Best Thrash Singer

Back in those days singles were as important if not more important than LPs, especially when it comes to influencing a sound. The NWOBHM movement was almost entirely based in singles.

I'm gonna segue for a minute and say it's always been that way for popular music. Blues was all about the single, as was rock and roll in the 50s, and jazz. And if you look into the abortion that is the modern pop music industry (I would strongly advise against doing such a thing, and I look up to you if you somehow survive the trip) no one buys albums anymore, they all buy singles. Artists in pop music today never bother with big PR campaigns for albums, because singles sell better in popular culture. They don't do well in the underground, because it's a marketing technique we would all cry foul over (for good reason), but it works for mainstream artists.

That only proves my point further given the singles for an album are dropped in advance to an album, meaning the world was exposed to Motörhead's groundbreaking sonic approach all the earlier.

Back in those days singles were as important if not more important than LPs, especially when it comes to influencing a sound. The NWOBHM movement was almost entirely based in singles.

Yeah that's what I love about Roxxcalibur they're rescuing a lot of singles from lesser known bands of the NWOBHM era. Lots of good music that sadly never went beyond the 45 rpm.

Cheers! I agree, it's one of my favourite albums of all time, I love the concept behind it. So good... I won't get into that though, I'd be writing about it for hours.
Oh, believe me, I feel you. Zen Dynasty has always been one of the first albums I reach for when I want some punk along with the whole DK, Ramones, and Sex Pistols catalogues.

Oh, believe me, I feel you. Zen Dynasty has always been one of the first albums I reach for when I want some punk along with the whole DK, Ramones, and Sex Pistols catalogues.
Agreed! I like the fact that the album is filed with social commentary, but isn't up-front about it. It subtly incorporates the themes into the story and that's something that takes them above and beyond any other punk band before them, or after them. They weren't just great songwriters, they were great musicians too, something not often found in punk.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
Anyways, adressing the actual subject of the thread, the best thrash singers are Tom Araya, Steve Souza, Tommy Angelripper, Joey Belladonna, Chuck Billy, Paul Baloff, David Wayne, Mike Howe, and Mille Petrozza.

They're great, I prefer Chuck because his voice is so diverse. He can go from melodic singing to Rob Halford-esque shrieks to death growls and it all sounds natural. Being a good vocalist isn't about being good in one style, it's about being able to transition between styles and make it sound natural. It doesn't have to be as drastic as going from death growls to singing opera (which I'm convinced Chuck could do if he tried), but you get my point.

Natural dynamism is a huge part of being a good vocalist. I don't deny Chuck is a better singer, I just like Tommy and Mille more.

Pretty much. I just like 100% of the punch in my thrash. The way Tommy's voice gels with the rest of Sodom's aggression just does it for me better than most others.

Fair enough. As a music listener I enjoy the punchier stuff, but as a musician I prefer the technical and melodic aspects of bands like Testament. I have my days with both.

Reactions: Wyvern
Testament is one of my favorite thrash bands, but I tend to go for them when I want a more musically even angle to it. Generally I prefer the punchiness a little more though.