Best Stoner Metal Band?

Timmeth said:
Does Firebird count?

yes

i like a lot of the bands mentioned in this thread.

but no one mentioned UNIDA. They had a great album, Coping With the Urban Coyote. then again, a lot of the Man's Ruin bands haven't been mentioned. shame, too.

And i'm REALLY surprised that Sons of Otis haven't been mentioned (unless i missed it). This band fucking rules.

And, i haven't heard them yet, but have Spirit Caravan been mentioned?

thrashmetal78 said:
Agents of Oblivion. What a great band.

Formed by the remaining members of Acid Bath, then they renamed themselves Deadboy and the Elephantmen.

But the coolest song I think I've ever heard is "Bones of Baby Dolls" By Acid Bath. Check this song out.

1> Agents of Oblivion is not Stoner.
2> They were not formed by remaining members of Acid Bath. Its a totally different band that Dax started.
3> They did not change their name. Dax disbanded Agents of Oblivion, which was only created to finish a record contract with the label Acid Bath was on. He then created Deadboy.

4> My fave Stoner bands:

Sleep
Electric Wizard
The Melvins
Bardo Pond
Slow Horse
War Horse
EYEHATEGOD

One of the very best hasn't been mentioned yet...
THE QUILL!
Other than The Quill,
Clutch
C.O.C./Down
Datura
Monster Magnet (until the last one)
Mindfunk (other than the S/T)
Slow Horse (R.I.P. ??)
Kyuss
Twin Earth
The Obsessed/Spirit Caravan
...and Roadsaw has some really cool songs too

I'm a big fan of the genre, but I agree that crappy vocals are way too common.

And just for the record, Acid Bath's Mike Sanchez joined Dax in Agents of Oblivion....

-Galaxy 500- said:
Who do you think is the best Stoner Metal or Stoner Rock band? Or just tell me some of your favorites.

For me the greatest stoner band is Electric Wizard. I saw them a couple of years ago touring with Enslaved and Macabre. At that gig i was completely sober (I'm ashamed to admit it) But when EW played I felt so stoned (and it wasn't just the 2nd hand stuff either). They're so unrelentingly heavy, they're incredible.

Other favs:

Sleep (you must have Jerusalem, an epic stoner masterpiece)
Cathedral
ORange Goblin
Goat Snake
Internal Void
Pentagram (better than Sabbath at times!)
The Obssessed
Trouble
Place of Skulls
Church of Misery
Boris
Eternal Elysium
Spirit Caravan
Nebula
Fu Manchu
Kyuss

"Drop Out of Life With Bong in Hand
Follow The Smoke towards The Riff Filled Land
Proceeds THe Weedian"
Sleep

Reverend Bizarre said:
I mentioned them on the first page chief :) ....I hung out with them a few months ago at their rehearsal. It freakin' ruled. :cool:

you did? shit, guess i missed it. but at least someone mentioned them :) Temple Ball is one of the best stoner albums period.

Kyuss are the ones!!!

Well, I also like Spiritual Beggars, Fu Manchu, Monster Magnet, Masters Of Reality...which are about all stoner bands I know!!
I am also going to purchase Nebula, Unida, Hermano and Sleep, but...no money yet and no friends which are friends of stoner... :(

I was introduced to Natas a short time ago, and it's the most interesting music I've heard for a long time.. don't know if you would characterize it as Stoner, but I saw someone mention it and they kick ass!!!

And I can also mention Black Debbath; the best stoner act in Norway together with Thulsa Doom. It fucking kills!!! Welcome To Mongo Norway!

Fu Manchu and Kyuss owns as well

I found out about Che, they are Brant Bjork's (ex-Kyuss and ex-Fu Manchu drummer) band, where he plays the guitar and sings.
I got Sounds Of Liberation (2000) and they are good!!!

Oh, I also have to say that I bought it at a very nice price...5 euros!!! Yeah!!! :hotjump: