even more American! He said it started out with "They were soldiers. American soldiers" and then it all went off with all this heroic shit all the way, until he turned it off, 'cause he couldn't bear watching anymore of that crap!

No offense to those that did like it but "We Were Soldiers" was definitely Major Crapola. I don't think I've liked Mel Gibson since "The Road Warrior."

"Punch Drunk Love" suprised the hell out of me. I usually cannot stand Adam Sandler but damn it all to hell, I was impressed by him in this film. Maybe because he didn't use that childish "gaga googoo" voice of his. Could have used more Phillip Seymour Hoffman but the film was still very good.

Originally posted by Sonnenritter
Best movie I've seen this year.. I'll definately have to go with A Beautiful Mind. Not only because it's about a fellow West Virginian, but for the simple fact that Russell Crowe delivers his best performance ever (with the exception of Romper Stomper).
It was a good movie, but there is no way that it should have beat Fellowship of the Ring for best picture.

As for Attack of the Clones, I thought that movie was a major disappointment. Lucas should stop living in the digital world and realize we need to see characters that we'll actually care about. Honestly, If episodes 1 and 2 really had been the first in the series, the series never would have made it to episodes 4, 5, and 6. I'll still go see Episode 3, but it will be more out of a feeling of obligation that I've made it this far, rather than the anticipation I had for the other movies.

I saw "Lord of the rings" yesterday and I must admit that I wasn't impressed. I think it was a little boring. The only thing that I think was exciting was when that guy who previously have had the ring tried to take it from Frodo and he got monsterish. I didn't find the battle scenes or any of the other scenes particularly exciting. Besides that I think some of the scenes were way too heroic to be believable. When that Boromir got shot by an arrow he was of course so strong and heroic that he could fight on. Fair enough, he might be able to do that in real life, but when he gets shot the second time it starts to get a little exaggerated and it when he gets shot the third time I just thought to myself "Yeah, right!". When that Sam guy or whoever it was was drowning Frodo of course rescues him and it was really easy to figure out. It just seemed gross to me. When Frodo gets stabbed by that giant monster and he lived it was also too unbelievable IMO!
Halfway through the film I really felt like getting up and stretching my legs, 'cause nothing interesting had happened and it continued that way through the entire picture. I prefer films where they just build & build until a big climax comes (and not a gross heroic one preferably), but I think this movie had a monotonus line all the way. Nothing that captured me. I was aware that the ending was as sudden as it was, so that didn't drag it down in my book, although I hate it when an ending sucks, ruining the entire film!
Enough about that, I listed "Talk to her" as one of the movies that I was looking forward to and I was at the movies seeing it today. It was alright, but not as good as I had hoped it to be. My expectations where pretty high and although it was a bit sad it didn't reach the emotional climax for me that I had hoped it do to, making it a superb movie. I had previously seen "Live flesh" also by Pedro Almodovar and that was a cool movie and a little better than this. There are a lot of people who really like this movie, as it has an average of 8.0 at imdb.com (and "Lord of the rings" is even #6 at the top 250!), but for me it didn't reach the emotional movies I've seen: Breaking the waves, Schindler's list, The green mile, Awakenings & Crouching tiger, Hidden Dragon.
But anyway, I'm still looking forward to "Road to Perdition". I had planned to go see it in the theater yesterday, but found out that thursday was the last day it got showed, so I'll have to see it on video now! What a bummer!

Board: Have you read the book(s) I think you would find it alot more interessting if you had...
Most of the things you find weird and exaggerated are explained quite well in the book(s).

The scene with Boromir might be a bit exaggerated, but it still looks fucking great.
I like the heroic stuff in the movie, to me it looks really powerful when Boromir is hit by the arrows and keep on fighting to the death.
Though in the book he was not defeated by one Uruk-hai, but about 20-25 of them standing around him fireing.
After killig 20 of the Uruk-Hais he dies...

I haven't read the book. I've never really considered it and after I saw the movie it certainly didn't encourage me to do so!
I don't think the scene with Boromir looks fucking great. I just think it looks stupid! Yeah, he dies in the end, but he defeats so many monsters on the way that it just seemed to unbelievable and gross to me! They are about 8 people and they kill 3 million monsters or something (yeah, I know I'M exaggerating now).
I know it's a fantasy world and so on and Frodo's cape might be magic and all that shit, but I just found the movie hard to believe and thus making a pretty boring movie for me.
It's the same with any of Steven Seagal's movies. One guy beats down a bar full of people. Yeah, right, like that's gonna happen!

Amelie ( beatiful movie, i love it! )
Red Dragon ( Fiennes and Norton stands for the whole movie)
Road to Perdition ( nice plot)

can wait to see Two Towers and X Men 2