Best sounding home recorded albums ?

korpse pop

Horde of Undead Vengeance
Jun 22, 2005
Do you happen to know some really good sounding albums that have been recorded and mixed in home studio enviroment? f.ex. albums with drum tracks recorded in real studio and rest of the tracks recorded in some bandmember's home or rehearsal place. I'd be curious to hear them. All that comes to my mind right now is Necrophagist's first album, but that has programmed drums, so I quess it won't qualify.
And if you know any and know which equipment was used, let me know.

Well, this is not an album(it's a single), but check this out:

DSF ( thrash)
2 mp3: http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=44360

I think the quality of the recording is a fucking killer for a home recorded stuff!

The recording space was a small cellar.

Here's a list of equipment used:

BD: Sennheiser E602/DDrum trigger
Snare top: Shure SM57/DDrum trigger
Snare bottom: EV Co4
Toms: Sennheiser BF504
Overheads: Röde NT5

These were plugged into Soundtracs Topaz Macro (RME AEB8-I converter) or Behringer ADA8000. Bassdrum and snare were mixed with samples.

Bass cabinet (Hartke 4 x 10") was recorded with E602 to DBX Mini Pre. Santeri (producer/engineer) also recorded the DI output of the amp (Hartke 7000). Guitars were recorded clean through DI Box. It's all Guitarsuite VST here! Clean guitars were reamped through V-Amp. For vocals we used Röde NT1000 and DBX Mini Pre.

enjoy :cool:

The upcomming Decadawn album is probably one of the best home-productions I've heard. Although drums and vox are done in decent studio...some people who hang in here for at least 1 year and half, might have heard their samples already.

Also,

the mp3s of SinDRomE (Garm's project with some portuguese guys)
http://www.spiralsektor.com

I don't know if it counts, but King diamond recorded an album in his livingroom i think it was the puppetmaster,i'm not saying that the sound is killer or anything,but it sounds just as good as House of god and Abigail part 2

Fredrik Thordendal's (of Meshuggah) Special Defects - Sol Niger Within

-We recorded the drums in Morgan's brother Jimmy's garage, we went to the citychurch of Umeå to record the churchorgan and I recorded the guitars in my apartment. The only studiorecording on the album is a friend who's screaming like hell on a seperate track.

Sounds great. And some of the best drumming you'll hear.

metalizer said:
I don't know if it counts, but King diamond recorded an album in his livingroom i think it was the puppetmaster,i'm not saying that the sound is killer or anything,but it sounds just as good as House of god and Abigail part 2

IMO those three albums sound nearly identical :D
I suppose guitars are POD, so that wouldn't make any difference from a "real" studio to home studio. Drums seem triggered, so that shouldn't be a barrier as well... Pretty much everything sounds the same to me on those albums, as if they had their preset stored somewhere and recalled it each recording session... :)

metalizer said:

That makes sense, since Andy LaRocque (guitar player) is a studio engineer, so he probably brought some of his gear to King Diamond's place and practically turned the living room into studio.
Are you guys sure they used POD? Not too bad tones for POD 2.0 I might say.
BTW Who mixed the album?

Yeah i'm sure it was a pod someone who knows Andy told me, it might have been the old pod, who really cares those 3 albums sounds really lifeless compared to the old albums from the 80's.Andy Larocque's a great producer i love the production work he did on Evergray's first 4 albums,but everything King diamond has done after the eye is just to boring sounding even Andy's solos seems to lack the magic from the good old days,they should bring back Roberto Falco,sure all his productions han to much reverb etc. but those albums had a great vibe especially Abigail,Them and the eye.

metalizer said:
Yeah i'm sure it was a pod someone who knows Andy told me, it might have been the old pod, who really cares those 3 albums sounds really lifeless compared to the old albums from the 80's.Andy Larocque's a great producer i love the production work he did on Evergray's first 4 albums,but everything King diamond has done after the eye is just to boring sounding even Andy's solos seems to lack the magic from the good old days,they should bring back Roberto Falco,sure all his productions han to much reverb etc. but those albums had a great vibe especially Abigail,Them and the eye.

It must have been the old pod at least on House of God / Abigail 2 cause podxt was not yet avaivable back then. I have only heard the new albums a couple of times and I have to agree about the songs, but the sound on those albums is not bad at all compared to many recent metal albums.
And 80's reverb rules!!!

They are not crappy sounding productions just boring just like the material, sure there are about 3 or for good songs on all three albums combined and i don't even want to get into Spiders lullaby,The graveyard and voodoo those albums suck i really tried to like them but they are just to boring, Voodoo is the best of those three albums if you ask me.

t_m_h said:
It must have been the old pod at least on House of God / Abigail 2 cause podxt was not yet avaivable back then.

I hate that plastic sound and even more the fact that so many albums got recorded with exactly such sound (At Vance and Falconer come to mind first, the latter being produced by LaRocque, actually...).

metalizer said:
They are not crappy sounding productions just boring just like the material, sure there are about 3 or for good songs on all three albums combined

I'd strongly disagree, cause I feel that House Of God is King's strongest work after the 80s releases. Puppet Master is very good album as well, Spider's Lullabye too, but I agree that Graveyard, Voodoo and Abigail II are not as exciting.