"Big" bands you've opened for that turned out to be penises

Breed77: Singer was sound, dunno about the rest.
Dagoba: Singer and bassplayer were dickheads. Guitarist and drummer were sound.
Necrophagist: Barely spoke to anyone, probably because of their bad english! lol
Raging Speedhorn: Sound. Drummer was a dickhead though, so he got a fucking earful off me! Vocalists and guitarists were dead-on and I had great chats with them!

I learned quickly not to take any shit from bands, no matter how "big" they "think" they are.

Oh man, how could I forget - many here will remember that in Spring '09 I responded to a Craigslist ad selling a Mesa Recto 4x12, and the seller turned oh to be Richard Z from Rammstein :D So I drove down, picked him up from his lower-Manhattan apartment, drove him to his storage space in Brooklyn to get the cab, and then dropped him off back at his crib, all the while talking about Rectifiers, recording, his daughter getting her driver's license, apartments he had looked at that didn't have the right "energy", etc. - in short, a seriously awesom, friendly dude :kickass:

Yeah that was a great story Marcus. Must've been an awesome experience.

I've not opened for any bands, because I've never really been in a proper band, but some of my clients have.

A while back Eye of the Enemy opened for Cradle of Filth. Orpheus and Eye of the Enemy opened for Amon Amarth. Untruth opened for Static-X and Psycroptic. This coming Sunday Elm Street are opening for Airbourne.

I'm sure there's more but I'm too retarded to remember. I'm expecting the In Malice's Wake guys to open for Testament next time they come through. It's about time.

just a few cause the list is pretty fucking big:

Amorphis - toured for over a month with them several years ago... every one of them plus the whole crew = AWESOME people. I still keep in regular contact with them and consider them actual friends

Into Eternity - same tour, not a bad dude in the bunch

Beyond The Embrace - same tour, same as above

Nevermore - several shows together going back to "Politics ..." they always made a point to stand in the front and cheer us on. Couple times just went to go hang with them, once they even blew off a show at a horrible little place and went drinking and shooting pool with us. All of them great guys with some interesting quirks ;) I'm also including Curran and Tim in this

King Diamond - opened for them years ago. Whole band and crew was super friendly a cool as hell except for one person who will remain nameless who, because of him, we weren't even allowed backstage to our OWN FUCKING DRESSING ROOM while King was onstage. The drummer Matt Thompson is really friendly and fucking 10X better on drums than you might imagine

There's quite a bit more but I can honestly say that for any "big" band that I've ever played a gig with, I've almost never met a member or crew guy that was an asshole

Except the Black Crows ... fuck them 1000% We happened to be playing a club on the Amorphis tour called The Chance in poughkeepsie ny. The venue has a club upstairs where we played and the a larger theater club downstairs. The Crows happened to be playing the downstairs the same fucking night. Our drummer and I went to check out their soundcheck after we got done loading in our gear. They told us we couldn't watch them and to get lost. So I yelled at them and their tour manager and told them they could all suck a dick and to not even think about sneaking upstairs while we were playing to check us out. They really didn't know how to react which made it even funnier

fuck them

Nevermore - several shows together going back to "Politics ..." they always made a point to stand in the front and cheer us on. Couple times just went to go hang with them, once they even blew off a show at a horrible little place and went drinking and shooting pool with us. All of them great guys with some interesting quirks ;) I'm also including Curran and Tim in this

King Diamond - opened for them years ago. Whole band and crew was super friendly a cool as hell except for one person who will remain nameless who, because of him, we weren't even allowed backstage to our OWN FUCKING DRESSING ROOM while King was onstage. The drummer Matt Thompson is really friendly and fucking 10X better on drums than you might imagine
r

SAY IT WASN'T KING!!! I'd be pretty bummed if it turned out King was a douche.

And +1 to Nevermore being awesome. I got to play a festival in Austria with them and I hung out backstage before they went on and Atilla even remembered me from a show I played in Seattle and approached ME haha.

I guitar tech'ed for a band that had a mini tour with Fear Factory.

