"Big" bands you've opened for that turned out to be penises

Cheesebone

Jan 30, 2011
I'm sure lots of us have had some decent opening slots before, and likewise met some cool, down-to-earth musicians in the process.

But, you've also probably dealt with some real boners too.

One that came to mind for me was a show we played with Days of the New last year, the guy (Travis, I think is his name) was just so, just, weird (drugged out?) out and cocky, it was awful. They spent HOURS setting their stuff up, delaying the show by like 2+ hours and were completely unapologetic, had no interest in speaking to anyone or anything...

To top if off, they kinda cleared the place out. People stuck around and watched us & the other openers, all of which were a much better than they ended up being. I'd say half of the crowd was gone by their 3rd song.

Played with Seven Mary Three once and they were at least cordial, although it was a garbage show with ZERO promotion so the crowd was SUPER weak, I'm sure they had a reason to be a little salty, lol.

I don't particularly like naming names but my ex-drummer was in a lot of bands around these parts, and has played a TON of shows with a lot of signed bands and has so so so many stories about them just being utter cunts :lol: Bands I love and respect too. Well... perhaps not respect, not any more anyway.

He was actually telling me this story today funnily enough: He got off stage one night after supporting such-and-such a band, watched the headliners, and went to speak to the drummer, as they were someone he knew and respected, shook his hand and said "awesome show mate, really love your drumming". The guy responded with "wish I could say the same for you".

I would say I've been in super lucky situation since all the bands I've worked with personally have been super cool. But when being a house engineer? Oh man... Worst case was that the "headliner" insisted that everybody uses their drumset... They came in almost 4 hours late to the soundcheck and were totally utter cunts about being there. And to no surprise, they sounded the worst out of the 4 bands that played that night.

Played with Warbringer the other day, really cool dudes, hung out with the drummer out back and had a good time.

Dark Tranquillity: Really nice dudes, they even approach you to say hi. watched our show with attention.
Decapitated: i doubt there are more down to earth guys in Death Metal than these guys, shared their meal, weed and other stuff with us.
Paul Di anno: kind of a clown.
Asesino: Dino sent an asshole to invite our wives to the backstage.
Megadeth: well, not so much to say, even their crew were a bunch of assholes, except Dave`s guitar tech, awesome guy!

Electric 6, with the exception of the drummer, were dicks. Bass player was a total dick.
Hayseed Dixie on the other hand... they were good people.

Played with a few bigger bands that I am really indifferent towards. Can't say they're penises but can't say they're cool either.

Ill Nino, on the other hand, are super cool dudes. They actually asked us to play their show when they were in the area so we were super stoked. We were sitting in the venue waiting to load in and they happened to walk in and acted starstruck by us, haha. It was unreal. They knew our names and everything like they were old fans of our music. And of course, we partied with them on their buss afterwards. Definitely a good time. Also, we were pretty good buds with the dudes in Fair to Midland. Awesome guys and the guitar player dug my style so that's always nice, haha.

Ive never played with any big bands.. and those i met i pretty much only have good things to say about.

Lizzy Borden: Great guys, always fun to hang around with.. i personally found Borden him self being a bit gross as he was always touching on 16 year old girls(But i guess i'm happy for him since its legal in Sweden. :lol:).

Keel: Another awesome band.. Ron was so cool and open, bought me few beers even. Marc was even cooler, i asked him about his gear and he couldnt remember who modified his amps so i started namedropping some of the LA-modders in the 80's, and after that we just sat down and had the worst nerd talk of my life. :lol:
I think we talked for like 2 hours just about guitars and the old times with Pantera(Lots of great stories there, but i'll save those for later! ;)).

Great White: Cool people, but they didn't seem like they wanted to hang around the fans too much.. Shortino was filling in for Russel, and the first thing he did when he walked in to the hotel lobby was to look around at everyone, walk straight up to me and he asked me if i had anything green on me. :lol:
It was cool to meet the guy and talk about the days when he and Dio where friends.

John Corabi: Another cool guy, we didn't talk much but he had that rock star attitude/glow but at the same time he was very easy to talk to.

Pretty Boy Floyd: I don't have this 100% confirmed, but it was hinted to me by a dear friend of mine that she was raped in her sleep by one of the members.. i reacted as any man would and asked who it was because i seriously wanted to kill the guy, but she "wasn't sure what happened because she was drunk".. i believe her, because those guys seemed like assholes from the very start(They had that over the top "we own the world"-attitude that just made me want to slap the shit out of them.

Played/toured with a bunch. Some cool, some not. Won't name any names, but I really don't have any horror stories with any of them.

I was really good friends with Dave Mackintosh from Dragonforce for a good couple of years. Went out drinking and went to gigs together a lot, he was an awesome dude. Friendship kinda dwindled when they got signed to Roadrunner and became huge which was a shame. Haven't seen him on a social level for a few years now but I still see him driving through town.

as house engineer, dino cazares from fear factory is the biggest fucktard I have had the displeasure of working with

In all my years as a metalhead I've heard such mixed reviews of the dude, from both extremes. Some say he's the nicest most humble dude on earth. Others, such as yourself, say he's a prick. I guess it depends on his mood? :lol:

What was he like, specifically?

We Are The Ocean - All pricks
The Blackout - Not too bad, lead vocalist, the blonde one, was a douche.

Worked and met a lot of other bands through the local venue too and most of them were all really nice!

In all my years as a metalhead I've heard such mixed reviews of the dude, from both extremes. Some say he's the nicest most humble dude on earth. Others, such as yourself, say he's a prick. I guess it depends on his mood? :lol:

What was he like, specifically?

Yeah, really!? I know a few people who've met him and said he was like the nicest person they'd ever come across. Maybe he's different socially VS professionally, I know some people are like "hey I'm can be your best friend but if you fuck with my performance then I'll murder your face"