Best Thrash Singer

Only heard a few songs by them, who was the vocalist that sounds abit shrill like the young Jon Oliva ?

In my opinion, Belladona is amazing in studio but a mess when Anthrax play live. Bush forever!"

For me, best thrash metal singer I´ve ever seen live is Mark Osegueda from Death Angel

Reactions: Wyvern
Chuck Billy. How could anyone possibly disagree? Obviously people have their favourites based on personal preference, but Chuck Billy has by far got the most varied and unique voice I've ever heard in thrash. He has great melody with a touch of hardcore punk raspiness, and can hit Rob Halford-esque high notes (e.g. Over the Wall, The Preacher). Not to mention that he has proven himself to be great at death growls too.
And in fact, I'd say he's one of the best vocalists in heavy metal full stop. Up there with Rob Halford, Ozzy and even Bruce Dickinson.
For that he gets my vote easily.

Are you fucking kidding me?Metallica basicly invented the fucking genre.Master Of Puppets "wasn't really Thrash?"Then...please tell me what the fuck was?Metallica were THRASH all the way up to ...And Justice

Ohh and my votes are Tom as the No.1 followed cloesly by Mille,Chuck and old school Max.
"Metallica basically invented the genre..." Wrong. Motörhead were thrashing before Metallica recorded so much as a note.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, but Motorhead were the first to fuse the speed of punk rock and the heaviness of metal, which, in essence created speed and thrash metal. Philthy Animal Taylor all but invented the basics of thrash/speed metal drumming, from his beats to the way he used his double bass drums.

I suppose, it still seems a little flimsy though. I'd be fine with someone saying that Motorhead invented speed metal. Thrash metal? Not so much.

Perhaps. But Ace of Spades seems to be the album that truly set everything thrash and speed off, from the unremitting velocity, to Lemmy's bass tone, to his growly rasp of a singing voice, to the fact that literally every major thrash band lists them as a primary influence whether it be Metallica, Testament, or Overkill, the band that went as far as having stolen their name from one of Motörhead's albums, to the fact that they heavily influenced all the musical styles that influenced thrash such as the NWOBHM and hardcore punk, to Philthy Taylor's drumming, right down to their "Fuck off and die if you can't handle it" attitude.

I`m a huge fan of Motorhead and I don't think they invented speed metal either. Venom is more a precursor of thrash (and black) for me.

When somebody ask what is thrash I usually go more to Testament or Coroner than to the "Big Four".

Anyway I relate speed to bands like Exciter, Zoetrope, or Hellhound. But the division between speed and thrash is quite blurry sometimes.

I would most definitely say that Motorhead invented speed metal or at least was one of the very first bands in the style. Venom I would say is a good nominee for inventing thrash metal though.

OK I won't mind the distinction. Sure Lemmy would not agree, but Motorhead is so cool they could have invented sex for which I care :D

Venom could be considered, but I have my doubts given they didn't drop a record till '81. Meanwhile, Motörhead had already dropped Overkill and Ace of Spades.

Back in those days singles were as important if not more important than LPs, especially when it comes to influencing a sound. The NWOBHM movement was almost entirely based in singles.