Those guys were absolute pricks.

I didn't see much of Burton, but the drummer was a really arrogant wanker and the bassist was outraged that we even graced their dressing room door to say hi.

Dino was a huge sleaze, and the only reason we managed to go to an after show party with them was because 3/4 of the band were female! We got turned away from the Spearmint Rhino (a famous strip club) because there were too many of us that were guys? WTF?

We did end up getting in to a VIP party and he gave me some free drink vouchers only if I got him some drinks too, like his waitress!

I went from a real fan to severely hating that band, and still do to this day. What a bunch of cunts!

I have a friend who got to hang out with Mercyful Fate a while back...all of them except the King. He said he was nowhere to be seen, like he was hiding from everyone and being really reclusive...everyone else was really cool though.

Played with Dance Gavin Dance back in 2007 or so...of course everyone knows now that Johnny Craig is a waste product except for his singing talent, but it really caught us off guard at the time. I dont remember all the details but this dude was acting like a straight up fucking cunt. Asking us if we had any younger sisters he could fuck and stupid shit like that. What a fag.

I never really go up to the "big" bands I've opened for unless I really enjoy them and listen to them on a regular basis.
We did play a show with A Textbook Tragedy and the vocalist was one of the nicest/tallest guys I've ever met. =D

Played a few gigs with semi bigger bands, havent had any diva experiences to speak of but one good experience was hanging out with Brett Hoffman from Malevolent Creation and some of the guys from Broken Hope after a show, played some drunken darts in the freezing cold weather and having a great time listening to Brett's stories about bad encounters with cops n shit. Hilarious guy, super cool.

If anyone here has played Headhunter's in Austin you may have had Billy Milano do your live sound. Was super friendly to us and even helped us with our gear. He was genuinely interested in getting us a good sound despite the minute amount of pa gear available at the place, maybe because we told him we played extreme metal haha.

I've had some bands open for us, and we all stood right up front and clapped at the end of each song, then when we get up there to set up gear and they just leave the club before we even start playing.

sorry for any perceived thread necromancy, but the thread's a good one and I'm sure it's only been forgotten not dead. :)

Played a few gigs with semi bigger bands, havent had any diva experiences to speak of but one good experience was hanging out with Brett Hoffman from Malevolent Creation and some of the guys from Broken Hope after a show, played some drunken darts in the freezing cold weather and having a great time listening to Brett's stories about bad encounters with cops n shit. Hilarious guy, super cool.

Dude I think that was probably on one of the tours when I was doing Vocals for Broken Hope! haha small world! what city was it in? yeah man Brett is cool as hell and funny as fuck too. had some crazy nights on the Malevolent Creation/Broken Hope tour;-)

We opened for The Haunted last year. They weren't necessarily "dicks" per say, but lets just say the only time we saw them out and about was during their set. Otherwise they were in their bus.

They didnt seem to want to make themselves available for their fans whatsoever. And they were one of my favorite bands at the time.

It made what was supposed to be an amazing, new, experience, feel like just another show.

I've had some bands open for us, and we all stood right up front and clapped at the end of each song, then when we get up there to set up gear and they just leave the club before we even start playing.

As much as I hate this, sometimes it just has to happen. I've done it, I've had it done to my bands, oh well. A lot of times I want to stick around for all the bands but even if we're playing locally, it'll be at least a 30 minute ride home....not counting if we're unloading the gear back at the jam space. I feel bad if I leave before other bands play but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.

Only played with a few international bands which was The Chariot, and that was probably the best weekend of my life. They're probably our biggest influence and at the first show they all came and said hi, and we then started chatting we gave them a test press and "number 5" of our record and they were super stoked. They watched our set after being in transit for 35 hours and said they were legitimately impressed. We then proceeded to hang with them all weekend and at the second show, someone got into the cafe and knocked over a bowl of pears that was apparently a family heirloom of the manager (why it was there who knows?), so the show was shut down. They played a house show for free the next day to make up for it even though it had nothing to do with them. Best dudes out.