Best reason to post again: new Agalloch DVD is out

yeah, but i seem to recall you having the (laudable) attitude in the past that "once it's out of print, it's out of print", saying that there was no need to repress "of stone, wind and pillor" for instance -- although i understand that it is difficult to justify a position like that in the days of ebay.

personally, i don't mind REISSUES that are actually just REISSUES of the same material, but for someone like me who really likes the band and already owns all the original vinyl and cd releases, it kind of sucks when something new comes out for 130 euros and has extra stuff that i kind of want, but that i can not justify spending that much money on when i already own 90% of the music. i guess i could sell my original presses and buy the reissues instead, but this is where i'm a bit of a slave to materialism: i do like owning them first presses of things :mad:

I'm not sure I understand what are you complaining about. If you're a collector then indeed it's a bit frustrating to have to buy something for 130 Euro for your collection, especially something that you already have in other edition. However, it doesn't look like you're a collector, so you really don't have to buy this box. I'm sure rip will appear on the web almost instantaneously, and, since the band gets nothing from this release, you can download the stuff you don't have with clear conscience.
I also don't understand your complaints towards the band - John clearly stated that they had no influence over the decision of making this box and will get nothing from it, so your complaints should be directed to Viva Hate and, even more so, The End, who will undoubtedly continue to milk Agalloch's brand in the future making more "releases".

It is not that we are getting "nothing" from this. It is pretty cool to have all of our records in a wood box with different artwork courtesy of a good friend of ours, a book of Veleda's photos with all the lyrics, etc.

I agree that our normal LPs should still be in print. The demand is ridiculous. But it is really up to TER and if they don't see the point of keeping expensive media in print by a band who left them 2 years ago...what more can I say about it?

I will need to make a trip to NYC this August to take care of some design/pre-press business and while there I'd like to pay TER a visit. A friendly visit for old times sake. Perhaps we can figure out a solution to this...maybe a print run of a few thousand copies of each album on black vinyl, same packaging, at a fair price. We have more fans now who would like to have the older work on LP without paying $250 each, etc.

I don't know, we'll see. I would like to see this happen at least.

JH

I'm not sure I understand what are you complaining about. If you're a collector then indeed it's a bit frustrating to have to buy something for 130 Euro for your collection, especially something that you already have in other edition. However, it doesn't look like you're a collector, so you really don't have to buy this box.
no, look, i'm not going to collect stuff for just stuff's sake, but i am a "collector" in the sense that i want to own all the band's MUSIC. i no longer care if i have every wooden box and every reissue (i used too, though.) is that any clearer?

no, look, i'm not going to collect stuff for just stuff's sake, but i am a "collector" in the sense that i want to own all the band's MUSIC. i no longer care if i have every wooden box and every reissue (i used too, though.) is that any clearer?

It doesn't seem like you are a collector, so you don't have to buy this box. If you were a collector, you would have to.

It doesn't seem like you are a collector, so you don't have to buy this box. If you were a collector, you would have to.

i don't know how i can possibly spell this out in bigger letters for y'all

i am a collector of music, and this box contains music i do not have. therefore i "have" to buy it. therefore i have to spend 130 euros for a couple of songs. do you now understand my conundrum or am i still using VERY DIFFICULT LANGUAGE

i am a collector of music, and this box contains music i do not have. therefore i "have" to buy it. therefore i have to spend 130 euros for a couple of songs. do you now understand my conundrum or am i still using VERY DIFFICULT LANGUAGE
OK but if you aren't a collector you don't have to buy it. Collectors have to buy this. My grandmother collect news articles and stuff that concern family members, I could probably swipe this from her once she's bought it because I don't think she really likes Agalloch that much. A collector is a collector, though.

OK but if you aren't a collector you don't have to buy it. Collectors have to buy this. My grandmother collect news articles and stuff that concern family members, I could probably swipe this from her once she's bought it because I don't think she really likes Agalloch that much. A collector is a collector, though.

ok so basically, me 1 you 0

If music is all that's important to you, you can download the rip of the live LP, that will, undoubtedly appear few days after the release and be happy with it. I still don't understand why would a person who cares only about music spend 130 Euro to get it in the most expensive format possible.

Anyway, I think John is right - for someone who loves the band but missed the chance to buy all releases on vinyl for a reasonable price, this is a good opportunity to own all of them relatively cheap. Buying this is actually harder for real collectors, since they already have those releases on original vinyl, but "have" to buy this box to add it to their collection.

What is Mike's family up to that his grandmother can actually make a habit out of collecting news stories about them?

I'm really looking forward to the upcoming box. I mean, not only do we finally get a re-issue of "Of Stone, Wind and Pillor" but its on vinyl with live stuff included. Also, having Fursy do the artwork was a great choice, his cover art for the new Alcest album is beautiful. I just hope everything goes smoothly with the release....

If music is all that's important to you, you can download the rip of the live LP, that will, undoubtedly appear few days after the release and be happy with it. I still don't understand why would a person who cares only about music spend 130 Euro to get it in the most expensive format possible.
maybe you don't understand that i own agalloch's original demo tape, pale folklore on original cd, pale folklore on limited to 60 copies worldwide wooden box lp, of stone wind and pillor on original cd, the mantle on original cd, the mantle on original lp, tomorrow will never come 7", the grey ep, ashes against the grain on promo cd, wooden box cd, and original lp, the white ep, the demonstration archives, the agalloch/nest split, and an original tortex pick (green, 0.88) that haughm once used*, as well as around five t-shirts and longsleeves, and that i went to denmark (long fucking trip.) for the SOLE PURPOSE of seeing agalloch

maybe you don't understand this, that in fact i have been collecting and caring about this band beyond the music

* this is nerdy as hell and i don't usually do stuff like this but someone gave it to me so i'm keeping it

What is Mike's family up to that his grandmother can actually make a habit out of collecting news stories about them?

I actually lied a bit (gramma doesn't collect anything at all but I for one save every mention I find of myself or others I know in newspapers just because I'm like an old lady in some aspects) just to make fun of the obsessive-compulsive Collectors we seem to have lying around, but it does happen!

http://www.vk.se/Article.jsp?article=341929&category=380

With your permission, I'll not start naming all Agalloch items that I own, I'll just put one picture instead:

28936_389300767849_811337849_3739966_2277130_n.jpg

As you can see, I understand you perfectly well. So, you are a collector, just not the "completist" type. While I am, as a completist, have to buy this box to maintain my collection, I think you can safely skip it and wait for some other form of media with the same material, as, obviously, your goal is not to have all limited editions but to have all the music, preferably on original pressings.

Have you ever had your head examined?
Not that there's anything wrong with collecting Agalloch stuff, but your attitude towards it is a bit scary.

Have you ever had your head examined?
Not that there's anything wrong with collecting Agalloch stuff, but your attitude towards it is a bit scary.

Why is that, Mike? What's wrong with having an almost complete Agalloch collection? I know people that collect Slayer or Mercyful Fate and have huge collections of 100s of items and THEIR collections DO look scary. Do you think Agalloch does not deserve to have someone collecting their stuff with the same dedication as others are collecting Metallica or Slayer?

Why is that, Mike? What's wrong with having an almost complete Agalloch collection? I know people that collect Slayer or Mercyful Fate and have huge collections of 100s of items and THEIR collections DO look scary. Do you think Agalloch does not deserve to have someone collecting their stuff with the same dedication as others are collecting Metallica or Slayer?

More along the lines that no one deserves to have someone collecting their stuff with that level of dedication. You are absolutely losing sight of the entire point - the music, and filling it with an obsession to collect.

More along the lines that no one deserves to have someone collecting their stuff with that level of dedication. You are absolutely losing sight of the entire point - the music, and filling it with an obsession to collect.

I don't agree. I have been a fan of Agalloch for more than 10 years and their music helped me through rough times and brought me enjoyment in good times. I collect their stuff because I love their music, not because it is profitable or prestigious. I also collect stuff of a band called Mindrot, which is largely unknown and very underrated, with their rarest items going for less than 20$ on Ebay. Why do I do that? Because I love their music.

For me collecting Agalloch's stuff is a way of showing my appreciation to what they do.

Do you think Agalloch does not deserve to have someone collecting their stuff with the same dedication as others are collecting Metallica or Slayer?
That's not even close to what I said, but you're not likely to get it so I won't bother explaining.
For the record: I quite like Agalloch, but I'm no rabid fan.

That's not even close to what I said, but you're not likely to get it so I won't bother explaining.
For the record: I quite like Agalloch, but I'm no rabid fan.

Of course it's not what you said. I was just trying to say that there are people with huge collections of Metallica and Slayer stuff and, I'm sure, nobody even thinks of asking if they had their head examined. I, maybe wrongly, got a feeling that your response was based on the fact that I'm collecting Agalloch and not some other well known band. Had I posted a picture of a huge Slayer collection, I'm quite sure the response would be different.